Author Topic: Religions and religions  (Read 1678 times)

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
Religions and religions
« on: March 27, 2013, 02:07:57 AM »
Here's my second go. I promise I won't insult anyone (on purpose).

ok, so I have decided that religion is just a set a rules one agrees to live by to protect themselves from harming others, harming themselves, and wasting time. These rules are coupled with faith because, to put it simply, religion is only necessary when nothing else is working. Faith has to be there, because otherwise people are on the verge of loosing all hope for humanity, the world, etc.

So faith is a crucial "chin up" for the debbie downers.

The rest are nice rules to help where help is needed.

So what are our present needs:
We need to protect the environment.
We need to protect children.
And, we need to stop the epidemic of preventable chronic diseases.

How to do this?
Simple, have faith and follow a set of rules:
Make it taboo to buy/produce a certain amount of products which are really effing up the environment.
Turn off lights religiously.
Prioritize ALL children (even autists hehe), and protect them fiercely. This will also "up" the status of women.
Prohibit violence, war, and weaponry.
Finally, make it taboo to consume certain products, and at certain times, which will help us eat healthier.
This will help others, help ourselves, and help the world, and in doing, God(s) definitely think you're cool.

So who's ready to convert?

:P

Joking of course...but what do think, time for a new religion?
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Religions and religions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »

ok, so I have decided that religion is just a set a rules one agrees to live by to protect themselves from harming others, harming themselves, and wasting time. These rules are coupled with faith because, to put it simply, religion is only necessary when nothing else is working. Faith has to be there, because otherwise people are on the verge of loosing all hope for humanity, the world, etc.

How to do this?
Make it taboo to buy/produce a certain amount of products which are really effing up the environment.
Prioritize ALL children (even autists hehe), and protect them fiercely. This will also "up" the status of women.
Finally, make it taboo to consume certain products, and at certain times, which will help us eat healthier.
This will help others, help ourselves, and help the world, and in doing, God(s) definitely think you're cool.

People also use it to bash people and ideas they don't agree with:

BTW I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between religion and a cult?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 03:39:28 AM »

How to do this?

I do think ... and even from this residing, that it could make a case for the necessity of religious faith to underpin morality. I simply disbelieve it to be the case.
Can people of faith be moral? Sure. Can some faith doctrines be immoral? Sure.
Can different faith have different moralities? Yup.
I think religious faith at best is some feel good stories and assurances for people who may be feeling insignificant and purposeless. If religious people find nice morals amongst it all and want to adopt them, no issues. I think too that so long as their religion is not put about as the one truth and that others are lesser people and/or need to convert, all good. (Wasn't a niggle, I knew you were joking)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:34:13 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »
Why not just evolve?

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:24:55 AM »
I've thought of starting a religion myself. It's a good way to make shitloads of money, tax free (just look at Benny Hinn), and a good way to be a total manwhore and fuck everything on 2 legs without looking like a sleazeball.

The one thing you leave out, is all the brainwashing techniques you must employ to have a religion. You have to create guilt about sex and food. You have to make a list of words people shouldn't say and things that are taboo to even think. You have to create meaningless rituals to be followed, songs to be sung, slogans to be repeated and symbols to identify with. It also helps to have martyrs, people love blood and violence in a religion.

Dr. Darrel Ray wrote a book called: "The God Virus: How religion infects our lives and culture" I recommend you read it. I think you'll find that some of your ideas are incompatible with religious brainwashing.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:11:42 AM »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

P7PSP

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
A whole fuckload more Thou Shall Nots:thumbdn: Fuck that! I don't believe any of that invisible friend bs. God can piss up a rope.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »
A whole fuckload more Thou Shall Nots:thumbdn: Fuck that! I don't believe any of that invisible friend bs. God can piss up a rope.

"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Scrapheap

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 01:39:07 PM »
Fuck that! I don't believe any of that invisible friend bs. God can piss up a rope.

A god who can piss up a rope would have to have superhuman abilities, and therefore exist.

Why do you chose not to worship such a god?  :M

Offline Myles

• one
  • Anonymous
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
Religion is nothing more than nonsense which is not needed in modern society. Of course, people have the right to believe in whatever unsubstantiated bull shit they like, but it is too often the case that the rights of a perfectly harmless group are infringed upon by this.

Up-to-date cientific theories have more credibility than religious theories ever have. In my humble opinion, it's time to bury the bull shit and move on.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:16:39 PM by Myles »

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
Don't think of it so much as what you would consider a religion....but more like a pledge. A pledge, that when undertaken by a large group of people can really make a difference.

Sure, over time it might evolve into 'believe or burn'...who knows. I could add a self-destruct clause in the scripture, that "on the day when children are protected, the environment is no longer under threat, etc etc, then this religion serves no purpose for humankind is back on the moral path etc etc"

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
Perhaps I should rename it. Religion is a bit overused.... how about "Order of [something knight-ish]". A pledge that when undertaken qualifies one for some kind of knighthood/warrior status....like the Protectors of the World... or something.

It would be kind of like religion, but not, because there is membership, and loyalty. Like a secret society, except not secret and not with crazy hazing and such. Not like a fraternity either, because identification is not exclusive. It's like...boy scouts or something. You get badges.

Eh?

Offline Myles

• one
  • Anonymous
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »
Perhaps I should rename it. Religion is a bit overused.... how about "Order of [something knight-ish]". A pledge that when undertaken qualifies one for some kind of knighthood/warrior status....like the Protectors of the World... or something.

It would be kind of like religion, but not, because there is membership, and loyalty. Like a secret society, except not secret and not with crazy hazing and such. Not like a fraternity either, because identification is not exclusive. It's like...boy scouts or something. You get badges.

Eh?

My first comment was more to do with religion in general than your idea.

I like it.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »

BTW I was wondering if someone could explain to me the difference between religion and a cult?

Have always understood the difference to be, a religion is a cult which has outlived its founder.

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:42 PM »
Don't think of it so much as what you would consider a religion....but more like a pledge. A pledge, that when undertaken by a large group of people can really make a difference.

No, because most people can't be arsed into giving a fuck.

Sure, over time it might evolve into 'believe or burn'...who knows. I could add a self-destruct clause in the scripture, that "on the day when children are protected, the environment is no longer under threat, etc etc, then this religion serves no purpose for humankind is back on the moral path etc etc"

You don't know how religious dogma works then.  :M