Author Topic: 22 vets commit suicide every day  (Read 535 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
22 vets commit suicide every day
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:47:22 PM »
22 vets commit suicide every day

An estimated 22 veterans commit suicide in the United States every day, a slightly higher number than the 18-per-day rate the Department of Veterans Affairs had indicated in years past, according to a VA study made public today.

"We have more work to do," VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said in a statement released Friday. "We will use this data to continue to strengthen our suicide prevention efforts and ensure all veterans receive the care they have earned and deserve."

The chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee called the pace of veterans suicides unacceptable. "What we're seeing is an extraordinary tragedy which speaks to the horror of war and the need for us to do a much better job of assisting our soldiers and their families after they return home," says Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt.

Rep. Jeff Miller (R-Fla.), chairman of the House VA Committee, said he is holding a hearing Feb. 13 to find out "if the VA's complex system of mental health and suicide prevention services (is) improving the health and wellness of our heroes in need."

Researchers found that the average age of a veteran who commits suicide is about 60. Analysts concluded that Vietnam and female veterans need particular focus.They also determined that a very intense period of risk for suicide is the first four weeks after someone leaves the military, and that this period requires strong monitoring and case management.

The analysis found that the actual number of estimated suicides per day among veterans has remained relatively stable, ranging from 20 per day in 2000 to 18 per day in 2007 and 22 per day in 2009 and 2010, the latest estimates available, according to a report on the study released Friday. The rate of suicide among veterans who use VA health care services has remained steady in recent years, at about 36 per 100,000.

The most common means of committing suicide by veterans — in half of the deaths — is drug overdose or poisoning, according to the VA study.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/natio...e/1883329/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: 22 vets commit suicide every day
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »
This is something that needs to be looked at carefully.  I'm not sure what the ratio of suicides/veterans and suicides/non-veterans is, so I'm not sure if and how much this may be skewed.

They mentioned the age of 60.  That is a difficult age in these times.  The focus is on youth, energy, sex appeal, etc.  Aging can be difficult, health can deteriorate, spouses leave, etc.  How many of the suicides is due to military causes and how many due to ordinary, every day causes.  You can't ask a dead person why they committed suicide.  You have to rely on a suicide note or the say so of the survivirs. 

Any suicide is a loss to the family, friends and to society.  It needs to be looked at carefully.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »

I was only in four years and didn't see any direct combat, and I had a hell of a time transitioning back into civilian life. I can imagine how difficult it is for the people who have seen war.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:29:39 AM »
Poor bastards.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:10:06 AM »
I know my niece and her husband have a hard time with a lot of things to the point her husband is on partial disability.  They were both medics and were in Iraq from the start of the war for a little over three years in many of the areas of the heaviest fighting.  I don't know her husband very well but I know she was very different when she got back
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:32:01 PM »
What is partial disability?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:52:44 PM »

Not full :zoinks:  He can work  and does  but gets a certain amount based on how bad his problems are to help deal with the associated costs like missed work and not being able to work to his full potential.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
Partial disability is defined as an injury or illness, which prevents you from either performing all of the substantial
and material duties of your position, or prevents you from working at least 80% of your normal work schedule,
even if you can perform all of your duties

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 07:09:34 PM »

VA disability is a percentage, ten percent to one hundred percent based on the severity of the injuries.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
That makes so much logical sense and makes me wonder why civilian disability services don't work the same way.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
It makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of disabilities, I was reading about a person who was born without legs. The state has provided her with a motorised wheelchair thingy until now, but want to take it away because "she isn't using it enough". Apparently she uses it for about 13 hours last year while the state thinks 20 or more is more reasonable.

WTF is wrong with this country?  >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
It makes a lot of sense.

Speaking of disabilities, I was reading about a person who was born without legs. The state has provided her with a motorised wheelchair thingy until now, but want to take it away because "she isn't using it enough". Apparently she uses it for about 13 hours last year while the state thinks 20 or more is more reasonable.

WTF is wrong with this country?  >:(

13 hours in a year she does barely use it but they think 20 hours is more reasonable :zombiefuck:  Just think they pay people to keep track of this shit

George Bernard Shaw

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:45 AM »
Isn't the forever war over oil wonderful?
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »

Well its almost over man. We reached peak oil 40 years ago. Oil can't last much more than a couple more decades, probably less.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:03:13 PM »

Well its almost over man. We reached peak oil 40 years ago. Oil can't last much more than a couple more decades, probably less.

My mom remembers them saying we will run out of oil back in the 1950s, I remember them saying it in the 70s,80's,90s and 00's and they always said it was just about to happen

George Bernard Shaw