Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 135835 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #5190 on: March 11, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
Check the rectifier. A capacitor might need replacing. Or you could have blown the coil itself, but you should see that when opening it.

Nah, mine's not that old - it's from the seventies. It's a hybrid with a solid state power supply. It actually has a diode bridge rectifier, but until I can dig out my variable power source, bypass the fuse and carefully bring up the voltage to find out where the current is going, I can't even get past the blown fuse. My fear is that the main power transformer has a problem somewhere.

:bigcry:

Well, the transformer is easy to replace. Or should be, depending on the model. :-\

Things is, when the fuse blows, it usually indicates a short somewhere, and shorts are relatively uncomplicated to find.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5191 on: March 11, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
Check the rectifier. A capacitor might need replacing. Or you could have blown the coil itself, but you should see that when opening it.

Nah, mine's not that old - it's from the seventies. It's a hybrid with a solid state power supply. It actually has a diode bridge rectifier, but until I can dig out my variable power source, bypass the fuse and carefully bring up the voltage to find out where the current is going, I can't even get past the blown fuse. My fear is that the main power transformer has a problem somewhere.

Well, the transformer is easy to replace. Or should be, depending on the model. :-\

Things is, when the fuse blows, it usually indicates a short somewhere, and shorts are relatively uncomplicated to find.

Yep, and if the short is inside the power transformer, I will have fun trying to locate a replacement if the problem is not in the outer windings.
It uses 470V for the B+, so it is not that common.  As far as that goes, it is a relatively newish, Tectronics from the seventies - it's not THAT odd of a unit, either.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5192 on: March 11, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
Mostly slept. I have a cold.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5193 on: March 11, 2009, 02:45:13 PM »

Yep, and if the short is inside the power transformer, I will have fun trying to locate a replacement if the problem is not in the outer windings.
It uses 470V for the B+, so it is not that common.  As far as that goes, it is a relatively newish, Tectronics from the seventies - it's not THAT odd of a unit, either.

470V? No, that's not very common. Still, Tectronics is a very common model so there should be plenty of spare parts around.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5194 on: March 11, 2009, 02:49:18 PM »

Look for Hamfests they throw away nothing like me  :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5195 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Worked an alpha shift. First of many.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5196 on: March 11, 2009, 10:26:09 PM »
Bought a 24" 16:9 LCD Full HD Monitor for my main PC. 1920x1080 goodness here I come.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #5197 on: March 15, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
Got harassed by South Boston Police at the St. Paddy's Parade in Southie! I had an old Coke bottle filled with water and they took it from me when I said it was water and smelled it. Then they asked for ID, which I could not believe. There is no way that water shouldn't have immediately been confirmed as such. I got flustered, because I don't drink alcohol. I can't stand the stuff! I thought I was going to get a ticket for public drinking!!!! Water no less!!!! :-\
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

P7PSP

« Reply #5198 on: March 15, 2009, 10:33:13 PM »
I bought DVDs. I got the special edition of Videodrome, They Live, Bad Influence, So I Married an Ax Murderer, Morons from Outer Space and A Prayer for the Dying. My last Videodrome was in VHS format so I had to get a new one, James Woods is one of my favorite actors and Deborah Harry is in Videodrome as well and she remains one of my favorite singers.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5199 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
Played video games and jerked off

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5200 on: March 20, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
Replaced the head gaskets on a friend's Mustang yesterday, "tested" them today.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5201 on: March 20, 2009, 07:45:51 PM »
Impressed a future client well I think I did anyway time will tell

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5202 on: March 22, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
Installed bead board in one of our bathrooms

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5203 on: March 23, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »
Went shopping for a new Washing Machine. Changed a flat tyre on a busy intersection because there were tiny bits of packing wood with nails on it over the road (must have fallen off the back of a truck).

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5204 on: March 23, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
Washed my windows, repotted plants, paid most of my bills, huge amount of laundry now only needing folding. And some more.
Made a good deal with my ex I think/hope.
Made a long nice phonecall.
And cuddled my bit sick daughter a lot (or she me).
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!