Author Topic: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...  (Read 16877 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...
« Reply #285 on: April 02, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
What member of I2 would you most like to join me in a threesome with?

My answer would have to depend on whether we are talking about a matter of days or weeks on end. If I chose a female for a short time, for instance, it would be all about me, but if I chose a male over a long period of time, the game would inevitably become all about you. Could be a workable plan, if all my yet to be born, virgin selves were not "betrothed."

In either case, I might like to keep a roster of switch hitters on call.
Tag-team fucking?

I know you're kidding.

I was thinking of something a little more sultry.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #286 on: May 03, 2008, 04:08:05 PM »
Today while scavenging through bulk pick up piles I came across a box of vinyl mostly classic rock stuff.  I am probably going to selll them at the flea market but was wondering   if there is some way to tell if they are reprints or from when they came out.  Any web site link  that is understandable by a non expert would be helpfull
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #287 on: May 03, 2008, 09:24:15 PM »
Today while scavenging through bulk pick up piles I came across a box of vinyl mostly classic rock stuff.  I am probably going to selll them at the flea market but was wondering   if there is some way to tell if they are reprints or from when they came out.  Any web site link  that is understandable by a non expert would be helpfull

Wow, nice find, but what you are asking is very complicated. The ways in which LP manufacturers identified their products varies a great deal.

There are often entire sites with fan forums dedicated to figuring out just ONE popular artist's work. Once you get past the numbers on the label it really gets dicey, most of the time. If you mean, by the use of the word "re-print" that you would like to know if the LPs were higher quality like those from major labels, you can often get clues by finding that an Atlantic (for instance) LP was not manufactured by an Atlantic affiliate. That is a certain give-away that it is most likely a re-issue.

The thing to remember is that each time the next record is "pressed" it wears out the master a slight bit. So, if possible, a collector would prefer to own an LP made during the early life of a master disk.  Some masters are also more detailed or "true to life" than others and therefore more desirable. Not only do they wear out over time from use, some masters are lower quality from the beginning also.

In the deadwax (that area after all the music on an LP side, towards the innermost grooves, at the center) there are sometimes clues engraved into the various masters that were used to help identify which vinyl LP was produced by which master, but there is no standard way to enter this information and it was often neglected. People always got creative with that part, too. I have often used google to search what I find in the deadwax, but not all of the inscriptions are categorized and identified.

There is also information (sometimes) at publishing and record companies' websites which helps.

Honestly, it's not a reasonable pursuit for an amateur interest. Once you define the LP by the numbers printed on the label (re-issues often have a different number from the original or in some cases, it is the same, but a series number follows the set of numbers which identifies the group and album) and the "type" of label, stop there. This is basically what I do, because it is so involved researching a run of LPs.

The only ones that I own that I truly know the whole scoop about are the ones that I bought myself out of the first run of pressings at the time of release. Most of the other LPs I own, I  only know details because I got lucky in my research or the lives of the masters were well documented, as in the case of Beatle albums.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:04:14 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #288 on: May 03, 2008, 11:11:41 PM »

Sorry, forgot to put up my favorite link for this type of research. "The Collective" mind at SH.tv can often help sort out what's what.

Steve Hoffman's fan site.

Huge site, stats are amazing ...... Threads: 143,975, Posts: 3,045,873, Members: 16,233

I pop in every so often and exchange private messages, but I don't really go there much these days. A couple of years ago their forum died and much was lost. They got back up soon,  but it would not let me have my name back.

Anyway, don't get discouraged if you ask a question in the music forum. I have asked several early in the morning, often get an answer in minutes and my thread ends up on the fifth page by noon.

:D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:14:50 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #289 on: May 04, 2008, 04:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the link. I have a whole bunch of rare Beatles LPs and singles I need to check, and that place seems to be perfect.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #290 on: May 04, 2008, 06:28:09 AM »
Some are Beatles albums and at least one Zappa one too
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #291 on: May 04, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »
If you give me a list I can give you a rough estimate... it would depend on whether or not they are original/older prints and not newer ones.
Popsike.com is a pretty cool for records, you might find the value of some of yours on that site.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 10:03:27 AM by pseudonym »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #292 on: May 04, 2008, 01:03:56 PM »
Thanks for the link. I have a whole bunch of rare Beatles LPs and singles I need to check, and that place seems to be perfect.

There is actually a disorganised group of members who complain constantly about there being too many Beatle threads.

Fair warning:

It is a family friendly site and it is HEAVILY moderated!

The moderators are called Gorts, like in the movie. most of the Gorts are cool, but don't think of it as a free speech site. It is certainly not.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #293 on: May 04, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »
If you give me a list I can give you a rough estimate... it would depend on whether or not they are original/older prints and not newer ones.
Popsike.com is a pretty cool for records, you might find the value of some of yours on that site.

True, popsike is a site with a few well informed hobbyists.

Steve Hoffman is a true, proven over time, recording professional and many of his forum members are currently active in the music recording industry or the industries offering the consumer electronic goods and services. It would be difficult for me to recommend another, honestly.

Oh and BTW, Steve, the man himself, often responds to topics which interest him. He is a proper post whore when he has the time.

:rofl:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 01:21:58 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #294 on: May 04, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
There is actually a disorganised group of members who complain constantly about there being too many Beatle threads.

I'm not about to post there, but I might read a few threads. :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #295 on: May 04, 2008, 02:57:59 PM »

I'm not about to post there, but I might read a few threads. :D

If I can remember correctly, the last time I searched that site for threads with the word, "Beatles" in the title, there were around six thousand.

Ten times that for the ones which mention the Beatles within the body of the posts.

It's actually an OK place as long as the discussion does not stray from music related topics.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #296 on: May 04, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »
I have a bunch of LPs I need to check so I might try that place.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #297 on: May 04, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »
you can pal up with beatle soul - she's bound to be on there.  :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #298 on: May 04, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
I don't think she was even born when I bought most of my Beatles collection.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #299 on: May 04, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
I don't think she was even born when I bought most of my Beatles collection.

I doubt it and I expect that she would find the place extremely boring.

I think of it as kind of like a reference book.