Author Topic: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...  (Read 16882 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
Thank you :) wish they were in better shape though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

They were considered disposable, to the radio stations, so they rarely went to the expense to make higher quality vinyl transcriptions. As you may know acetate, which was much cheaper, does not last very long unless it is carefully stored in very specific archival conditions.

Many of the early historical photographs, which used acetate as a film backing, have been lost to mishandling and decay of the acetate. Very sad, really.

If you got through that article, yet, it mentions that many of the early "radio programs" are only available to us today, because someone at the station took very good care of their transcriptions, despite the fact that the radio station companies thought of them as disposable.

Recording was also done in those days on "wire" recorders, instead of tape, but the quality was not good for a variety of reasons and they were not permanent either. You could also save money by re-recording a wire, but the transcription discs were not re-recordable.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:17:47 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2007, 06:28:37 PM »

They were considered disposable, to the radio stations, so they rarely went to the expense to make higher quality vinyl transcriptions. As you may know acetate, which was much cheaper, does not last very long unless it is carefully stored in very specific archival conditions.

Many of the early historical photographs, which used acetate as a film backing, have been lost to mishandling and decay of the acetate. Very sad, really.

If you got through that article, yet, it mentions that many of the early "radio programs" are only available to us today, because someone at the station took very good care of their transcriptions, despite the fact that the radio station companies thought of them as disposable.

Recording was also done in those days on "wire" recorders, instead of tape, but the quality was not good for a variety of reasons and they were not permanent either. You could also save money by re-recording a wire, but the transcription discs were not re-recordable.

I got through most of it attics are not really what I'd call very specific archival conditions one the acetate fell off when I picked it up :(
My brother has a wire recorder and extra wire in the original packing in his antique store

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2007, 07:24:46 PM »

I got through most of it attics are not really what I'd call very specific archival conditions one the acetate fell off when I picked it up :(
My brother has a wire recorder and extra wire in the original packing in his antique store

Yeah, everything about attic storage is wrong for acetate. Interestingly, some of the old photos which had acetate and other chemicals breaking down over time, actually became quite a fire hazard as they aged. Not just because of the fact that there was a stack of paper and plastic there, either. As they decay, they release nitrates and sulphides, which is not that far from gunpowder. I would expect that stacks of acetate records, kept in a box and stored in a hot attic would be kind of a bad idea for that reason, too.

Here's a guy selling a few transcription discs if it interests you. His apparently are playable. Of course you would need a special transcription turntable, because the discs won't even fit on most turntables and the tonearms would not be long enough either.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »
Today I worked on an addition that had a type of cable I have not seen before.  It was regular looking coaxial but it had an extra metal weave sheath over it.  I have worked on lots of home theater rooms and never seen this before it seemed a bit much as it wasn't even a real theater room but the other end of the kitchen.  Is this something new an what would be the advantage especially where they put it?

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2007, 04:46:22 PM »
Today I worked on an addition that had a type of cable I have not seen before.  It was regular looking coaxial but it had an extra metal weave sheath over it.  I have worked on lots of home theater rooms and never seen this before it seemed a bit much as it wasn't even a real theater room but the other end of the kitchen.  Is this something new an what would be the advantage especially where they put it?

Double shielding is actually fairly common in permanent installations.

This type of cabling allows the installer to ground one shield on one end of the cable run and the other shield on the other end of the cable run. This does a number of things, but mainly it helps to remove interference in highly active areas, without having to ground both pieces of equipment together through the shielding.

Realize that the two shields will be out of phase with each other by something near one hundred eighty degrees, most of the time, if they have been designed properly, with the proper spacing, and insulation properties for the specific frequency range they are intended to work in. This really helps to eliminate problems associated with EMI.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »
it's a crime not to save and take care of old recordings. stupid companies thought stuff is disposable? no it isn't disposable. >:(
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #217 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:28 PM »
it's a crime not to save and take care of old recordings. stupid companies thought stuff is disposable? no it isn't disposable. >:(

Uhm,

... I just counted, about three weeks agoo,  the old recordings I own. I couldn'nt count the tthe diffferent locations, becaus eiI I don't have them cataloged tha way. I have over nine hudred old tape recordings which I recorded in my headtrip, techie sound dude days.

Theyare more presciouus to me than my own life.

I listen to sopme of themm every single day.

I am a miserable old .......     

....... you decide.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:30:58 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2007, 07:31:46 PM »
what's up, dawg? you sound depressed.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #219 on: December 06, 2007, 07:45:04 PM »
I'm just a bit overstimmed, right now.

I just wen tot a public performance of my sons seasonal prrogram. The poor little fucker was not even there!11

He was constantly looking around at his mates to find hismself and try to keep up.

When he is alone or with a small group, he can kick some booty, but when he is with a group of fiftty or so he loses iot, just like I do.

He hasd not yet realized how to make all groups into one force. I do not knowe how to teach him that trick. He must learn it though, if he is to pursue his interests..

I feel so bad for him right now and his sister is totally high maintenance.

She has tried to monopolise this evening, bt I cannot allow this!!!!

This evening is about him and his needs.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #220 on: December 06, 2007, 07:48:17 PM »

.............  at the same time she is dying, because no one is talking to her.

I have tried and she has been very deep, but I am alone.

M wife is at work. Some of this shit requires two parents to go forard. I can't do it alone.

neither couilsd anyone!!!!!!

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #221 on: December 06, 2007, 11:18:02 PM »
that sucks DD. try to chillax, you don't have to do everything alone. wait til your wife comes home.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #222 on: December 07, 2007, 10:28:10 AM »
I signed off here, last night and we went into my bedroom and had cookies and hot chocolate, while watching a Rock-N-Learn disk. We fell asleep in my bed all together.

The night turned out OK.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #223 on: December 07, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »
good. :laugh:

cookies rule.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
good. :laugh:

cookies rule.

Yes, they do.

I wish cookies for everyone.