Author Topic: Random possibly useful fact  (Read 27517 times)

TheoK

Re: Random possibly useful fact
« Reply #330 on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:54 AM »
I double it up. The textbooks I use were developed by Hans Ørberg. I have heard him read Latin on Youtube. He doubled it up as well. He did pronounce v as v, though, but Roman scholars living 2000 years ago described "v" as being pronounced "with the lips formed like a ring", i.e. like you pronounce w.

The "classical" pronunciation isn't 100% correct either, but it's much closer to how they actually spoke than "church Latin".

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
When traveling with public transport, bringing a newspaper (tabloid size) can come in very handy. It can take away boredom, of course, during long waits. But, also it makes perfect insulation when there are only metal waiting benches available on a cold day.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #332 on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
Harry Nathaniel Allen of The New York Taxicab Co., who imported the first 600 gas-powered New York taxicabs from France, coined the word "taxicab" as a contraction of "taximeter cabriolet". "Taximeter" is an adaptation of the French word taximètre, which is a derivation of the German word taxameter, coined from Medieval Latin taxa, which means tax /charge, together with meter from the Greek metron (μέτρον) meaning measure. A "cabriolet" is a type of horse-drawn carriage, from the French word "cabrioler" ("leap, caper"), from Italian "capriolare" ("to jump"), from Latin "capreolus" ("roebuck", "wild goat").
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:44 PM »
.egaugnal wen a pu edam tsuj uoy ekil dnuos uoy ,rtnecca naissur a htiw thgir ot tfel morf uoy tahw daer neht dna ,sdrawkcab gnihtemos etirw uoy fI
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »
.egaugnal wen a pu edam tsuj uoy ekil dnuos uoy ,rtnecca naissur a htiw thgir ot tfel morf uoy tahw daer neht dna ,sdrawkcab gnihtemos etirw uoy fI

?ereh detresni eb "etorw" dluohS

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »

?ereh detresni eb "etorw" dluohS

.deedni seY !loL
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #336 on: April 30, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
As of today Holland has a (new) king. This, after 122 years of having had queens on the throne.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

TheoK

« Reply #337 on: April 30, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
Corsica est insula magna. Melita est insula parva :toporly:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #338 on: May 04, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
As of today Holland has a (new) king. This, after 122 years of having had queens on the throne.

And what did you think of the dresses of the little daughters of the king of the Netherlands?

In their evening cloaks, they looked like orphans dressed in silk to me. I wasn't the only one. A friend of mine was thinking about the fairytale of "the little match girl" when he saw them.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #339 on: May 04, 2013, 09:44:14 AM »
One should avoid cooking with blueberries.  Instead they should be used as a topping or garnish.  Otherwise your oatmeal turns a funny shade of purple.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
One should instead use blueberries as a preferred ingredient in the water in water pistols. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2013, 12:49:47 PM »
RE Hykey..

Holland, Holland, Holland..  :P

Well, I am aware it would be better to say/write The Netherlands but.. ja, it's not for me. Also, 'normal' English speaking folks use the term Holland more often than they will use The Netherlands, I reckon. Well, doesn't matter much.

The dresses of the three As? Tbh, I haven't seen that much footage on the telly of the day but did see a part of the boat trip (op/rond 't IJ) and there they wore similar looking blue dresses, I thought. Thought Amalia looked a bit grumpy at times too.

But but.. I must say, I gained a bit more respect for the king the last two weeks or so. The interview (on TV) with Maxima and WA was.. good. Um, I already 'loved' Maxima.. she's absolutely great, imo.

Think the timing of it all (de aankondiging van de inauguratie en uiteindelijk de abdicatie zelve) is quite quite good too. Some sort of shaking was/is needed in this country ( = Holland :laugh: ). Kinda hope it's a good incentive to get folks a bit more positive in our neck of the woods.

Well, blah..

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #342 on: May 04, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
Ah, you are from Holland by birth, I am not and I have never lived in one of the Hollands either. So, The Netherlands it is for me.  :viking:

Liked the social awareness and the earnestness of WA. Good counterbalance with Rutte, who seems to think everything is a joke.

Scrapheap

« Reply #343 on: May 04, 2013, 01:48:59 PM »
Barbie's full name is:

Barbara Millicent Roberts.

Your lives are now complete.   :M

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #344 on: May 04, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
I think Rutte is a slippery eal.. and ja, he 'smiling off' serious² stuff, making jokes to lighten it up.. is disgusting really, imo.

Um, king Willem A. (the abbreviation there.. is to protect his privacy) ( :LOL: ) (sørry) did good in said interview.. it tilted my opinion of him 2½ tadskies, I must say.. but thought Maxima, there, was too much in the background. Not to say the lead singer of the band she should be.. but.. being merely backing vocals.. no.

We're now 'allowed' to call him whateverz we please. His words. King, your majesty, welhoogedelvruchtbare.. is not necessary any more. Well, me, being a total anti-authority kind of person, hooray (3x) this. Long live the..   

.. dunno, cannot think of a funny one now (say, hopla, zo uit 't mouwtje).. and not going disrespectful (hic/nunc) here. For ja, I'm not. Je dis 'chapeau' et soit.. vous, votre famille, maintiendrez (en Hollande).

Oinky doinky, I think I've changed from being not a fan at all of our Oranje-Nassau's to someone not that opposed to them any more.. in the last months, I reckon. Um, earlier even. What happened to Friso in Austria.. and thinking about what Beatrix (the family) had to go through.. ja, mellowed me considerably.. concerning..

Well..