Educational

Author Topic: Random possibly useful fact  (Read 27242 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Random possibly useful fact
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
This thread should not be stickied.  I call abuse of power.
Misunderstood.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #241 on: April 04, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »
Today marks the 45th anniversary of the death of one of America’s great heroes and a giant of the Civil Rights Movement, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #242 on: April 04, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »
A coffee can (12.5oz) full of change with no pennies is about $110-$120
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2013, 06:17:43 PM »
a jar with 7lbs of quarters is about $140

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #244 on: April 04, 2013, 06:21:47 PM »
a jar with 7lbs of quarters is about $140

I should have weighed the can before I took it to the bank.  I still have the change in the van which is about the same amount I will weigh that if I remember
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline skyblue1

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #245 on: April 04, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
 young man sprinkling his lawn and bushes with pesticides wanted to check the contents of the barrel to see how much pesticide remained in it.

He raised the cover and lit his lighter; the vapors ignited and engulfed him. He jumped from his truck, screaming.
 His neighbor came out of her house with a dozen eggs and a bowl yelling:
"bring me some more eggs!"

She broke them, separating the whites from the yolks.

The neighbor woman helped her to apply the whites onto the young man's face.

When the ambulance arrived and the EMTs saw the young man, they asked who had done this.
Everyone pointed to the lady in charge.

They congratulated her and said: "You have saved his face."

By the end of the summer, the young man brought the lady a bouquet of roses to thank her.
His face was like a baby's skin.

Keep in mind this treatment of burns is being included in teaching beginner fireman. First Aid consists of first spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced which stops the continued burning of all layers of the skin. Then, spread the egg whites onto the affected area.

One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.

She later learned that the egg white is a natural collagen and continued during at least one hour to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white. By afternoon she no longer felt any pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. 10 days later, no trace was left at all and her skin had regained its normal color. The burned area was totally regenerated thanks to the collagen in the egg whites, a placenta full of vitamins.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:33:32 PM by skyblue1 »

TheoK

« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »
In German most rivers in Europe are feminine. Exceptions are the Rhine, the Main, the Neckar, the Inn and a few more.

Outside Europe most rivers are masculine, though. A few ones ending with -a are feminine, though.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2013, 03:40:03 PM »
In German most rivers in Europe are feminine. Exceptions are the Rhine, the Main, the Neckar, the Inn and a few more.

Outside Europe most rivers are masculine, though. A few ones ending with -a are feminine, though.

In north america in the east and central parts, women are the keepers of the water- and the earth along with it's rivers and lakes are in general portrayed as feminine. I have known the moon to be portrayed as female as well, probably having to do with the tides, and a woman's period. Meanwhile, the men are fire keepers, and the sun is generally portrayed as male.

Interestingly..I have always thought of the ocean as more male...probably because of poseidon.

On that note, the greeks portrayed freshwater rivers and streams as more female domains too. Water nymphs in the early days of the Roman kingdom, would marry kings and keep records of their history.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:41:50 PM by sg1008 »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

TheoK

« Reply #248 on: April 12, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Big waters are usually feminine in German. The Pacific Ocean is male, though. In Latin big waters are usually maculine.

Though I'm talking about grammar  ;)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #249 on: April 13, 2013, 03:20:16 AM »
German grammar was always fascinating in that respect. It's a reasonably logical language but the articles have no discernible logic.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #250 on: April 13, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »
German grammar was always fascinating in that respect. It's a reasonably logical language but the articles have no discernible logic.

I totally agree. Another example: Schüssel=bowl is feminine. Schlüssel= key is masculine. Doesn't make any sense at all.

TheoK

« Reply #251 on: April 13, 2013, 04:45:56 AM »
To some extent you have that in Latin too. The ending -us is usually typically masculine, but some words with it are feminine or neuter. Also that is just in the nominative. The other cases look different.

The ending -a is always feminine except in very few words concerning male occupations etc: agricola, nauta, pirata.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:12 PM »

I totally agree. Another example: Schüssel=bowl is feminine. Schlüssel= key is masculine. Doesn't make any sense at all.

think of the shapes.  A bowl is round and empty, like a woman and her vagina.  A key is strong and shaped like an arrow or penis in general. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

TheoK

« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2013, 02:07:50 PM »

think of the shapes.  A bowl is round and empty, like a woman and her vagina.  A key is strong and shaped like an arrow or penis in general.

Yes, that might be why. But why are rivers feminine in Europe but masculine elsewhere? In Latin rivers are usually masculine.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
Ich habt keine ahnung!
Misunderstood.