Educational

Author Topic: Random possibly useful fact  (Read 27246 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Random possibly useful fact
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:37 PM »
The newer AKG K240 headphones have a lower impedance than their predecessors, only 55 Ohms.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:15 AM »
Latin carus (dear) is cognate with Swedish kär (dear). It is however also cognate with whore, hora and German Hure. The original meaning of the word "whore" is "dear". It wasn't before the pest of Christianity that a whore became something "bad" among Germanic peoples.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
Miss Kitty's problem with her sneaky husband (ex to be) reminded me of this tip that we used when I worked (pre-computer, of course).

When checking something, don't read it forward, read it backwards.  It makes you focus more and errors show up.  Same thing when comparing numbers, read one of them backwards. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2012, 11:17:45 PM »
  .sdrawkcab meht fo eno daer ,srebmun gnirapmoc nehw gniht emaS  .pu wohs srorre dna erom sucof uoy sekam tI  .sdrawkcab ti daer ,drawrof ti daer t'nod ,gnihtemos gnikcehc nehW

.)esruoc fo ,retupmoc-erp( dekrow I nehw desu ew taht pit siht fo em dednimer )eb ot xe( dnabsuh ykaens reh htiw melborp s'yttiK ssiM

You sure it helps? :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »
  .sdrawkcab meht fo eno daer ,srebmun gnirapmoc nehw gniht emaS  .pu wohs srorre dna erom sucof uoy sekam tI  .sdrawkcab ti daer ,drawrof ti daer t'nod ,gnihtemos gnikcehc nehW

.)esruoc fo ,retupmoc-erp( dekrow I nehw desu ew taht pit siht fo em dednimer )eb ot xe( dnabsuh ykaens reh htiw melborp s'yttiK ssiM

It's a great proofreading tip.  You don't read the letters backwards, you read the sentences beginning to end but out of sequence.  Last sentence first, second to last sentence second, etc...

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

Bass ackwards.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »

It's a great proofreading tip.  You don't read the letters backwards, you read the sentences beginning to end but out of sequence.  Last sentence first, second to last sentence second, etc...

:tard:  :asthing:

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »

How did you do that?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

P7PSP

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2012, 08:07:38 PM »
Charlotte's Web is a great learning tool for children. Like Dr Seuss White did not believe that long words were too much for children to understand, he did not talk down to his target audience. White was a private man who would leave via the fire escape if an interviewer was laying in wait for him. I have always inferred that he must have been a wonderful human being to have written such a great book. White died from Alzheimer's Disease on October 1st 1985.  :( RIP Mr White.  :thumbup: :viking:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
Charlotte's Web is a great learning tool for children. Like Dr Seuss White did not believe that long words were too much for children to understand, he did not talk down to his target audience. White was a private man who would leave via the fire escape if an interviewer was laying in wait for him. I have always inferred that he must have been a wonderful human being to have written such a great book. White died from Alzheimer's Disease on October 1st 1985.  :( RIP Mr White.  :thumbup: :viking:

Alzheimer's sucks, RIP Mr. White and all the other dementia patients.  :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2012, 09:24:03 PM »

Alzheimer's sucks, RIP Mr. White and all the other dementia patients.  :viking:
:agreed:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
When you finally get that quiet resolution and confidence in your mind that you can do or change something, changing or doing is achievable.  I've reached that state and while I'm not perfect yet (maybe 8 out of 100), it's definitely easier to do several little things that bring me closer to my life-changing goal. Each day I at least keep the goal and the steps needed to get there in the front of my mind and do a little bit.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2012, 03:00:30 PM »

Charlotte's Web was a great book, but this was his greatest contribution to the written word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style

TheoK

« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
Roman men expressed surprise, annoyance or enthusiasm with the word edepol="by Pollux". Roman women said ecastor="by Castor".

P7PSP

« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »

Charlotte's Web was a great book, but this was his greatest contribution to the written word:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Elements_of_Style
He was a man of many talents.  :viking: