Educational

Author Topic: What are you gonna do tomorrow  (Read 61063 times)

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
Re: What are you gonna do tomorrow
« Reply #1020 on: September 22, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
I will go to school.

I will also call that guy I took the pledge of resistance with.  It's been awhile since I've heard from him. 

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1021 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Go to the bank and some other errands
Hopefully fix the dishwasher
Sort and organize the hoard
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1022 on: September 28, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »

... about insulation ...

I am told that my crawlspace should be insulated on the sides and bottom and the interior of the space should be open to the heat and air like the rest of the house.

What do you think of this "new thinking?"

I have four inch thick concrete, five feet deep, surrounded by solid building blocks all around the perimeter of the concrete, rising another four inches, whch the house sits on (with about forty pylons made of the same mareial). I have massive insulation against the flooring from undermeath, but I am told that I would be better off to allow the heater and air conditioner to enter the crawlspace and insulate the sidewalls better.

What do you think?

I live in Central Indiana. Sometimes it gets to twenty or thirty below, Fahrenheit, in winter. It also gets into the upper nineties for a couple of months every summer and occasionally over one hundred degrees.

Should I trust my construction "professional"  and allow him to do this work?

Would I be better to insulate the perimeter of my crawlspace and allow it to be a conditioned air space, all year long?

Sorry didn't see this till now.  Insulating the walls is the way to go especially if there is plumbing or duct work in the crawlspace.  Make sure to deal with any moisture problems first though.  There are many ways of insulating the walls, be careful if he suggests spray foam especially if he doesn't mention that you have to stay out of the house 24-72 hours after the install.

Nah, I am about to pull the trigger. His plan makes great sense to me.

He wants to lay in two inch "Styrofoam"  around the block brick foundation/ interior walls of the crawl space, place heat/cold activated vents around the perimeter and open a small duct from our HVAC unit very twenty feet or so, size of which would depend upon the absolute pressure in the vent at each point.

My crawl space is totally dry, so no problems there. There is plumbing below the house; Some hot lines and ALL the drains. I have had a pipe and a toilet freeze up solidly a few years ago, bursting and causing some water underneath, when it was thirty below zero F. one winter. That was rare. Our lowest temp is usually about fifteen below.

What do you think about venting our HVAC system into the crawl space for a further protective measure?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1023 on: September 28, 2013, 12:37:48 AM »

... about insulation ...

I am told that my crawlspace should be insulated on the sides and bottom and the interior of the space should be open to the heat and air like the rest of the house.

I have four inch thick concrete, five feet deep, surrounded by solid building blocks all around the perimeter of the concrete, rising another four inches, whch the house sits on (with about forty pylons made of the same mareial). I have massive insulation against the flooring from undermeath, but I am told that I would be better off to allow the heater and air conditioner to enter the crawlspace and insulate the sidewalls better.

What do you think?

I live in Central Indiana. Sometimes it gets to twenty or thirty below, Fahrenheit, in winter. It also gets into the upper nineties for a couple of months every summer and occasionally over one hundred degrees.

Would I be better to insulate the perimeter of my crawlspace and allow it to be a conditioned air space, all year long?

Yes, it's a good idea.

You seem to have surprisingly bad insulation in the US, considering that the northern parts of the country are actually as cold as here.

I think it is a bit disturbing that you are judging an entire third of a continent by one post made to a fellow poster about a very specific issue.

If you really wanted to help, you would cite some scientific data that might provide me with answers to my specific question, helping me to make a decision on a very expensive home improvement, instead of making broad brush strokes against Americans at every turn.

Your post reminds me of the "Eye DEE Ten T"  error, so common on the net these days.

(Write it out ...  "id10t")
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #1024 on: September 28, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »

... about insulation ...

What do you think?

Yes, it's a good idea.

You seem to have surprisingly bad insulation in the US, considering that the northern parts of the country are actually as cold as here.

I think it is a bit disturbing that you are judging an entire third of a continent by one post made to a fellow poster about a very specific issue.

If you really wanted to help, you would cite some scientific data that might provide me with answers to my specific question, helping me to make a decision on a very expensive home improvement, instead of making broad brush strokes against Americans at every turn.

Your post reminds me of the "Eye DEE Ten T"  error, so common on the net these days.

Here and here are two sites that deal with your options for crawlspace insulation. Just so you know, the data for both sites comes from the same place.

If you're sure that your contractor is trustworthy, then go for it. Just be sure that the job is done right. :thumbup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1025 on: September 28, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

... about insulation ...

What do you think?

Sorry didn't see this till now.  Insulating the walls is the way to go especially if there is plumbing or duct work in the crawlspace.  Make sure to deal with any moisture problems first though.  There are many ways of insulating the walls, be careful if he suggests spray foam especially if he doesn't mention that you have to stay out of the house 24-72 hours after the install.

He wants to lay in two inch "Styrofoam"  around the block brick foundation/ interior walls of the crawl space, place heat/cold activated vents around the perimeter and open a small duct from our HVAC unit very twenty feet or so, size of which would depend upon the absolute pressure in the vent at each point.

My crawl space is totally dry, so no problems there. There is plumbing below the house; Some hot lines and ALL the drains. I have had a pipe and a toilet freeze up solidly a few years ago, bursting and causing some water underneath, when it was thirty below zero F. one winter. That was rare. Our lowest temp is usually about fifteen below.

What do you think about venting our HVAC system into the crawl space for a further protective measure?

Adding a little heat down there is not a bad idea it will not cost much and will give you that extra bit of protection.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1026 on: September 28, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Tomorrow I am selling at the flea market

George Bernard Shaw

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #1027 on: September 28, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »

... about insulation ...

What do you think?

Adding a little heat down there is not a bad idea it will not cost much and will give you that extra bit of protection.

That's what she said. 

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1028 on: September 28, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
Got a hotplate to fix and a power supply needing a fused, melted part of the wires needing spliced out and soldered back together again. Hopefully my old man has some heat-shrink tubing around, save me having to wrap it up in ugly layers of duck tape.

And I need to both clean the layer of verdigris off the plug terminal of my lab microscope, and de-rust plenty other metal stuff in the lab. And put a damn cork in that fucking drum of conc. hydrochloric that I guess to be the guilty party here. Fucking fumes.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1029 on: September 28, 2013, 07:45:12 PM »
Tomorrow I am selling at the flea market

Hope you Win the day!!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1030 on: September 28, 2013, 07:55:24 PM »

Since we are not going to the Bahamas, I plan to finish my "friend's"  requested bass box. I will at least collect some money by next week's end.

I can finish it in one day. Getting him here to pay up will take a number of days, since he is out of town on a musical run.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1031 on: September 28, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »

OT:

I plan to just spin vinyl, watch a movie,   cook on the grille.

Shit!! My best plans have come to shit.

:'(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1032 on: September 29, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »
Going to talk to my opthalmologist. Work. Etc.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1033 on: September 29, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

... about insulation ...

What do you think?

Yes, it's a good idea.

DID ANYONE EVEN GET THAT!???!

It was brilliant!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1034 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:43 PM »
Going to talk to my opthalmologist. Work. Etc.
Buena suerte!

I had a good visit, lately.

I also had a massive physical (Almost two hours) from my GP, this week. He even checked my reflexes (Going down my spine, with a nurse standing by).

Had blood work done as well.

ALL my (four fucking pages!! FFS) bloodwork was perfect, except for the fact that my Cholesterol is a bit too high and my triglycerides are also too high.

The cholesterol is due to intaking too many fatty burgers and fat in general. My triglycerides could be high due to an early warning for the onset of Type Two Diabetes.

I am a bit concerned about this. 

My eyes are good though. I had a massive test with my own ophthalmologist one month ago.  I have new glasses!