Educational

Author Topic: What are you gonna do tomorrow  (Read 61066 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: What are you gonna do tomorrow
« Reply #1620 on: June 01, 2015, 10:53:15 AM »
The Great War went mainly past my country. Apart from the German Emperor taking refuge, and Belgian refugees coming here. And of course, there always were people profiting from it.
I barely learned anything about the Great War (WWI) in primary school.
When I learned about it later, I got to understand why that one was called the Great War.
With explosions in France that big that it could be felt in London, trench-wars everywhere. And so many casualties.

WWII was gruesome. But WWI has horrors on a different level, at least as gruesome.

It's weird to listen to memories that made big impressions on kids during WWII. For my father (a young kid at that time) one big impression was seeing grown men cry in the streets, when Germany entered the Netherlands. Men who had been members of the party that then collaborated with the invaders. Some of them threw their membership away. Some stayed. A few stayed, using it as cover for resistance work. Those were few, but they were there.
For my mother (just a bit older than a toddler) one of the lingering impressions was her father with tuberculosis, living in a glasshouse. He had been mobilised at the start of the war. Him getting tuberculosis made that he was not transported to Germany later.
What impressed the father of my mother the most was when he was in hospital, few days after the war started, because of a bloody pneumonia (start of the tuberculosis). And there, from his bed, he saw Rotterdam getting bombed and burning. That image never left him.

For the Dutch the war wasn't over till the Japanese had surrendered either. Lots of men who fought in Indonesia later got post war issues. Some went bonkers. No one called it shell shock or PTSD. That was what it was of course. And not all they had to do there was something they could take pride in later.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1621 on: June 02, 2015, 10:07:15 PM »
... {edited}

And not all they had to do there was something they could take pride in later.

My grandfather was a trench soldier in the US Army on several fronts in Europe in "The Great War." Even forty years later, when I was a kid, he would not talk about his time overseas during the war.

We had a few pictures, a German bayonet that he had taken, a primitive Luger, his uniform and unit insignia, a weird flag that he had saved and some letters from him that were delivered about ten years later to my grandmother, well after the war had finished.

I was sixteen when he went and he never talked about the war to any of us as far as I know. He was a strong man and he protected his family (and his country), quietly and to himself, from the horrors he had endured.

I attended his "Full Military with Honors" funeral when he died. There were over one hundred soldiers from that war and more than two hundred from WWII.
 I was fine with all the honors and even the twenty one gun salute to his honor but I broke down when they played Taps.
That was just too much for me as a teen.  I kind of teared up again when they presented the flag that had covered his coffin to my grandmother.

The Honor Guard had taken up position around the grave site and were to stand at attention until all the family had left.
It was amazing how they honored him and he was generally a "grunt," (he only ascended to the rank of corporal during the war) NOT a decorated officer or anything.
I am kind of tearing up now.

... forty three years after ...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:12:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1622 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »
back on topic ...

I found something in the alley this evening. Pretty sure I know to whom it belongs. I plan to investigate and return it.

It is one of these fairly serious two and some horse power Huskvarna chainsaws :

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1623 on: June 03, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
Going to work. It's my last day in the office before returning back home. I'll be back in London in a little less than four weeks, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #1624 on: June 03, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »
Got class

Offline MLA

• Elitest Aspie of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • The internet isn't a library, it's a stage.
« Reply #1625 on: June 03, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
Fucking boat won't start.  So looking at another boat.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #1626 on: June 03, 2015, 01:34:15 PM »
Going to yoga!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1627 on: June 04, 2015, 02:28:18 AM »
Some housework needs to be done and then I will go to the gym.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1628 on: June 04, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
back on topic ...

I found something in the alley this evening. Pretty sure I know to whom it belongs. I plan to investigate and return it.

It is one of these fairly serious two and some horse power Huskvarna chainsaws :

Those are pricey  :plus: for trying to find the owner
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1629 on: June 04, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
Going back home. :)

I'm planning to spend most of the day at Heathrow, working. Might as well, the idea of dragging around luggage in central London is not appealing.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1630 on: June 04, 2015, 09:24:44 PM »
back on topic ...

Those are pricey  :plus: for trying to find the owner

It was my neighbor who had left it outside. Fortunately it was "me"  who found it.
Any of us "neighbors" would have returned it, I just happened to be the one who found it first and, yeah the owner has it back in his own hands.

We actually have a neighborhood watch, informal, but effective, going on in our neighborhood.
It was a mistake that this piece of gear was left outside, but this is why so many of us patrol our back alleys. 

There are twenty four of us who watch out for others in our area and all but three have licences to carry concealed firearms.

I do not generally conceal the fact that I am well armed. I often carry a ten million candle power flashlight as well (twelve volt, big ass box - heavy as hell). I use it at one tenth power, mostly, but when I need to light up the entire street, I just hit full power.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:08:50 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1631 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:12 AM »
I am visiting my friend who is in hospital again, this time she is sick with side effects or withdrawals from medication. She is obese and apparently they tried to get her to use an extra toilet seat so she wouldn't break the one that is there. At first she was angry but then she was upset and said she was going to leave. I convinced her to stay because she is there for more reasons than a toilet seat. She is there to get better. I am just hoping she doesn't self harm as she has done in the past when upset.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1632 on: June 06, 2015, 03:59:57 PM »
I am visiting my friend who is in hospital again, this time she is sick with side effects or withdrawals from medication. She is obese and apparently they tried to get her to use an extra toilet seat so she wouldn't break the one that is there. At first she was angry but then she was upset and said she was going to leave. I convinced her to stay because she is there for more reasons than a toilet seat. She is there to get better. I am just hoping she doesn't self harm as she has done in the past when upset.
:hug:

It's hard, seeing a friend going up and down again that way for so long.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1633 on: June 06, 2015, 04:16:45 PM »
Yard work
Possibly put a new receiver hitch on the van
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1634 on: June 06, 2015, 04:52:21 PM »
Going to do some cleaning around the house.

- Albert Einstein