Author Topic: working in a call centre  (Read 409 times)

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
working in a call centre
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
I'm finding it a bit tricky to say the least and i'm three months in.  My problem is dealing with people that are seriously not happy - they turn into long calls and i've been told to bring the average call time down.  anyone else who has more experience with this sorta thing, any tips on how to get them off the ph... i mean resolve their query efficiently?

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: working in a call centre
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
I'm finding it a bit tricky to say the least and i'm three months in.  My problem is dealing with people that are seriously not happy - they turn into long calls and i've been told to bring the average call time down.  anyone else who has more experience with this sorta thing, any tips on how to get them off the ph... i mean resolve their query efficiently?
tell them you need to transfer their call to someone higher up.

then either put them on hold or hang up

other call center folks do this, if it hasnt happened to you, then you are lucky

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:08 PM »
That reminds me of this old joke.

One lieutenant in the Pentagon was constantly overburdened with paper work.  He noticed that a sergeant in the department usually went home each evening with a clean desk.  He watched the sergeant for a while but couldn't figure out how he did it.  Finally, he went and asked him.  "Well, I figure that somewhere in the Pentagon there has to be a Lt. White. So each evening I forward everything to him."

The lieutenant started to beat up the sergeant, screaming, "You SOB!  I'm Lt. White!"
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 06:29:30 PM »

other call center folks do this, if it hasnt happened to you, then you are lucky

I tend to get the customers who have had this done to them

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:37 PM »

I tend to get the customers who have had this done to them
sounds like QV`s joke may apply to you

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
Your a brave man for working in a call center phones disturb me greatly. :viking:
I was the guy brought in to deal with angry customers  at my previous jobs and it's not pleasant but time was not always a factor just that they were happy and paid their bill.  Are your coworkers getting as many difficult calls? They may be able to give you the best advise
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:38:16 PM »
Agree with parts.

I am awful on the phone, I try to get others to make my phonecalls if I can because I am such a wuss. I succeeded in doing this yesterday, heh.

:plus: for working in a call centre.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
I don't know how to help because I have never done this before.

You have my respect for being able to do it, though.

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:54:15 PM »
Hang up the phone on them.
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline V

• Good Twin of the WP Modfag of the Aspie Elite
  • Constant Poster
  • _________(feel free to fill the blanks)
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
I thought you worked at a restaurant, odd.

Anyhow I dont have any experience with this sort of thing but someone that does told me this(for a similar situation):

it's up to you if you think there is something to gain from helping him... i think it can become a black hole, where you are pouring your advice and support into a person who will not help themselves and seeing no improvement. and if they don't improve you wouldn't want to abandon them either so you end up connected to them when the initial crisis has long past(it was a approaching a member that seemed to need help situation so the last bit doesnt apply probably).

the difference to me is really between someone having an immediate crisis, and someone with dysthymic depression who is constantly in a low-grade depression. if you contact someone like the latter privately in a sympathetic way, they quickly make you responsible for their well-being if you don't establish very strong boundaries.

I believe she has some experience on this field and you have probably contacted her about it already but  if you havent please do so.(this was the point of my post but it seemed to small so I thought I´d add the above paragraph even if its not entirely applicable to this situation)

Glad to see you decided to take a break from lurking.
"I love that DSM-V is acknowledging sensory issues by including it in the diagnostic criteria. However, I would like to propose to DSM that a new one be included called "DKSA" (aka "Dont' Know Shit about Aspergers")" Rudy Simone

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:18 AM »
Take control of the call from the outset.
Tell them. "OK Mr Jones, can you tell me very briefly what happened without going into too much detail and I will summarise what you have said'. Empathise with their plight but do not apologise unnecessarily and certainly not for your oown efforts. It is not a chance a pity party but the chance to come to an outcome that they will appreciate.
Do not suggest anything outside of what the company can offer.
Most of the phone companies have call centres offshore and the banks, insurance companies and even the energy companies are following suit. I dunno what kind of companies you work for but I will give you an exampe of a telelphone company type phone call.

Wrong way

"Hello this is bucephalus speaking'
"Finally got through to someone. I have been waiting forever..."
"I am so sorry Sir. Our lines are really busy at the moment and you are right the call cue is really long. We are really trying to answer the calls as quickly as possible. There are just a lot of people calling in"
"I am not bloody surprised. You guys don't deal with us right the first time. I have had three people hang up on me and it is costing me a fortune. What are you guys doing in there?"
"Sorry, you are right. I am sorry they have hung up on you. Do you have their names , perhaps i could put through a complaint about how you have been dealt with?"
"Bad enough that I get the wrong bloody phone and the wrong plan and can't activate my sim card when I try to get through to your stupid company but when i do you hang up on me! Its bloody unbelievable"
"I do apologise i don't hang up on people "
'Everyone else does there. Seems noone can help me"
"I would really like to" (Sees Manger giving you a wind up the call) *Panics because you are no nearer to knowing where you are*
"Umm...Sir could i start by having your name?"

Better way

"Hello this is bucephalus speaking'
"Finally got through to someone. I have been waiting forever..."
"Ok My apologies. To help look after you I am going to have to grab a couple of quick details for verification. Could I have your name and address and your date of birth"
'Oh here we go again...Jim jones..1 Lakeside street, penrith....20/07/1983'
"Thanks for that Jim. Bear with me a moment as I quickly get your account up. Now having a look here i can see notes here stating you have ordered an Iphone 3 on a cap 29 plan. is that correct?"
No...bloody hell. I order an Iphone 4 on a Cap 69 plan! Can't you clowns do any bloody thing right? Is this the best i can expect. Cap 29!..."
"OK Jim i am going to have to just clarify. You were saying when you ordered the phone at the Penrith Branch of Crappy Phones are Us, you ordered an Iphone 4 on a 69 plan but were instead given an Iphone 3 on a Cap 29 plan instead?"
"Yeah."
OK bear with me a moment longer, I have the application you filled in here on the system and i will have a quick look at it there.....You are right mr Jones. You have been given the incorrect phone and placed on the incorrect plan and this is different to what you asked for.

*Manager gives you hurry up sign but you are almost done*

'What I am going to do to fix this situation is...'

That is what I would do were i you mate :)
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:56:21 AM »
Good luck. I almost always let my partners take the calls at work. Being exposed almost every minute to the customers is more than hard enough for me.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 07:02:22 AM »
No advice.

Just  :plus: that your able to do this.

I can't deal with people on the phone at all, this would be my version of hell.

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
I've not read half of the page yet, but i'm very pleased with the amount help so far.  you've given me more than my boss has given me!!  And hi V

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
I don't know how to help because I have never done this before.

You have my respect for being able to do it, though.

cheers, I'm relying on the fact that it will inevitably get easier over time

Take control of the call from the outset. ....

there is some good stuff in your post. i do allow customers a bit too much free reign within the call.  it's a matter of remembering to keep control, even when i think i have an easy call.  my job is in a mobile phone company btw.  And the pizza place was my previous job, V