Educational

Author Topic: Query Psychophant  (Read 991 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Query Psychophant
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:46 PM »
As an Emt how much training do you receive in driving the emergency vehicles? I know the firemen here get a lot of training and they are really good,  the police are supposed to get it but they are not so good at it but by far the worst where I am are the ones that drive the ambulances.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Query Psychophant
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
 I am curious about people who stay calm in life-and-death situations.  Have you always
 been able to handle emergencies well?  Do you feel especially clear-headed in a crisis?  :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 07:34:46 PM »
How are your ribs feeling now?

Psychophant

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
Ribs feeling better!  As for training to drive, we have designated drivers and I'm almost one of them.  Ambulances are in between cop cars and trucks.  It's a lot like driving a mid size U-Haul truck.  It has switches to activate and notify traffic lights that we're coming thru.  Training is pretty sketchy, we go thru the same type of practice that firefighters go thru with the big rigs.  It's hard to describe. 

Psychophant

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
I am curious about people who stay calm in life-and-death situations.  Have you always
 been able to handle emergencies well?  Do you feel especially clear-headed in a crisis?  :orly:

For the most part yes.  It's the before and after that I get the sinking gut feeling.  But, during the actual crisis for some reason I get into a hyperfocus mode  to deal with my part of the work.  It's a team approach.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »
This is a photo of an accident that happened because the driver in the pickup truck (now under the school bus) was texting while driving.  I know there was no need for EMTs for the guy.  My question (and a serious one) is how is the body removed from such a mangled piece of wreckage?

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »
I know they use something called the jaws of life here. They are metal cutters/benders or something.

Just realised there is a similar thread to this: http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,18087.0.html
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »
I know they use something called the jaws of life here. They are metal cutters/benders or something.

Just realised there is a similar thread to this: http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,18087.0.html

I know about the jaws of life, but he's got to be pretty well integrated into the pick-up.  It's almost like an episode from Bones.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 02:34:26 AM »
:trainwreck:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:06:52 AM »

They used that to cut me out of my lasy car crash and I had to have a covering over my lap and one side of my body. Disconcerting
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Psychophant

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:32:23 AM »
This is a photo of an accident that happened because the driver in the pickup truck (now under the school bus) was texting while driving.  I know there was no need for EMTs for the guy.  My question (and a serious one) is how is the body removed from such a mangled piece of wreckage?

Very carefully, and that is a serious answer.  If there are signs of life, they move quicker.  As Al pointed out, I can't imagine being in the car when they are using the jaws of life. 

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »

Very carefully, and that is a serious answer.  If there are signs of life, they move quicker.  As Al pointed out, I can't imagine being in the car when they are using the jaws of life.

Thanks for answering.

Psychophant

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 02:32:33 PM »
When I first read the title of this thread, it looked like "queer psychophant".   :sleepy:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »
Has a bird ever pooped on you?
 If so, did you cry?
Misunderstood.

Psychophant