Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120137 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #2190 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
The mother of my deceased neighbor brought us the contents of the kitchen and freezer. 
Close to 12 grocery bags of unbelievable items.  I shared what we couldn't use with a friend.

Oatmeal and assorted grains
Seasoning packets
Soups
Dried and frozen fruits
MAPLE SYRUP
Home baked muffins and cookies
Tahini
Butter, oils
etc, etc, etc

I've never had this much bounty to work with before.  I am unbelievably blessed.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:14:35 PM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2191 on: July 10, 2013, 03:43:18 PM »
The mother of my deceased neighbor brought us the contents of the kitchen and freezer. 
Close to 12 grocery bags of unbelievable items.  I shared what we couldn't use with a friend.

Oatmeal and assorted grains
Seasoning packets
Soups
Dried and frozen fruits
MAPLE SYRUP
Home baked muffins and cookies
Tahini
Butter, oils
etc, etc, etc

I've never had this much bounty to work with before.  I am unbelievably blessed.

Now you must make me some food :D
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2192 on: July 11, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
Technically this was yesterday, but...

They finally restored my interwebz! :woohoo:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2193 on: July 11, 2013, 07:38:15 AM »
Technically this was yesterday, but...

They finally restored my interwebz! :woohoo:

Oh, no!   :GA:  The world is in danger again.  Everyone hide!   :hide:

TheoK

« Reply #2194 on: July 11, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
I made 1.25kg of green stars  8)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2195 on: July 11, 2013, 09:57:13 AM »
My old man had bought a dessicator, but he thought before buying that it was a vacuum dessicator, which it is not.
He needed one to force potting compound into the wiring of a transformer under vacuum....but its not a vac type.

So he cannot make use of it, and rather than send it back for a refund, he just told me I could have it for the lab.

A vacuum dessicator would be useful to me...but there aren't all THAT many solid compounds that are not susceptible to drying agents such as concentrated sulfuric acid, or  phosphorus pentoxide (hell...solid P2O5, iirc, will actually suck the water from concentrated sulfuric, liberating fucking SO3, or it will liberate dinitrogen tet from concentrated nitric acid, even capable of being used for the synthesis of perchloric anhydride from its acid. Aside from the use of hard vacuum..if P2O5 (actually P4O10), won't do it...there probably isn't much that WILL do the trick)

Asked him what he wanted for it, but he just gave it to me for nothing, as he cannot make use of it, but knows that I can give it a good home in the lab, and at least get some use out of it, and I most certainly will do.

And when I'm not actually using it for drying anything in particular, i can fill it with inert gas, drying agent, and use it to store things like my lithium aluminium hydride, and other such beastly water/air sensitive reagents, although that is already stored in a plastic container, wrapped in cling film, inside a sealed glass jar full of packets of silica gel dessicant, filled with argon, and wrapped in teflon tape, still, no point in having it 'go off' any sooner than needs be.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2196 on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
More de-cluttering.  A backseat full of stuff to the thrift store and a trash bag out for pick-up.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2197 on: July 11, 2013, 01:53:18 PM »
I made 1.25kg of green stars  8)

Can't resist, have to ask, even when knowing better.

Do they taste good?  :autism:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #2198 on: July 11, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
Nescio  :orly:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2199 on: July 11, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
Tasting fireworks is  :viking: :headexplode:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2200 on: July 11, 2013, 03:02:12 PM »
My dinner happened, and happened to be very very tasty.
One of those lucky days, when it just pans out perfect.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2201 on: July 11, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
The first of the leftovers from my deceased neighbor - Roasted corn and shrimp soup, home-made blueberry muffins.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2202 on: July 11, 2013, 05:54:34 PM »
And stupid.

Green is often done using barium salts (depending on the shade of green wanted, although copper is used also. Ba gives a lighter, clearer green. Boron salts can be used too, but barium is useful as it readily forms a chlorate and perchlorate salt, which is an oxidizer in its own right as well as a dye for flames). Ba salts that can be absorbed by the body are highly toxic, primarily affecting the cardiovascular system.

Good stuff for today...I JUST this moment found my chlormethiazole caps. I haven't had any since the day I picked them up, last monday, been using herbs to stave off any chance of seizure, but I felt pretty fucking shite without it. The withdrawal is downright nasty. I'd taken my first dose immediately after getting my scripts on monday morning, got home, put it down, and I must have dropped the bottle, because I hadn't been able to find them since. So there is almost a full bottle left, and I was really starting to feel the lack of it bite pretty hard. They had dropped off my bed I presume, when I poured everything out of the bag from the pharmacy to sort through and take what I then needed, then rolled out of sight.

Just found them about 30s ago. Thankfully they act fast. Although a shot of a couple of oxy 80s certainly helped take the edge off :D But I would have been completely unable to sleep, and feeling rough as shit without them, as they are a barbiturate-like sedative (in terms of action, rather than structure that is, actually its a derivative of vitamin B1 [thiamine], and is indeed, not difficult to prepare starting from B1 [2 steps, plus isolation of product])

Seeing as how I had to go without for a fair few days, I now have some surplus, which means I'll definitely get a few good uninterrupted nights of deep sleep.

After taking time for a quick supper of fresh strawberries, sprinkled with a light dusting of sugar, a pre-bed rollup and a few nice, icy cold, frosty bottled lagers, straight from the fridge I fan feel those starting to kick in already.

And just caught a neat looking spider, crawling up the walls. Some sort of fairly large araneomorph, genus is Dysdera, the woodlouse-hunting spiders, although I haven't as yet identified it to species level. I may perhaps keep it as a pet. They are not dangerous (unless you happen to be a woodlouse, upon which many species within the genus Dysdera prey exclusively, or almost so, although some will also take beetles). They are aggressive however, and have massive fangs, the venom isn't medically significant, excepting cases of allergy of course, but it is apparently fairly painful; and in any case, they really do have a whopping pair of chelicera on the business end with which to deliver it, so I will not be picking it up and taking it walkies on a lead :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysdera_crocata The most common member of Dysdera, wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be this one. They feed exclusively upon woodlice, although perhaps occasionally taking other prey in an opportunistic manner; their massive fangs allow them to crack the armored shells of woodlice with ease.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

TheoK

« Reply #2203 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »

TheoK

« Reply #2204 on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
And stupid.

Green is often done using barium salts (depending on the shade of green wanted, although copper is used also. Ba gives a lighter, clearer green. Boron salts can be used too, but barium is useful as it readily forms a chlorate and perchlorate salt, which is an oxidizer in its own right as well as a dye for flames). Ba salts that can be absorbed by the body are highly toxic, primarily affecting the cardiovascular system.

I use barium chlorate. The colour is unbeatable. In commercial fireworks they only use the carbonate and nitrate nowadays.

I have touched a crystal of barium chlorate with the tip of my tongue once. Awful taste, of course. And I rinsed my mouth thoroughly with water afterwards, of course  :viking: