Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120090 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #1215 on: October 12, 2012, 11:59:31 AM »
I was offered the job today. I have over the weekend to decide. :headbang2:

:cheer:

What's the job?  Why wouldn't you take it?

It's the one I was interviewed for the other day and again this morning. It's sort of like what I'm doing now.

Getting away from the 12 year old is such a strong pro, but I wonder if there are any cons to taking this new job other than the learning curve involved with taking any new job?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1216 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »

It's the one I was interviewed for the other day and again this morning. It's sort of like what I'm doing now.

Getting away from the 12 year old is such a strong pro, but I wonder if there are any cons to taking this new job other than the learning curve involved with taking any new job?

Well, it's a small company and I'd be working from home some of the time because the office is across the country. But I don't mind that, not really, and I don't mind the travelling that is expected from me.

A lot of people, including several here, have pointed out that my current job is affecting my health and it's not worth it. It's worth a lot to get away from it before I end up in a hospital.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1217 on: October 12, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »

Well, it's a small company and I'd be working from home some of the time because the office is across the country. But I don't mind that, not really, and I don't mind the travelling that is expected from me.

A lot of people, including several here, have pointed out that my current job is affecting my health and it's not worth it. It's worth a lot to get away from it before I end up in a hospital.

The company's office being located across the country, working from home, and needing to travel a lot sound like my husband's job even though you don't do the same thing otherwise.  I also think it would be worth a lot to get away from the stress.

You have a lot of thinking to do this weekend.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1218 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »
Yes, there's a lot to think about.

I also feel like I'm betraying my friend at my current job. He's the one remaining colleague from before the 12-yo happened and I've had a lot of fun with him. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1219 on: October 12, 2012, 01:02:10 PM »

I also feel like I'm betraying my friend at my current job. He's the one remaining colleague from before the 12-yo happened and I've had a lot of fun with him. :-\

You have to take care of yourself!  Maybe your leaving will inspire him to leave!  :viking:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1220 on: October 12, 2012, 01:29:08 PM »
Civ Pro went ..... well, it went.  I really have no idea.  Hopefully will have it graded in a month or so :(

Why will it take so long for it to be graded?

Law professors are notoriously lazy with this kind of thing.  It's why most classes only have one final exam for 100% of your total grade.  I'm lucky in that I have a midterm worth 20% of my grade and a final worth 80%.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1221 on: October 12, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
Civ Pro went ..... well, it went.  I really have no idea.  Hopefully will have it graded in a month or so :(

Why will it take so long for it to be graded?

Law professors are notoriously lazy with this kind of thing.  It's why most classes only have one final exam for 100% of your total grade.  I'm lucky in that I have a midterm worth 20% of my grade and a final worth 80%.

80% for the final?!    :chores:    Start studying now!
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1222 on: October 12, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

Maybe you could help your friend get a job with your new company in the future when there's another opening for him, if you do take the job.  My husband did that for his friend.

P7PSP

« Reply #1223 on: October 12, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »

That is emotion. It is not a valid REASON to stay in a job situation that you hate.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1224 on: October 12, 2012, 02:58:05 PM »

That is emotion. It is not a valid REASON to stay in a job situation that you hate.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1225 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »

Yeah, I know that. Intellectually.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1226 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

Maybe you could help your friend get a job with your new company in the future when there's another opening for him, if you do take the job.  My husband did that for his friend.

True. I would like to do that.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1227 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:19 PM »

Your friend will have more a friend in you when you are healthy, than when you go down because of the 12-yo's policies.

Way more important is what the work-culture is in the new place, even when you would be working at home more.
Finding out, after taking it, that you only changed one 12-yo for another would be awful.

And, may be good to ponder on what working from home would mean for you. Are you someone with the double discipline that working from home takes? The discipline to get started, and, the discipline to take breaks and to stop at the end of the day.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

P7PSP

« Reply #1228 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:23 PM »

:thumbup: :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1229 on: October 13, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »

Your friend will have more a friend in you when you are healthy, than when you go down because of the 12-yo's policies.

Way more important is what the work-culture is in the new place, even when you would be working at home more.
Finding out, after taking it, that you only changed one 12-yo for another would be awful.

And, may be good to ponder on what working from home would mean for you. Are you someone with the double discipline that working from home takes? The discipline to get started, and, the discipline to take breaks and to stop at the end of the day.

I've worked from home in the past, when I had my own company. I did have the discipline, most of the time, but it's a valid point and something I need to be very honest about to myself. I do think I could handle it well again. The fact that I've been less than focussed at times recently has more to do with the 12-yo, I think.

As for what the work culture is at the new company, my impressions is a good one. I found it easy to talk to the owners on Skype, always a good sign considering my phone conversation abilities.

- Albert Einstein