Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120131 times)

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #1140 on: October 04, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »
The oldest has hooked up with 5 other homeschooling boys for what was supposed to be one morning of playing Minecraft together at a friend's house but they all hit it off so well that we're now getting together every Thursday morning. And today we decided to add Tuesday morning swims at a local community pool for them as well. Even better, I like all the Mum's and that's rare. :laugh:

Before this, he didn't have any friends that lived close by. All of his friends lived an hour away. These guys are within a 20 min drive and they're into the same things as him which is beyond cool.  8)
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

P7PSP

« Reply #1141 on: October 04, 2012, 01:21:48 PM »
The oldest has hooked up with 5 other homeschooling boys for what was supposed to be one morning of playing Minecraft together at a friend's house but they all hit it off so well that we're now getting together every Thursday morning. And today we decided to add Tuesday morning swims at a local community pool for them as well. Even better, I like all the Mum's and that's rare. :laugh:

Before this, he didn't have any friends that lived close by. All of his friends lived an hour away. These guys are within a 20 min drive and they're into the same things as him which is beyond cool.  8)
Yes it is.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1142 on: October 04, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »
Got an appt. booked real soon to get some corticosteroid/local anaesthetic jabs into both my knee and my hip.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1143 on: October 04, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

:thumbup:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1144 on: October 04, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
Got an appt. booked real soon to get some corticosteroid/local anaesthetic jabs into both my knee and my hip.
About time! :P
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1145 on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

Yes it is.

Your son has a posse now.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1146 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »
About time! :P

:agreed:    I hope it works well for you, pain relief is a great blessing!

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1147 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:59 PM »
  Today I laughed at myself at work and cheered others up as well as myself.  :laugh:

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1148 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
I had coffee.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1149 on: October 05, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »
Woke happy.

And, the red roses I worked with today had a real rosy odour.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1150 on: October 05, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Agreed ren and ty weebly one.

Got an appt with the pain clinic on tuesday too. If they dont get something done, I figure it is time to head to the lab and work something out myself :P

Finally got the rest of my meds, I was feeling really overloaded without the clonidine to suppress noradrenaline release.

Although seeing as I had to miss my morning dose of oxy and just buy some liquid morphine instead at least that meant I could take a double dose at night, as I could only get a late appointment yesterday. Meant I got a very good nights sleep :D

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1151 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:28 AM »
Just discovered some nice arabica dark roast filter coffee I'd forgotten about completely, I need to get another percolater when I get paid next. My last one died on me. Cooking it on the hotplate/mag stirrer in a flat-bottomed flask and filtering it through one of my buchner funnels works just fine though for now.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1152 on: October 05, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »
  I had my hot flashes at work today, surrounded by other middle-aged women
  with whom I could compare symptoms!  Menopause is going to rock!   :prude:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1153 on: October 06, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
My old man's computer gave out recently, dodgy processor, which fucked his motherboard, and did the same to the new mobo he bought to replace it. That isn't the good bit, what is, is that he couldn't use the RAM chips with the second new replacement board, so he gave it all to me for nothing.

I have a spare computer somewhere, at the moment I think in this machine, I have 2 gig of RAM. The old computer is a really, really slow old thing with just 512mb, currently not in use, the new ram chips I got given are 4 gig in total. So I can swap in the new 4 gig chips to this, the one that gets used for gaming and anything else intensive, and put what is in here into my spare machine.

I need to add a computer to the lab, doesn't need to be anything powerful, but just good enough not to crawl along really, and to run the software for a UV-vis spectrophotometer I've been looking into building (with the intent of experimenting and perhaps building an IR spec also, for analytical work once I have the basic visible range spec knocked together, assuming its successful)

Analytical kit like that goes secondhand etc. on ebay for quite a lot, some solely visible range ones can be had for about 200 or so, but there is a secondhand UV-Vis spectrophotometer, 200-850 nM range, going for a bit over 4.5 grand, US, or a UV-Vis spec with a 10nM resolution, 400-800nM range, thats going for nearly 13 K, US.

With some stuff I have been reading up on DIY-ed diffraction gratings, looks like its doable for less, much, much less than £50, UK :)

Sounds like it would make for an interesting project, and certainly bloody useful. Hell's bells, I've even read of an portable attachment suitable for field work that is compact enough to be clipped onto a mobile phone!

So of course, I'd need something to run the software with it, and I've been thinking of saving up for a bit and also investing in a USB camera for my lab microscope (a pretty good one, bought it from india for a bit short of $200 if I remember correctly, managed to get it imported marked as a 'gift' and save a whole bunch of import thef...err.'duty'. The oil immersion lens combined with the replacement eyepieces can get it up to 2000x magnification)

Would be nice to be able to take digital pics and upload them directly to a workstation in the lab, or (not sure if its capable of this), being able to get a live feed from the microscope to my computer screen. I'd still have to do all the focusing, tweaking, aligning slides and the like by hand of course, but it would be good to be able to view the output directly on the computer, sort of like a webcam feed.

Anybody know what a decent flat screen monitor goes for these days, on the cheap end of the scale? really doesn't have to be anything special, as I wouldn't be using it for anything graphics intensive, like gaming. Just need basics such as a sound card, already have a spare laser mouse, I'd have to get a spare keyboard, and a monitor, AFAIK thats just about it, aside from one of those USB hubs to give me some spare ports so as to enable running multiple analytical kit at once.

I do have a monitor spare somewhere, but its a big, bulky CRT, and I need something lighter and much more compact. I used to have the garage as lab space, but now we don't have a garage at all, thanks to my mother. She has MS, can't get up stairs, so my old man had to convert that into a downstairs bedroom:(

Which meant me having to convert the spare UPSTAIRS bedroom into a workspace. Way too little space in there, but its better than nothing. I'll need a lot of space already to build a fume hood, for the moment I still have to work outside if I'm working with anything really noxious, such as say, phosgene, large amounts of Cl2, H2S, etc.

Looking into the project, the site I'm reading from claims it's doable from $10 US. I already have some of the parts, so its looking very tempting to give this a go.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:52:51 PM by Lestat »

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1154 on: October 06, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Ridiculously happy with my change in hair colour. :dance:

It looks good  :thumbup: