Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120135 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #8685 on: October 23, 2023, 07:11:41 PM »
I de-seeded the first pomegranates of the season. :woohoo: I was a little irked by their price, though when I got home I noticed on the receipt the cashier made a mistake and only charged me for one.  :lol1: I can take or leave them, but it's one of the boy's favorites, so I'm delighted to have a big bowl of seeds waiting in the fridge for him when he wakes up. :heart: 
:gopher:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8686 on: October 28, 2023, 03:48:41 PM »
I'll leave a note here if I think of something.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8687 on: October 28, 2023, 06:32:47 PM »
I need to stop perseverating... will I? (Nope)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8688 on: November 10, 2023, 10:46:09 AM »
Had a chat with our new Programme Manager. I know him from before, and he's a nice guy. Very glad they decided to hire him.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8689 on: November 10, 2023, 09:22:47 PM »
I slept in. Usually after I feed the cats I stay awake, but not today :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8690 on: November 11, 2023, 07:37:16 PM »
I am always at least one day late to this game. Usually, the day of something good is way busy.

Yesterday, I kept my appointment with the audiologist and went through a test that took over an hour and a half to complete.

They tested simple ear drum function with tones, pressurized outer ear to assess the inner ear bones (preloading the eardrums to keep them stable while sound testing for the inner parts), nerve function, word recognition, bone conduction, recovery time after a pressure shock. That last one was like being in an airplane, but they over pressure the ear, play a tone they had determined I could barely hear, then see how long before I can hear a tiny micro tone again.

I know, I asked for it, but this shit was about to drive me nuts before it was over.

I am sixty eight years old. Of course I have some hearing loss. In addition to what could be normal, I abused my hearing early in my life before I figured out on my own that I should protect my ears during the thousands of concerts where I worked sound reinforcement systems all over the country, Mexico and Canada as well.

However, they say they can help me. There are many options.
Of course they want to set me up with the Cadillac of all prosthetic hearing devices at the $9000 range. Too Much!!

Instead, we could try the $8000 or the $5000 set ups. Each step down is only a step down in technology, but not quality or warranty.
Taking another step down in tech, I decided to go with the $3000 devices. It is still programmable to my individual needs, three year warranty (instead of five year), yearly update to the existing tech built in, wireless charging with a small stand, replaceable fit cones that could wear out during use, replaceable Lithium batteries.

I will have them by next week, possibly Monday, with all my personal hearing deficiencies programmed for correction, tailored specifically for each ear.

The main differences in the level of tech was more about how the device assesses the background sound pressure noise and makes corrections based on either 800Hz signal check, 500Hz, 300Hz, etc.

I went with the best tech I could afford, which checks the background noise level one hundred times per second. I went with these instead of the next step down, which are not as finely programable to an individuals exact needs.

I chose these which are programable to my own exact hearing problems which the team of audiologists identified through the extensive test procedures.

The next step down in price $2000 was also a large step down in tech. Background noise check at twenty times per second. Not programable to my exact deficiencies but close enough for most, using octave corrections instead of exact, precise corrections.

Anyone else feel the need for hearing correction devices. I'll bet I just turned everyone off to the idea.

:LOL:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:03:24 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8691 on: November 11, 2023, 08:03:26 PM »
^What you're getting sounds fancy, similar to what a person I work with has. She has arthritis in the bones of her ears though, so a different need to wear hearing devices than you. The testing place you went to sounds very thorough. :)

I have a type of tinnitus in one ear that can't be fixed, but it's tolerable. I also spent years hearing loud machinery, surprisingly there's no damage from that.

A good thing - when I woke up, both cats were on my bed and it was cool in my room.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:05:26 PM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8692 on: November 11, 2023, 08:19:22 PM »
My audiologists did not call my problems relating to stiff inner ear bones arthritis.
Due to an earlier head injury where my inner ear bones were dislocated, I am told I have some calcification of the tiny bones which makes them not move correctly.
(you guys all knew I had been whacked in the head before, or something anyway)

I found out about that the first time I went in for testing, long ago.
I have been to three "ear docs" now in twenty five years and this the first group who say they can help my hearing loss.

But, arthritis, calcification, stiffening ... it all kind of sounds about the same anyway, right?
 :dunno:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 08:23:08 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8693 on: November 11, 2023, 08:23:45 PM »
Maybe they use the same methods to treat all of those?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8694 on: November 11, 2023, 08:35:14 PM »
I hung out with Mom today, and got stuff we needed... now I'm happy and content.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8695 on: November 12, 2023, 08:32:23 PM »
Maybe they use the same methods to treat all of those?

I do not know how that works.
To my understanding, the differences in how each level of top tech works is in how well the devices identify and isolate background noise from the sound we want to hear.

It is our brain/ears screaming for more input that makes all the background so annoying. Even tinnitus is aided by these technologies. Not by eliminating it, but by giving the ears more of what they are seeking, which in turn makes the still constant tinnitus less noticeable and bothersome after a short time of adjustment.

You might think about having a test done for your tinnitus. The tech has changed significantly over the past few years.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8696 on: November 13, 2023, 05:16:11 AM »
Last time I had anything done about it was in 2014:

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,19828.0.html

I really have gotten used to it since then, it's only in one ear and it's not loud.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8697 on: November 13, 2023, 01:05:20 PM »
Cubbies introducing their 56th manager in Team History

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8698 on: November 26, 2023, 03:23:13 PM »
Me and my guys decorated the Christmas tree. :heart:
:gopher:

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8699 on: November 27, 2023, 01:29:48 AM »
I made it back home and realized I have plenty to do for tomorrow.... which includes cleaning my room, taking out the trash, going to the dentist, taking care of Yoshi's needs as well as my birds... and focusing on the next tasks throughout the week.