Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120110 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #8430 on: December 19, 2022, 10:32:31 AM »
I think I'm off for the rest of the year.  January is going to be crazy though
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8431 on: December 20, 2022, 05:46:29 PM »
I'm now on holidays until 9th January, woo!

I'll still be volunteering at the Salvos on Fridays though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8432 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:04 PM »
After Thursday's shift I have 4 days of pure bliss.

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8433 on: December 22, 2022, 12:05:05 AM »
Our dog, who has been almost terrified of me since we brought him home (big scary Alpha male, I probably resemble a kind of asshole who has hurt and abused him in the past), had a long nap with me this afternoon.
I mean we have had our trust moments and he has come to not fear me as much as at first.

But, today seemed like a breakthrough moment. Admittedly, I did not get a nap, since I was trying to be still and just enjoy the time with him feeling safe with me, finally.

It was great!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8434 on: December 22, 2022, 02:45:41 PM »
I passed the spelling and grammar quiz that is part of the proofreading course. One hundred questions, phew!
Congrats, great!
Thank you! Now I'm actually proofreading course essays. It's challenging because I have to use the Chicago Manual of Style to back up the changes I make. And realize (as an example) has to stay realize, not realise. I downloaded a list of American/English differences and there are a lot.
The Chicago Manual of Style is good. I've been wanting to upgrade my rather old edition for a while.

As for "ize" vs "ise," I refuse to give up the latter. I know that some publishers in the UK now prefer the former but it's their problem. Good style requires conviction.
I might actually order the hard copy of The Chicago Manual of Style because the electronic one isn't exactly easy to navigate. It may be quicker to look up things in the book.

I don't want to give up "ise" either, it just looks better.

Chicago is one of the better style guides I know.

I was in London recently and bought the OPU's at Foyles. Hart's guide, I think it used to be called.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8435 on: December 22, 2022, 02:47:43 PM »
I have my second "H" frame subwoofer almost ready for paint.

H?

Just commonly adapted nomenclature.
If you look at the basic design from various angles, it is unique in that from the top the structure in line format the design resembles an "H."
My baffles are three thicknesses of 3/4 inch material sandwich - one plywood, one MDF, one plywood, which creates the center mass of the system. Quite a bit heavier than Linkwitz projects.
The "walls" see very little pressure and are only double, MDF on the inside and plywood outers.

Mine are dual fifteen inch, instead of twelves like he shows here.
He likes to add a lot of electronics to dipole systems for free air response to measure well, which I find unnecessary with proper room placement. Not disagreeing with a master, just still exploring other options.
To me it seems as if he is defeating some of the benefits to the dipole effect if you go messing with the natural air of these types of systems.
But, he's smarter than I am and has more measuring equipment. I have ears, some downloaded software, a few calibrated mics and one old O'scope.

Biamp and cross them over below 100Hz and you have a really effective addition to a bass shy fullrange Open Baffle driver.
With my new Lii Audio F15 drivers (which see), I intend crossing them off at more or less 42Hz, if the graphs mean anything.
The Lii Audio driver only reaches 50Hz with authority, but for some of my hard rock and even classical music, they need a helping hand.

So far, I have only used my H frames with my mono stack in the garage. They have not made it into the house as of yet.
I have no idea if they will mate well with my F15 Lii drivers at this point.
I have a lot of ways to try before I decide that it might not work, though.

This will be my fourth attempt at OB bass, but my first attempt at H frame type baffles.
What I had before with some back loading was awesome and I used them for almost fifteen years with the Visaton B200 drivers.
These Lii Audio F15 drivers are better in so many ways.

I took this from the Linkwitz website:
Notice his test microphone placement. I test my system from my listening chair, mostly, once I am done with "free air" or "half space" tests.

That's a weird placement for a mic. I'd like to see what happens in a live RTA when moving it around.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8436 on: December 22, 2022, 07:38:12 PM »
I have Hart's Rules. Admittedly I haven't looked at it much. I definitely have some reading to do. I ordered the CMOS off Amazon.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:48:56 PM by renaeden »
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8437 on: December 23, 2022, 05:24:40 AM »
It's not the kind of book you read cover to cover, tbh. :)

- Albert Einstein

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8438 on: December 23, 2022, 07:53:32 PM »
I think I'll just open it up randomly. :zoinks:
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #8439 on: December 24, 2022, 12:55:39 PM »

Last time I opened up a book randomly, I couldn't put it down and it was already midnight the next day.

Online renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8440 on: December 24, 2022, 10:54:25 PM »
Last time I opened up a book randomly, I couldn't put it down and it was already midnight the next day.
I love books like that.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8441 on: December 26, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
Since Jack had the day off, I packed away all the Christmas. This weekend was awesome and both family gathering events ran smoothly, but it's nice to have the house back in order and restored to the usual feng shui. :heart:
:gopher:

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8442 on: December 27, 2022, 06:54:09 AM »
Since Jack had the day off, I packed away all the Christmas. This weekend was awesome and both family gathering events ran smoothly, but it's nice to have the house back in order and restored to the usual feng shui. :heart:

Kind of awesome. We did an all stay at home and phone each other this year.
Odd how I get to know about my in-law family extensions more on the phone than when they visit, but the corridor is a different way for some.
I grew up in Texas and most could not traverse the miles to attend family gatherings. Phoning cost a lot of money back then.

I would have to say it was a great Christmas time for our family. I'm glad it's over!

Now I just want to see the same enthusiasm that brought all this shit out in the first place to come into play as it all goes away again.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 06:56:00 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8443 on: December 27, 2022, 04:05:50 PM »

Precisely what I did when I first bought my Chicago - 14th edition, I think. So much interesting stuff in there. Actually it's still what I do with every new style guide I buy. :)

I miss being an editor sometimes, tbh. Being paid to be a language (and form) nerd is not a bad gig.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8444 on: December 27, 2022, 05:56:21 PM »

Kind of awesome. We did an all stay at home and phone each other this year.
Odd how I get to know about my in-law family extensions more on the phone than when they visit, but the corridor is a different way for some.
I grew up in Texas and most could not traverse the miles to attend family gatherings. Phoning cost a lot of money back then.

I would have to say it was a great Christmas time for our family. I'm glad it's over!

Now I just want to see the same enthusiasm that brought all this shit out in the first place to come into play as it all goes away again.

I'm always eager to put away Christmas. The house instantly looks much cleaner. Plus red is a stimulating color with a conditioned association to danger, so it's instantly calmer too.  :dunno:
:gopher: