Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120131 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #8070 on: August 13, 2021, 01:03:58 AM »

My daughter allowed her Learner Permit to expire. Still not driving much at twenty, but now she can not even practice driving.

The huge struggles with the license branch have only begun in our lives.

Hoping it goes smoothly.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8071 on: August 13, 2021, 08:49:29 AM »
I remember renewing my learners permit for years before I finally got it together to get the full license. The DMV is a pain in the ass.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #8072 on: August 13, 2021, 12:00:42 PM »
I remember renewing my learners permit for years before I finally got it together to get the full license. The DMV is a pain in the ass.

It took me years after I took Drivers Ed. until I took my Drivers test and got my first NH license.  My "mother' vigorously discouraged it until I started to screw up the courage to just do the damn thing.  And I was living and working in my old college town.  Fred was a major booster for my independence and confidence.  I passed the driving and written test on the first try.   8)  My "mother" was pissed!   :evillaugh:  Fred was elated when I got home and showed him.   8)  In my day we didn't have learners permits.  We could still drive, but, only if a licensed adult was in the car.  And driving with my "mother" was a fucking nightmare.   >:(
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #8073 on: August 13, 2021, 03:45:46 PM »
I think I lasted for one session on actual roads in my father's stickshift car. I froze up attempting to shift gears at a red light intersection, with the other cars all moving forwards around me, and his anxiety spiralled off mine in a way that was miserable enough that I never got in his car to practice driving again.

He was so fucking... fragile.

For all his faults, that was one thing my bf a few years later did absolutely right. Actually it was one of the best things he ever did for me. He was stone cool about me practice driving in his car, seemed to have no fear of my ruining it, and pitched his voice like you would trying to calm an animal on the way to the vet. Also it was an automatic, so one less thing to think about at once. It not only worked, but I'd never had somebody treat me like that before or for a long time after. That was precious.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8074 on: August 13, 2021, 05:06:23 PM »
I think I lasted for one session on actual roads in my father's stickshift car. I froze up attempting to shift gears at a red light intersection, with the other cars all moving forwards around me, and his anxiety spiralled off mine in a way that was miserable enough that I never got in his car to practice driving again.

He was so fucking... fragile.

For all his faults, that was one thing my bf a few years later did absolutely right. Actually it was one of the best things he ever did for me. He was stone cool about me practice driving in his car, seemed to have no fear of my ruining it, and pitched his voice like you would trying to calm an animal on the way to the vet. Also it was an automatic, so one less thing to think about at once. It not only worked, but I'd never had somebody treat me like that before or for a long time after. That was precious.

I learned on a manual transmission, the one with the handle on he steering wheel.  Then when I rented a U-Haul truck for my move of 200+ miles to the Berkshires it was a 4 on the floor manual that the guy at the company gave me a refresher course in how to handle a stick shift.  And I did the whole trip without a hitch.  My first two cars after I became a nurse were stick shift.  I occasionally had problems with stop and go on hill streets like Albany NY had, but, I managed....somehow.  But, my first times solo driving were nerve racking at stop lights as well.  My student driving days on older manual transmissions were the stuff of nightmares.  I lost track of the number of times I stalled out.  Now I drive an automatic at Carla's insistence.  I resisted at first, but Carla who could use a manual car hated them unless she had no other option.  Your father reminded me of my "mother". 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8075 on: August 14, 2021, 07:53:42 AM »
I am destined to suffer the License Branch soon myself. I have an older license that will no longer be accepted as an identification source when attempting to board a commercial flight.
I have a mother in her eighties and she is still tending a small plot of livestock rich land. Granted, many of my cousins have pitched in to help all the uncles and aunts through these times, but I should be there. I really am feeling the need to be there, to help my cousins manage the family homestead land if nothing more.

Found that ym mom was granted one fourth of the land from my deceased aunt, lost to Covid last year, which means ten more acres that my mom tends. I really NEED to be there.

BUT, without updating my license, I can't even fly to a funeral, which is inevitable.

Need to update ......

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8076 on: August 14, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »

My daughter allowed her Learner Permit to expire. Still not driving much at twenty, but now she can not even practice driving.

Hoping it goes smoothly.

My daughter is 21 and has failed the test three times so I know the struggle :zombiefuck: Her next attempt is Thursday I hope it goes well. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8077 on: August 14, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
FWIW, Parts, Amber flunked her driving test 5 times.  The examiner asked me if Amber should take a break so she wouldn't get discouraged.  Amber never did, she was ready and raring to go each time.  She never gave up hope.  The examiner was impressed with that.  And she was the examiner for her final test and Amber came back and was exultant that she passed.  I'll never forget the look of joy on her face.  Just keep her practicing on the areas she has difficulty and keep her encouraged, your daughter will do fine!   8)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8078 on: August 14, 2021, 03:03:30 PM »
People said nice things about my talk at the conference today, people whose opinions matter to me.

That always feels good for a while. Just enjoy it, if you can't use it.
 :thumbup:

Well, I can't use any of it. It still feels nice but I know it's superfluous.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8079 on: August 14, 2021, 03:11:00 PM »
As for driver's licenses... I spent countless hours teaching both my offspring to drive. Both passed their tests, eventually. My daughter aced it on her fist try, my son did it on his third. Proud of them both and hoping I taught them enough to survive on.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8080 on: August 14, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
As for driver's licenses... I spent countless hours teaching both my offspring to drive. Both passed their tests, eventually. My daughter aced it on her fist try, my son did it on his third. Proud of them both and hoping I taught them enough to survive on.

Yeah, we were both proud of Amber for not getting discouraged and succeeding in the end.  We gave her the tools to to survive on. 

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8081 on: August 14, 2021, 09:20:18 PM »

Hoping it goes smoothly.

My daughter is 21 and has failed the test three times so I know the struggle :zombiefuck: Her next attempt is Thursday I hope it goes well.

Godspeed!  I hope it goes well.
Last time my daughter went in to get her license crap sorted out, she was set up with the wrong test. Really! She was there to just get a learner permit a few years back and they gave her the test for a Commercial over the road truck driving license, which both her parents hold. She failed the test and did not want to EVER take it again. Finally got her to try again and she Whizzed it. Makes a difference if you get the right test going.

ZOMBIE FUCK!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 09:22:30 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8082 on: August 14, 2021, 09:27:53 PM »

As little progress as I report, there IS progress and I am proud of both of them.

So much stress in this house these days. I don't feel like pushing anywhere if the place is clean, the trash is out, laundry is managed and the dog is fed and walked, etc.

Choosing my battles carefully.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8083 on: August 19, 2021, 01:47:43 PM »
Stopped by the daughter's workplace to say hi. She's been working evenings all week so we haven't seen her at all.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8084 on: August 21, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »
My generator started on the second pull after sitting in the shed over two years,  hopefully I will not need it and it can go back to gathering dust in the shed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw