Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120132 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7845 on: December 02, 2020, 08:59:55 PM »
I've never had pumpkin pie. Sounds like a nice thing to eat when it's cold.

I've never had pumpkin pie either.

Americans don't usually eat pumpkin the way we do in Straya, like roasted or boiled or mashed or in scones etc.

They don't know what they are missing.

BUT they do eat pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

Brussels sprouts, though, is officially the most hated vegetable in America. They are my favourite vegetable, although my wife likes them even more than I do. I boil them in salty water until they are soft, and then serve them in melted butter, but my wife will just lightly boil them for a few minutes in unsalted water and then just eats them while they are still crunchy.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7846 on: December 02, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
I've never had pumpkin pie. Sounds like a nice thing to eat when it's cold.

I've never had pumpkin pie either.

Americans don't usually eat pumpkin the way we do in Straya, like roasted or boiled or mashed or in scones etc.

They don't know what they are missing.

BUT they do eat pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving.

Brussels sprouts, though, is officially the most hated vegetable in America. They are my favourite vegetable, although my wife likes them even more than I do. I boil them in salty water until they are soft, and then serve them in melted butter, but my wife will just lightly boil them for a few minutes in unsalted water and then just eats them while they are still crunchy.

I'm not a pumpkin pie fan, but for some reason it is a US thing.  As for brussel sprouts, well, never tried them and probably never will.  I am a major fussbudget.  And for the record, I refuse to eat pumpkin pie, never have, never will.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7847 on: December 02, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »
I'd always thought that I disliked Brussels sprouts just because it was a kid thing, disliking all unfamiliar vegetables. So when I was in hospital a few years ago, they served up Brussels sprouts and I thought I'd give them a go. I ate all three of them and I didn't like them.

Kayleigh loves Brussels sprouts and will eat them any way.

I love roast pumpkin.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7848 on: December 03, 2020, 05:02:47 AM »
Brussel sprouts are a favorite, though so is cabbage.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7849 on: December 03, 2020, 05:12:20 AM »
Americans don't usually eat pumpkin the way we do in Straya.
During the holidays it's pumpkin everything in the US, coffee, cakes, cookies, donuts, cereals, icecream, and so on. It seems if it's possible for a company to make their food or drink product pumpkin or pumpkin spice flavor, it's done.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7850 on: December 03, 2020, 05:19:05 AM »
During the holidays it's pumpkin everything in the US, coffee, cakes, cookies, donuts, cereals, icecream, and so on. It seems if it's possible for a company to make their food or drink product pumpkin or pumpkin spice flavor, it's done.

Every now and then a Brit will try to eat pumpkin out of curiosity.  These experiments never go well and are never repeated.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7851 on: December 03, 2020, 05:33:50 AM »

Every now and then a Brit will try to eat pumpkin out of curiosity.  These experiments never go well and are never repeated.
Don't care for pumpkin nor the offer of pumpkin everything, but even worse are holiday smells of cinnamon and evergreen. People use candles and potpourri to fill various spaces with the overwhelming smells of christmas.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7852 on: December 03, 2020, 08:28:38 AM »
The only good cinnamon smell is actual fresh baking in the oven.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7853 on: December 03, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
Isn't this sort of like a virtual thanksgiving dinner? Just wondering, based on what I've heard about the 'merican traditions.

I'm having trouble guessing what you're talking about.  :dunno:

Me too, now. I'm pretty sure I meant to quote the post I was replying to, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it was. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7854 on: December 03, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »
The only good cinnamon smell is actual fresh baking in the oven.
Have sensory issues with being overwhelmed by many smells, even good ones, as it's generally just too much smell. Husband likes all sorts of sweet and flowery scents, air fresheners and those wall plug smelly things. We compromise by agreeing on the ones that smell like laundry. Have a bad mental association with evergreen, so that's one completely intolerable.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7855 on: December 03, 2020, 11:52:29 AM »
Pumpkin Spice is here,
Pumpkin spice is there
Pumpkin spice for in your hair
Pumpkin spice is everywhere!

Pumpkin spice between your toes
Pumpkin spice for up your nose
Pumpkin spice everywhere goes
Pumpkin spice,  frankly BLOWS!

:elvis:

"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7856 on: December 06, 2020, 02:40:07 AM »
Coffee happened.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #7857 on: December 08, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »
Sugarbutt had some major wins today for a couple projects he's been doing. I appreciate Jack for thinking outside the box. I can't remember the last time I saw him so excited. I'm really happy for him.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7858 on: December 08, 2020, 04:59:03 PM »
I like a lot of vegetables, and I should really eat a lot more of them instead of junk food. Brussels sprouts are a favourite.

Jack, I'd heard that Americans don't eat pumpkin except in pumpkin pie. It's maybe one of those funny urban myth things. If I'm cooking up a roast I will throw potatoes, pumpkin and orange sweet potato in the oven and the pumpkin is maybe my favourite out of those. Maybe Americans are just averse to eating boiled, mashed or roasted lumps of plain pumpkin.

In the Philippines they have a lot of purple sweet potato (ube) flavoured everything. Cake, ice cream, candy. At the airport you used to see Filipinos heading overseas (for work presumably) with boxes of ube ice cream packed in dry ice, not sure if they put them in cargo or carry on or what.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #7859 on: December 08, 2020, 08:20:55 PM »
Had a good dinner date, haven't had one of those in a while and a couple of good few days of rest. Now starting the week all over again.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks: