Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120131 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7680 on: August 11, 2020, 10:41:52 PM »
The power came back on

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7681 on: August 12, 2020, 07:11:20 AM »
The surgeon told me today that I'm a really good mother and that the way I handled today, made their job so much easier and they were grateful. That meant a lot.

That's always nice to hear when you're helping your kid through something difficult. So much of the shit you have to handle with them makes you feel like you must be doing a shit job. It just isn't true, is it?  :hadron:
You're right. It's been so hard for so long that you lose sight that maybe you're not doing so bad after all.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7682 on: August 12, 2020, 01:33:56 PM »
Found out that in 18 months my job will probably be going to some guy in Chennai.  Yay.  Mid 50s and scraping around for work.  What fun that will be.

If worst comes to worst, you can always get a job with Deliveroo.

Nah, that was a really bad joke. Seriousyl, if worst comes to worst. don't let DWP minions persuafe you that it's pointless signing on if you don't qualify for benefits (too much savings, wife earning "enough " for both of you , whatever)  I got intimidated into going along with that,at one time (they were really huffy about me wasting their time) and now I don't qualify for a State pension either  :grrr: . I would have collected pension credits and thereby qualified, if only they hadnt pulled that one on me.

Good luck!

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #7683 on: August 12, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
I did the first appointment for this time off.... tomorrow is a simple phone follow-up with my shrink...

Oy vey -_-

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #7684 on: August 12, 2020, 06:37:25 PM »
Found out that in 18 months my job will probably be going to some guy in Chennai.  Yay.  Mid 50s and scraping around for work.  What fun that will be.

If worst comes to worst, you can always get a job with Deliveroo.

Nah, that was a really bad joke. Seriousyl, if worst comes to worst. don't let DWP minions persuafe you that it's pointless signing on if you don't qualify for benefits (too much savings, wife earning "enough " for both of you , whatever)  I got intimidated into going along with that,at one time (they were really huffy about me wasting their time) and now I don't qualify for a State pension either  :grrr: . I would have collected pension credits and thereby qualified, if only they hadnt pulled that one on me.

Good luck!

The joke is, I actually did Deliveroo. :LOL: I was on a motorbike doing it though so of course, the orders kept coming to me. The only fun I got out of it was going around London. Being on benefits from my experience sucked, definitely one for sure I'll never do again and thankfully haven't gone back to the job centre.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7685 on: August 12, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »

Mid 50s here as well, and I'm surprised that my job didn't go to Chennai last year. A bunch of guys of similar age and older have lost their jobs over the past year at my company, gone to Chennai.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7686 on: August 13, 2020, 12:35:11 AM »

Mid 50s here as well, and I'm surprised that my job didn't go to Chennai last year. A bunch of guys of similar age and older have lost their jobs over the past year at my company, gone to Chennai.

I'm mid-50s, too, and while not that worried about my job going to Chennai, there are not that many people doing what I do and thus not that many jobs to begin with. Which is why I remain independent and most of my contracts are getting shorter.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7687 on: August 13, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »

I'm mid-50s, too, and while not that worried about my job going to Chennai, there are not that many people doing what I do and thus not that many jobs to begin with. Which is why I remain independent and most of my contracts are getting shorter.

Maybe best option (financially) is relocate to India and be that guy in Chennai? lower salary, ofc,  but also lower cost of living. Or am I being naive?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7688 on: August 13, 2020, 10:05:03 AM »

Maybe best option (financially) is relocate to India and be that guy in Chennai? lower salary, ofc,  but also lower cost of living. Or am I being naive?

Yes.

No money, no job security, poor living standards, democracy's down the drain... Do I need to go on?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7689 on: August 13, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
Picked up my produce box. Cabbage, green beans, ears of corn, red potatoes, tomatoes and a MASSIVE zucchini that is as long as my entire arm.  :o
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7690 on: August 13, 2020, 03:38:58 PM »
lea rned a lot from todays richie allen
feel superior to all others
byte
Kick me.

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7691 on: August 13, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »
...and a MASSIVE zucchini that is as long as my entire arm.  :o
  :scratchhead:  wouldn't that be called a marrow?

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7692 on: August 13, 2020, 06:08:52 PM »

Yes, that is naive. It's the kind of thing that libertarian fantasists and globalists like to say. I know that you are neither of those and that yours is a genuine question.

I have been to Chennai for work (3 weeks only). Nice food, interesting place. Ridiculously hot.

The problem with being a white person living in a place like that is that you can't live on a local salary and live local style. Almost everything you buy will have a "rich white person" markup, often several hundred percent.

There is also the issue of getting work permits etc. Unless you are sponsored by a company, you have no chance. And you won't get sponsored by a company unless you have unique skills. And even then, it's likely to only be for a year or 2 until you can be replaced by a locally trained person.

A young man at the company I'm with now, he was telling me a while back about his last job back home in India. He worked for a company that outsourced their international transfers software support and development to India. They sent an old French guy over to train up the locals, and 10 years later he was still there and even older. He would fall asleep at his desk, forget stuff, he sounded a bit like Joe Biden come to think of it. But nobody ever dared say anything negative to him because when the software crashed or when there was a functional issue, the old French guy was the only one who knew how to fix it. That's a very rare example of someone who was able to move to where the jobs were.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7693 on: August 14, 2020, 12:19:03 AM »
I've seen huge IT contracts move to Chennai only to move back a few years later. They don't hire older French guys everywhere over there.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7694 on: August 14, 2020, 08:57:40 AM »
Once upon a time someone tried to recruit me to India to train the locals. "We really want your expertise and experience!" I was a kid fresh out of my first six month industry contract job. I had no expertise.  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.