Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120147 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7635 on: July 13, 2020, 05:26:42 AM »
Just finished the radio interview. It went really well. My heart is full. Lots of tears but also lots of laughs.

Wipe the tears, keep the laughs.

Glad it went well.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7636 on: July 13, 2020, 06:14:01 AM »

Busted into my most recent $1,000 box of half dollar rolls and found a silver coin in the first roll.
 :2thumbsup:

Then as tired as I am from the night watch patrols, I was determined to find the next one. An hour and many rolls supplied from a big Chicago bank  (Big City banks are worthless and over gleaned at this point in time)  later, four in one roll!

:plus:

I always wanted to try that but never seem to get around to it.  When I was a kid I did it with pennies looking for wheaties
I still look at pennies. Can't stop. I keep wheaties, any S (San Francisco) minted coins, and for a while I kept all that were 95% copper (pre 1981). Still common, now, but hardly the return of finding a silver coin.

For instance, with an investment of fifty cents, a 40% silver Kennedy is worth $6.45. A 95% copper cent is worth about $0.025 cents. Or aligning our decimal points better, a dollar in 40% silver is selling for around $12.90 at bullion dealers where a dollar in one cent coin is about $2.50 in copper melt down value. Still a decent return, but the bulk becomes a storage problem for long tern investment.
On a brighter note, your wheaties are selling for around ten bucks for a dollar's worth.
 :2thumbsup:

I have found that the "trick" to silver gleaning is to find a smallish local bank and "over order" a large quantity of coin rolls so that they have to clean out their own vaults of old stock and order more coin rolls from nearby banks to meet my order of fifty or one hundred rolls of half dollars.

No one uses half dollars much these days, so banks do not keep them on hand. I have to order them about a week in advance since bank branches usually only keep a few rolls of halves.
Then, disposing of the remaining non-silver clad coins is simply a matter of walking into a Walmart or Kroger store with a coin counting machine, dumping a box of loose coin and taking a voucher to a register or customer service for cash.

Banks usually charge a fee for taking loose coinage.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:16:27 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7637 on: July 13, 2020, 09:47:51 AM »
Last night HB grilled both steak and chicken for me to have throughout the week in my salads. Just roasting veggies in the oven to add to it over the next few days.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7638 on: July 13, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
Hey, Parts, I forgot to mention that some larger banks transfer much of their coinage in $1,000 bags and roll them as needed at the branches.
I walked into what I thought was a smallish bank once and they had bags available but only two rolls.

Gave it a thought and decided to try something new and they wanted a fifty dollar deposit on each bag. They really wanted their bad ass, locking, riveted and sown, woven canvas, Kevlar bags back.
I only got two of them and it was mostly a bust. The bags were full of newer minted coins. Hardly anything minted before Y2K. I made about eighty bucks for my efforts and swore off of bags on the first try. To me it seems that all the larger banks get their rolls from those same bags.
Possibly short sighted if I was more serious, but to me, it is still just a "hobby"  that pays for itself and then some.

Lay down a sheet or blanket to stop bouncing and rolling. Glove up, mask up (use your respiration device), dig in, wash your hands and arms after. You'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:37:28 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7639 on: July 13, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
Do they mind you doing it?  For them it seems like a lot of work moving that much coinage around for a non commercial customer.   Also there is according to the news a coin shortage is that affecting it.   They never look to kindly at me when I turn in coins as it is.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7640 on: July 13, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Do they mind you doing it?  For them it seems like a lot of work moving that much coinage around for a non commercial customer.   Also there is according to the news a coin shortage is that affecting it.   They never look to kindly at me when I turn in coins as it is.
They sometimes object lightly, but they can not simply refuse an order for legal tender and maintain a good standing with the charters followed by all banks, via the Reserve.
They use to not accept unrolled coins, then they stopped accepting hand rolled coins and now the banks just use their own machines. Most banks do not mind charging you to re-roll coins.
That is why I go to Kroger and dump the cast-offs. I did run into a Kroger that had a limit on the total dollar amount you could cash in at one time. Those counting machines are meant for turning peoples' personal change bins into money to spend in the store. Kind of hard to keep to that rule when you are limiting how much a customer can spend.
The lady told me to hang on a minute and she will reset the machine.
 :lol1:

There was no mention of a coin shortage at the bank when I first got going again about a month ago.

The people at my local bank know me and two of the workers there worked at Best Buy while I was there. I walk in and one them always asks how many rolls I need today.  She is joking, but goes into this big relief dramatization when I say I just need to make a transfer between accounts.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:54:03 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7641 on: July 13, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
Had another excellent tech who did my blood draw today. I always thank them for getting it on the first try. lol
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #7642 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »
I made it through another day and now I'm off work just for the whole day.
Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7643 on: July 13, 2020, 10:39:40 PM »
Picked up my work computer from the office and finished setting up my home office space. Between the shiny new work monitor, the old computer set up beside it and hooked up to my best speakers as a music station, and finally some non-messy desk space, I'm actually excited to "go to work" tomorrow.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7644 on: July 22, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
I've paid off my credit card. Took me over two years to do it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7645 on: July 31, 2020, 12:27:35 PM »
People working on the house were done in less time than expected
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7646 on: July 31, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Had a great Q&A session after my talk, which makes me believe that the talk was well-received. Online, it's the only way to tell.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #7647 on: August 03, 2020, 12:43:56 PM »
Yesterday.

Spent 4 hours floating down the Deschutes river in a kayak with a group of friends and acquaintances. We had 5 kayaks, 2 people in wet suits with fins and snorkels and everyone else in inner tubes. Also had 3 coolers with beer, drinks and snacks.

One of the guys in a wet suit found a full bottle of white wine at the bottom of the river. We popped the cork at the end of our trip and it had spoiled. It had been down there for several years obviously.

All in all, a pretty good time.   8)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7648 on: August 03, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
Took the dog out for a drive before the storms roll in.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #7649 on: August 03, 2020, 01:46:19 PM »
 Tonight is perfect. I'm laying in bed, watching TV and eating junk snacks. Had a McDonalds earlier. No drama. It is the simple things in life one fully appreciates.
:dog: