Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120138 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7530 on: June 11, 2020, 09:16:53 PM »
Saved a wee 3 week old baby bunny. Thankfully I got to this one before my dog.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7531 on: June 12, 2020, 02:11:19 PM »
Fixed the dehumidifier I trash picked a few weeks back, it's been humming away for 3 days now. It's making a big difference downstairs. I'm grateful. 

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7532 on: June 12, 2020, 04:11:57 PM »
Picked up the bulk order of meat. Really happy with it and with a little tetris skill actually managed to make it all fit in the freezer.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7533 on: June 13, 2020, 02:00:34 AM »
Dog woke me up and licked me all over. Beats an alarm clock by miles.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7534 on: June 13, 2020, 04:17:24 AM »
Picked up the bulk order of meat. Really happy with it and with a little tetris skill actually managed to make it all fit in the freezer.

Tetris?  Cool. Probably not the best way to organize a freezer, but you get points for fitting it all in!
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7535 on: June 13, 2020, 04:41:29 AM »

Well, yesterday, while heading to a park for my son to walk the dog. A lengthy walk in a strange place is real treat for him, well both of them.
There was a church sale ending. I drove up to park and take a look and they said, "We're all done. A complete waste of time. No one came."
I asked if I could take a peek, they said they were loading up and to make it quick.
Nice and hospitable.
I quickly spotted a pile of boxes full of ironware for the kitchen, which I kind of collect.
I asked for a price and one said I could take them all for ten bucks. DAMN!

After a further glance, there were seventeen iron skillets of various sizes, all in rough shape (mainly rusty), two muffin pans, several miscellaneous lids, a bread pan and a mismatched Dutch oven bottom. None of the lids fit it. An incredible stash of old style cookware most modernites are not familiar with using and so it was trash to them.

They asked for ten and I gave them twenty five bucks, loaded up and then helped them finish clearing the lot to help offset the trouble I caused by stopping by. I did not feel welcome.
There were also a few tools. I found two hammers, a few screwdrivers and an "antique" wooden yardstick with some awesome graphics on it. All for twenty five dollars.

All the ironware passes the "ring test"  (no cracks). Today I begin the process of restoring them. Got to get the rust stopped, at least.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7536 on: June 13, 2020, 06:11:56 AM »

Tetris?  Cool. Probably not the best way to organize a freezer, but you get points for fitting it all in!
 :thumbup:
It's just a small 3.5 cubic foot secondary freezer. It's mostly full of dog food and marrow bones because I feed raw. But comes in handy when we need a little bit of extra space for the things that done fit in the fridge/freezer combo.

Pup was having issues with a med she's taking and hadn't pooped in days. Added a supplement to her diet and this morning we had magic. I don't know who was more happy about it, her or me. She was clearly relieved and happy dancing and I was grateful we wouldn't have to make another trip to the vet. :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7537 on: June 13, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »

Well, yesterday, while heading to a park for my son to walk the dog. A lengthy walk in a strange place is real treat for him, well both of them.
There was a church sale ending. I drove up to park and take a look and they said, "We're all done. A complete waste of time. No one came."
I asked if I could take a peek, they said they were loading up and to make it quick.
Nice and hospitable.
I quickly spotted a pile of boxes full of ironware for the kitchen, which I kind of collect.

After a further glance, there were seventeen iron skillets of various sizes, all in rough shape (mainly rusty), two muffin pans, several miscellaneous lids, a bread pan and a mismatched Dutch oven bottom. None of the lids fit it. An incredible stash of old style cookware most modernites are not familiar with using and so it was trash to them.

They asked for ten and I gave them twenty five bucks, loaded up and then helped them finish clearing the lot to help offset the trouble I caused by stopping by. I did not feel welcome.
There were also a few tools. I found two hammers, a few screwdrivers and an "antique" wooden yardstick with some awesome graphics on it. All for twenty five dollars.

All the ironware passes the "ring test"  (no cracks). Today I begin the process of restoring them. Got to get the rust stopped, at least.

Damn. Nice score.

I find it from time to time. As long as it's not cracked, you can bring it back normally.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7538 on: June 13, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »

Nice and hospitable.

Ooooh! I;m envious! was looking out for an iron skillet recently but balked at the price .

Interested to know what the "ring test"is?  Tried googling it but only turned a dowsing techique (using wedding band on string) for divining the sex of a baby  :laugh:

PS have used iron skillet before, long ago,  but have tended leave cookware- and almost everything else-  behind when leaving partners  (it just desn't quite feel quite fair to strip the house bare , if I'm the one leaving, by own choice) , and then i struggle to replace  :laugh:  The past 20 years i've most;y been using cookware that my Mum passed on, not stuff i would have chosen for myself. but recent hoise move forced me to ditch  almost all of it and buy new,  cos  I had to go electric, so decided to provide myse;f with an induction hob. I now have two steel saucepans, a steel stockpot, and a large steel saute pan (Ï won't buy aything wth "non-stick surface)  That's the lot.  but then there's only room for a single hob  (so i can only use one pan at a time)  and precious little room for storing cookware, so i had better linit myself to just one more piece. i think iron skillett would be the  most useful addition -  am experimenting with making flatbread, cos i can't eat any of the ready-made breads, and have neither the oven nor the spoons for making trad bread); and i fgure a skillet would be great for that. Am still open to other suggestions, mind.  Just don't say "steamer"  I have tried a dozen designs of steamer and regularly scalded myself on the lot.  Am through with that!   (Am also still hoping to get a move to somewhere roomier  :laugh: but better not count on it.  needing to make own food from scratch isn't on the council's checklist for acceptable reasons for requiring more space, wouldn't you know it?  ::))
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:59:27 PM by Walkie »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7539 on: June 13, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »

Interested to know what the "ring test"is? 

The clue was in the message. Find a way to support it, like a stick or a pen or anything that will not dampen the sound too much, just hold it up somehow. Then just bang on it with another stick or even your knuckles.
If it is not cracked it will ring like a bell. Probably an off key tone, but a clear tone.
A cracked pan will not ring "right."  They will sound dull and they will not ring when you smack them. A pan that has no major cracks will sound like, bing or bong or ding or dong, but a bad one will just sound like a dull, non-resonant bump.
Many frying pans have large enough handles that you can even hold the hand grip in your hand and it will still ring, but not if it's cracked.

It is not one hundred percent, but it is a quick way to sort out bad pans at one of the sales where everyone is pushing and grabbing over you.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7540 on: June 13, 2020, 06:26:47 PM »

The clue was in the message. Find a way to support it, like a stick or a pen or anything that will not dampen the sound too much, just hold it up somehow. Then just bang on it with another stick or even your knuckles.
If it is not cracked it will ring like a bell. Probably an off key tone, but a clear tone.
A cracked pan will not ring "right."  They will sound dull and they will not ring when you smack them. A pan that has no major cracks will sound like, bing or bong or ding or dong, but a bad one will just sound like a dull, non-resonant bump.
Many frying pans have large enough handles that you can even hold the hand grip in your hand and it will still ring, but not if it's cracked.

It is not one hundred percent, but it is a quick way to sort out bad pans at one of the sales where everyone is pushing and grabbing over you.
I just learned something new today. Very cool.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7541 on: June 13, 2020, 08:20:18 PM »

Ah thanks :) the clue was lost on me cos i much though i thought it over,  i was visualising rings and not audiblising them (or whatever the word is)  :LOL:

I just recalled another reason why i hesitated to buy one. I noticed almost all of the ones on sale had solid cast-iron handles with no insulation around them.   yeah, i know, i know what i can do about that, but then i kept a pan with a metal handle for at least 10 years , used it quite often, yet never managed to train myself out of auomatically  grasping the handle with bare hands. i guess i'm naturally hopeless  :LOL: .

But, then again,  way back when I had the kitchen space and energy to cook properly, i often had guests say things like "Who would guess that such deliciousness could emerge from such chaos? "  :green: so it's not that i'm hopeless at cooking so much as hopeless at doing it (or anything  else, come to that)  in a tidy, orderly and safe fashion.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:22:03 PM by Walkie »

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #7542 on: June 13, 2020, 08:43:22 PM »
Mom gave me the most "logical" motivational push to rewrite/revise my novel I've been working on since 2011

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7543 on: June 13, 2020, 10:07:51 PM »
Got out of work intact, had a hot shower and now chilling to pooter time.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7544 on: June 14, 2020, 06:07:51 AM »
This was yesterday but watching the dog have her first swim of the season was a joy. She loves it so much. Even better if she has something to fetch and retrieve in the water.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad