Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120138 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #7095 on: July 31, 2019, 09:56:41 PM »
Had a very good chat with the organiser of a conference I'm currently attending.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7096 on: August 01, 2019, 08:40:03 AM »
Walkie, good things and deeds multiply. I'm glad for you.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #7097 on: August 02, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »
Coming here and finding good humoured posts. :)
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7098 on: August 02, 2019, 03:24:06 PM »
Someone gave me some special chocolate from Massachusetts 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7099 on: August 02, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
 :thumbup:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7100 on: August 07, 2019, 03:26:14 AM »
Well, the good news is that my plane landed almost an hour early.

The bad news is that BA had a systems failure affecting Heathrow this morning so planes weren't allowed to leave and we didn't get a gate until after an hour at the runway.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7101 on: August 16, 2019, 08:09:51 PM »
Found a Snap-on ratchet at a garage sale cheep
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7102 on: August 17, 2019, 11:52:29 PM »
Coffee.

And finally, no rain.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7103 on: September 04, 2019, 09:21:15 PM »
The Good:
We just today finished getting all new windows and doors in our house. That is no small thing! They are awesome. Something we have needed for several years. That included a sliding glass door for the rear deck access.
Very nice triple pane windows with "fake small pane break-ups" set inside each window making it look as if they were more old fashioned type. A very nice looking touch.
Does absolutely nothing for the working and sealing of the window, but it looks nice. It is the gas charged triple pane design that actually cost so much.

The Bad:
The rookie who was assisting the older fellow doing most of the work, after installing the inside trim around the glass door, popped out his air hose powering his air nailer from the compressor end first and lost control of the end of the hose and it smashed and BROKE out the inner pane on the glass door.
 :bigcry:

They were almost completely DONE!!

The Ugly:
Since all our windows and doors were all custom made (older house with all handmade everything), it will take another two weeks for the replacement panel to arrive. The door has three basic parts; the frame, the stationary glass panel and the sliding glass panel. It was the stationary panel that was broken.
Fortunately, only the inner panel was broken, so we are bug free without having to put up a plywood wall there.
Still, two weeks until finish!

I had them out to the house to start this process back in late May, after beginning my online research of all these local companies back in February. Finally it was coming together and being finished, I thought. Two more weeks!
THEN all is good.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:23:04 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7104 on: September 05, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
awww heck, still i guess it was a bigger disaster for the guy who smashed the window than for yourself, DD.  He has cost the company a pretty penny. I  shouldn't be surprised if he loses his job ober that :(

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #7105 on: September 05, 2019, 07:44:42 PM »
I was shopping at walmart today, when an elderly lady, caught my attention at the check out line.  She said, "excuse me" near the battery display....so she said, "your a man, can you help me decide between these two type of batteries."  She had in her hands a package of eveready batteries and duracell batteries.  This was a no-brainer for me.  So we talked and I explained that from experience, NOT because I was a man......that I always used the Eveready batteries as the Duracell had a history, in my experience, of leaking and ruining the devices that I was using them in.  She was most grateful, and stated that she was leaning to the Eveready Batteries, and my opinion convinced her to stick with them.  It's simple experiences like these that make me happy and keep me going!  8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7106 on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
awww heck, still i guess it was a bigger disaster for the guy who smashed the window than for yourself, DD.  He has cost the company a pretty penny. I  shouldn't be surprised if he loses his job ober that :(

I am sure you are right. He was quite distraught over his mistake.
I immediately went over to "comfort" him and assure him that This Shit just happens sometimes and that he should not beat himself up over it too much.
The owner of the company called me later that evening to update me and "apologize" about the incident. I asked about the youngster and he just said that this type of thing has happened to every one of his employees over the years and such costs are a part of doing business. He said the kid always does great work and he will keep his job.

Sometimes shit just happens.
 :dunno:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7107 on: September 06, 2019, 01:57:24 AM »
Coffee happened.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7108 on: September 06, 2019, 04:12:40 AM »
I was shopping at walmart today, when an elderly lady, caught my attention at the check out line.  She said, "excuse me" near the battery display....so she said, "your a man, can you help me decide between these two type of batteries."  She had in her hands a package of eveready batteries and duracell batteries.  This was a no-brainer for me.  So we talked and I explained that from experience, NOT because I was a man......that I always used the Eveready batteries as the Duracell had a history, in my experience, of leaking and ruining the devices that I was using them in.  She was most grateful, and stated that she was leaning to the Eveready Batteries, and my opinion convinced her to stick with them.  It's simple experiences like these that make me happy and keep me going!  8)
Similar situations have happened to me. I know I'm only a volunteer but customers do appreciate it when I can help them. Had a long talk with a lady about what type of blanket she should buy for her dog. There was a choice of 2. She said her dog had a habit of tearing everything to pieces so I recommended the thicker blanket. The blanket was also a lot bigger than the other one. The lady was happy with that so she bought it.  :green:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7109 on: September 06, 2019, 12:27:33 PM »

I am sure you are right. He was quite distraught over his mistake.
I immediately went over to "comfort" him and assure him that This Shit just happens sometimes and that he should not beat himself up over it too much.
The owner of the company called me later that evening to update me and "apologize" about the incident. I asked about the youngster and he just said that this type of thing has happened to every one of his employees over the years and such costs are a part of doing business. He said the kid always does great work and he will keep his job.

Sometimes shit just happens.
 :dunno:
Good for you, DD :)  :plus:
And thank goodness for sensible bosses.  I knew a guy who worked as a machine setter for a small engineering firm. The boss used to cajole him into coming into work, even if he had the flu. showing him the books and pointing out exactly  how much money worker sickness was costing him. Well, my mate was sympathetic, cos it really is tough for small businesses to stay afloat . But then, when the inevitable finally happened, and he made the little error that ruined a really big job, guess what? Yeah, he got the sack.  He was sympathetic towards the bosses position on that too, saying yeah, he deserved it. But me, i'd be surprised if the boss ever found someone better.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 12:30:21 PM by Walkie »