Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120117 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6885 on: December 16, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »
While clearing the kitchen to put clutter up and out I found the food dehydrator my Mom gave me in 1999 and never used. I hoped I hadn't thrown it away after the fire.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6886 on: December 16, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
While clearing the kitchen to put clutter up and out I found the food dehydrator my Mom gave me in 1999 and never used. I hoped I hadn't thrown it away after the fire.

Wow those can be very cool.
If it works you should try it on some things.

I have never had a manufactured one. I made one out of scrapped out old oven parts a few years back.  Used the burners, rheostats, shelves and built a wooden box with filtered fans in the bottom I scavenged from old amplifiers. It worked great, but I had a lot invested in making it and it was not as flexible as a good one.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #6887 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
Woke up in a good mood. Amazing what sleep can accomplish :)
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6888 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »
Got my med refills, and first morphine dose of the day, about to have a cigar. Had meant to administer an intramuscular dose of the pain medication, as per usual, but, as once in a while, occasionally, and quite unpredictably happens, I'd hit a deep vein, far too deep, to aim for on purpose, but the needle tip penetrates at a right angle when it happens, not how an IV ought to be performed (they should be entering the vein at a shallow angle, aiming in the direction blood flows towards the heart), but of course, when that happens, I can't see it, and some muscles are easier  to shoot in than others and some areas on the same one offer more, or less resistance to the entry of the liquid, so it's hard to tell.

But when I got a sort of metallic, electrickey taste in my mouth, not ON my tongue, but tasted INSIDE my tongue, if that makes sense, and intense itching at the unintended IV site, plus  a strong elevation of my heart rate, much more forceful than usual, and an intense warm, snuggly, euphoric *MMmmmmmMMMMMM!* sort of all-over body and mental rush...I knew what had happened. Accidentally delivered 5ml of saturated morphine sulfate solution intravenously, causing it all to be absorbed within seconds, and take effect all at once.

Not unpleasant though, definitely not complaining. Just unintended. Unintentional, but very nice and quite enjoyable.

Sitting back, and smoking a cigar, as IV rushes from opiates go with tobacco like parasol mushrooms and a frying pan full of sizzling hot, salted butter, the hard stuff not the soft spreadable part veg oil muck. Not the same with pure inhaled nicotine vapour, not at all, the e-cig doesn't hit the spot. It's the only time I smoke tobacco any more, since getting an e-fag. Although I do think I might just have the answer to what makes the difference, between nicotine vapor, and tobacco smoking.  And it's something I could either replicate in the lab, and add the compounds to e-liquid, or, extract them from a plant known as the vine of the dead, the vine of souls, or yage' (the ' goes over the top of the letter 'e',  pronounced 'yah-ey', with a short 'h'). Or from a couple other plants, but from yage' is the better one IMO, unless going the synthetic route, but of the plant sources of monoamine oxidase inhibitor MAOIs that inhibit MAO-A, in a RIMA type way, like moclobemide does, yage' is  the better one to start with IMO.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6889 on: December 17, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »

I have never had a manufactured one. I made one out of scrapped out old oven parts a few years back.  Used the burners, rheostats, shelves and built a wooden box with filtered fans in the bottom I scavenged from old amplifiers. It worked great, but I had a lot invested in making it and it was not as flexible as a good one.

Definitely going to try some dehydrating in the new year.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6890 on: December 17, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »

I've been contemplating buying one at some point. Cheaper to make my own beef jerky for myself and treats for the dogs.

Finally started working on my sisters present again.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6891 on: December 17, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
now I just need to find the large electric roaster.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6892 on: December 17, 2018, 05:16:49 PM »

I've been contemplating buying one at some point. Cheaper to make my own beef jerky for myself and treats for the dogs.

I used to dry all my herbs in it...sage, oregano, parsley...catnip. The later one was how it met it's demise, crashing to the floor after I left it unsupervised to get a load of laundry from the dryer... and the fur kids went in for the attack.

Now I just dry the herbs & nip in the microwave...they can't tip that and it only takes a few minutes.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6893 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:53 PM »
Icequeen, I'm hoping to start a small garden this spring. I'll probably do container gardening rather than something in the ground.  If my track record holds up they'll die before harvest.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6894 on: December 17, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »

I used to dry all my herbs in it...sage, oregano, parsley...catnip. The later one was how it met it's demise, crashing to the floor after I left it unsupervised to get a load of laundry from the dryer... and the fur kids went in for the attack.

Now I just dry the herbs & nip in the microwave...they can't tip that and it only takes a few minutes.
:lol1:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6895 on: December 18, 2018, 01:36:54 AM »
I've  no food dehydrator. Although I doubt I'd use it for food.

I've had plenty use out of the microwave though, both food  and  otherwise. It can be used for pulling off some real wizardry when it comes  to Knoevanagel condensations....
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6896 on: December 18, 2018, 08:10:19 AM »
Taking a break from social media happened and that has been a very good thing, indeed.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6897 on: December 18, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
Icequeen, I'm hoping to start a small garden this spring. I'll probably do container gardening rather than something in the ground.  If my track record holds up they'll die before harvest.

I put in 2 raised beds from dry stacked cinder block wall that started to topple and I replaced with locking block and have some containers as well. Fenced the whole mess off finally this spring.

Neighbor can grow literally anything in a container...I don't do as well.  :P With me it has a better survival chance when it's in the ground. :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6898 on: December 18, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

Container gardening is a special science with some fine art and lots of attention thrown in. It is far more difficult than most people think.
Go ahead and start your pots (hint: make them much larger pots than you think you might need, some science there), check them twice a day in summer (attention). Keep them moist but not wet - fine line, some of that art.
Watch the leaves to know when they need more sun or less. Leaves curling up are in need of water. Leaves curling downward are hiding from the sun. Sciencey art and attention.

But, if you can manage the effort, clear away a small patch of sunny ground removing weeds and grass. Sprinkle evenly a couple of seed packs of marigold and/or zinnia seeds. These require almost no care except watering and make a very satisfying display with minimal effort.
Worth it in the south!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6899 on: December 18, 2018, 02:01:16 PM »
Definitely coming to DD with my gardening questions whenever I get the chance to start one. I swear my home is where plants come to die. I can keep children and pets alive though for their natural life span so at least there's that  ;)
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad