Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120121 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6855 on: December 05, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
Coffee just happened. Saved my morning.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6856 on: December 06, 2018, 05:21:54 AM »
My NBN connection was activated. I'm currently flying through cyberspace at 96 Mbps. God bless that node less than 100m away!

And I've finally got my hands on a full size spare wheel for my car. It will get couriered to me in the next few days.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6857 on: December 06, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
That's just as good as FTTP! That's what we have. Our wi-fi is excellent too, even through a brick wall and wooden door I still have great reception.

And good about your car wheel too. They really should come with the car.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6858 on: December 07, 2018, 07:23:30 AM »
Apparently, after eight years of waiting since they buried this massive bundle of Optical data cable one block over, we will soon have a choice as to our fast internet company.

We have had some satellite service available for a number of years as a way to compete with Comcast, but it was one tenth the speed available from a hard cable connnection. Now we may be able to have 75MB/sec speeds available from another company.
I have not done a speed test lately, but I am sure my Comcast service is faster than that.

Kind of a toss up as to whether 75 or 100 is that different for non business use. I'll run a connection speed test in a bit and post the results.

I would kind of like to tell Comcast to fuck off and die.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6859 on: December 07, 2018, 07:40:23 AM »
Speed test from ATT.

Still thinking about switching from Comcast
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 07:42:27 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6860 on: December 07, 2018, 12:12:59 PM »
We've got 250 Mbps, in theory. Probably not that fast in real life but very, very stable.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6861 on: December 07, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
We've got 250 Mbps, in theory. Probably not that fast in real life but very, very stable.

At home that is great.

Ours has been very stable for about three years, but with ATT ripping through all the existing data cables, splicing in and so forth. Ours goes out every day for half an hour or so.
Not acceptable for a business, but who gives a fuck about residential service.

I hesitate to even to talk about the twelve T3 lines at BBY. With that system it is not so much about actual quantity of data that can stream both ways as it is interlacing thousands of connections at the same time without dropping one.

But, Yeah. They need to update a few things again.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6862 on: December 07, 2018, 03:52:09 PM »

At home that is great.

Ours has been very stable for about three years, but with ATT ripping through all the existing data cables, splicing in and so forth. Ours goes out every day for half an hour or so.

I hesitate to even to talk about the twelve T3 lines at BBY. With that system it is not so much about actual quantity of data that can stream both ways as it is interlacing thousands of connections at the same time without dropping one.

Thankfully nobody ever has to dig anywhere near the fibre - our house is a bit off and nothing is going on around it, no big building projects, nothing.

My Linksys main router seems to be the main cause of trouble, actually. It doesn't play along brilliantly with the TV or the Chromecast, so a reboot is needed every now and then. Some caching issue, I'd expect. Maybe it's time to look for new firmware again.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6863 on: December 07, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »

At home that is great.

Thankfully nobody ever has to dig anywhere near the fibre - our house is a bit off and nothing is going on around it, no big building projects, nothing.

My Linksys main router seems to be the main cause of trouble, actually. It doesn't play along brilliantly with the TV or the Chromecast, so a reboot is needed every now and then. Some caching issue, I'd expect. Maybe it's time to look for new firmware again.
Last time I bought a router it was the best things since tits, the cat's meow, etc. One step down from the best you could get. I think I even posted pics, stupidly.

Now it is way outdated and it is really not that old (maybe I am just that old - as we both know, computer things are out of date before they hit the market) but for all the home wi-fi things that many use today, this one barely holds up. I only have the typical twelve or so in house, hand held devices and four shelf devices drawing through this thing, plus three lazy desk tops, and one security camera.
(GAWD, now that I addded up some of it, I really need to upgrade my wi-fi system, don't I?)

I am just not ready to spend a buttload of bucks on a new router and related system components. I have already got the most recent updates to the firmware, unless something newer just popped.

I have a standing rule - turn it off when you put it on charge. Keeps a bit of the bandwidth available, in my dreams.

There is a railroad track near the road (in fact the road splits to accommodate the train that used travel through the town) so the main stuff is about twenty feet down with an enormous "person" hole that accesses the data cables. Below that is a huge drainage/flood control "concrete river" that diverts all the local rain and snow melt to the big river which is about half a mile away.
So, hopefully, no more digging for a while.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6864 on: December 08, 2018, 03:57:43 AM »
I don't think I need a new router just yet either. I put a lot of thought into this setup and want to keep it, if possible. But you're right, these things are old before they ever hit the market.

There's a network printer I'd like to replace first, a Canon MFP. There's nothing wrong with the printer itself but the drivers are something of a mess and Canon doesn't address the core issues when releasing new ones. I need to get a proper HP printer again.

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #6865 on: December 09, 2018, 06:05:40 PM »
this didn't happen today, but might be news worthy.

Yesterday a chicken died.

:/

It was sickly, injured or something. Poor chicken. Too cold to even bury it.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6866 on: December 11, 2018, 03:50:23 PM »
Donated a bunch of my dad's boat photos to a really cool older guy that ran a small museum about 5 years back...found more cleaning out the attic last week in prep for more insulation being put down.

I've been trying to gear myself up to toss the lot for 5 days but couldn't.

Guess who randomly appeared at my door this afternoon?

He's closing down the museum and wanted a photo of my  dad to go with the previous lot (Carnegie museum is taking his collection). He was more than happy to take the rest off of my hands.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #6867 on: December 11, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
Well, what a convenient coincidence Icequeen!

I misread the topic title yesterday. A dead chicken was not a "good" thing, just a thing that happened. Oops.

Well today I whittled a wand for a friend. It's nice carving things.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6868 on: December 11, 2018, 09:11:56 PM »
I have a bunch of WWII photos taken by PA's uncle while he was building the Alaskan highway.  They're the usual distance, slightly blurry photos of the time with no identification.I also have the war insurance policy issued by the government that my Grandma Teenie (the JayWalker) bought.  Hopefully the World War 2 Museum here will take them. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6869 on: December 14, 2018, 09:17:04 PM »
I made contact with WolFish's spazz nephew. That didn't happen today, what happened today is I bought him a Steam gift certificate, because he is a gamer, and I do not think there is anybody else in his family who would understand.

No I haven't invited him here. Yes, I might at some point.   :autism:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.