Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120131 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6165 on: September 10, 2017, 04:01:12 PM »
Found another silver quarter and a regular dime in the yard today
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6166 on: September 10, 2017, 10:56:38 PM »
The dog was all over me when I woke up, happy to see me.

Is she confusing you with a sire?

That's a reasonable alternative explanation. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6167 on: September 11, 2017, 03:23:25 PM »
Best friend took half a day off work to be with pup and monkey boy so I could be at the hospital with the SO. She showed up with a 6 pack of Diet Coke to put in my fridge, dinner that she'll be making with leftovers for SO and I tonight and all the ingredients for a crockpot dinner tomorrow so I don't have to cook. She's amazing.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6168 on: September 11, 2017, 04:26:58 PM »

How is that metal detector?

All I ever find is nails in my yard here.  :laugh:

The other house was a lot better for detecting. 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6169 on: September 11, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »

Its good but it takes a lot of practice to find things effectively.  Still no pin pointer but ordering one soon.  My yard is full of all kinds of stuff mostly junk
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6170 on: September 11, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »

I live in a place that has be inhabited for fucking ages.

All my metal detector ever finds is rusty old toys. 
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #6171 on: September 11, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »

Its good but it takes a lot of practice to find things effectively.  Still no pin pointer but ordering one soon.  My yard is full of all kinds of stuff mostly junk

I was thinking about trying a sniper coil on mine. One park I hunt is 98% trash...although I did find a lot of change/junk jewelry in the mulch on the tot lots there.

I seldom get a chance to get out though anymore.

I live in a place that has be inhabited for fucking ages.

All my metal detector ever finds is rusty old toys. 

Old house netted a lot of change, massive amounts of foil, silver quarters, 1 mercury dime, 1 Chinese coin, religious medals, and a gold wedding band (eyeball find that one while transplanting a bush)...plus a crapload of marbles while planting flowers.

I wish they had something to detect marbles. I loved finding those. :laugh:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #6172 on: September 12, 2017, 04:51:13 AM »
You'd want a ground penetrating radar for nonmetallic objects.

And what is a mercury dime? made of amalgam of some kind? surely they'd never use Hg in coinage??? obviously of course it could not be used in pure form given it is a liquid metal with a freezing point low enough that it would cause cryogenic type tissue burns just touching it.

And religious medals? reminds me of the time  I found, whilst looking for copper or lead scrap in a dumpster, a motherlode of silver scraps, some silver artefacts, one of them an antique page-turner for books made of a non-sharp, long, round-tipped piece of either ivory or whalebone with a hefty silver endcap and inlaid with silver lettering, the lettering itself being of sufficient silver content to need parts which penetrate right through one end and out of the other to be fastened in. Also the best find, was solid silver, a religious medallion that weighs over an oz, total weight-32g, seeming (when weighed on my less sensitive scale, accurate to 1g, I dare not weigh something that heavy on my sensitive lab scale, since that is calibrated for milligrams, and I wouldn't want to overload it and damage it, since it is a precision instrument, accurate to 0.001g, nor have to bother with waiting for it to equilibriate to the temperature of the room, make sure all sources of drafts are absent etc.) to (on the kitchen digital scale) to hover between 32 and 33g. I'll post pics as soon as I've sanitized them of both EXIF and GPS metadata for personal privacy reasons (photos taken with digital cameras or with phone cameras, especially newer ones almost always to always include all manner of private information, such as make and model of camera, time taken, shutter speed, flash on or off, date/time, even GPS coordinates that allow anybody to read the information and locate you to within GPS satellite accuracy precision, and pinpoint your location even within your home, called metadata, and most of it is EXIF, whilst there is also often separate GPS coordinates recorded inside the photo, although there are common tools to strip these nasty little bits of big brother out and throw them in the fire so to speak.)

Soon as I've stripped out the metadata I'll upload photos of this. I think its not just an old antique, but VERY old, from the style, most likely from the middle east, arabic silversmithing work.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6173 on: September 12, 2017, 04:57:40 AM »

Rear face, the lettering reads as follows:

Upper left templar-style flared cross: 'jerusalem'
Lower '' '' cross  'silver'
Lower right '' cross :  '900'

Front face:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6174 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:53 AM »
Found as stated, whilst dumpster-diving hoping for copper pipe, lead sheeting or piping, copper wire, any valuable scrap metal (IMO if its been thrown in a skip, for the trash, then its completely fair game to dumpster-dive and take whatever is in there. I'd expect and be fine with people taking things I threw in a skip if I'd ever hired a skip and thrown things away in it.

I was hoping for enough money in scrap metal for maybe a meal, or a pack of decent cigars, maybe even one proper cigar, or for thrown out technology that may have thought to be broken but in fact just in need of a replacement part. Got a computer that way once, and a microwave. The MW works fine, just needed the timer resetting. I use it as a lab MW now, so I can do syntheses and experiments that involve toxic reagents, rather than limit myself to totally nontoxic, nonhazardous reagents and solvents in the household MW. Or if something is toxic, then it had to be TOTALLY nonvolatile at any reasonable temperature (and with MW synths of any kind one must continuously monitor the temperature since MW heating is totally different in its physics from regular heating by application of a flame. Perhaps most similar to induction heating. But unlike say, applying heat via heating a container full of whatever is to be heated either with or without solvent over a burner, or on a hotplate, microwaves induce heating on the molecular level by excitation of the magnetic dipole moments of atoms as I understand it, and the heating rate is very nonlinear. That is to say, a length of irradiation at a given output wattage of MW energy that would raise a sample of a given size starting at room temperature (lets take RT to = 20 degrees 'C) to for example 50 degrees over X number of seconds, may if starting rather than from RT, but from 40 'C raise the temperature over an irradiation time of X seconds to not the expected 70 'C but to 80, or if the temperature started from be 50 'C then after X seconds the temperature might spike up to 120-130 even with the same output wattage and irradiation time.

So you've GOT TO watch the temperature like a hawk, unless using specially made laboratory microwaves (they exist, MW chem is developing all the time and getting to be used quite often, and its often MASSIVELY, drastically more effective and faster than conventional heating. For example, for a specific synthesis that requires a temperature of 60-70 'C as effective temp. range for conducting the reaction and is done over 6 to sometimes 8 hours on a steam bath, keeping it at that temperature all the time, you get a lot of time taken up out of your precious work time, and also a lot more byproducts in the specific rxn I think of here, although will not name for certain reasons. Somebody clued me into it, and I went and started to pioneer the use of it and have developed it into something of an art taking proper full form amongst a certain brotherhood of chemists of certain inclinations and have developed enough skill at it to teach others now:)

It in the microwave form, takes not 6 hours AT 60-70 'C, but a PEAK temperature of this range, done in pulses, cooling it down in a cold water bath until it again reaches room temperature, and irradiation time of at first burst, just under one minute, thereafter done in bursts of maybe 20 seconds, 30s, examining the thermometer by taking the vessel out of the microwave every ten-fifteen seconds or so and rather than heating at the peak temp for all the time, using it as a maximum value and using total irradiation time as the important guiding factor. And rather than 6-7 hours, lots of byproducts as dirty reddish mother liquors, a solid block of not far from quantitative yield, in 20 minutes of irradiation time (900 watts output power) using pulsed irradiation and intermittent cooling, allowing the peak temperature to be reached once, and then kept lower throughout, before finally rather than a cooling bath, putting the borosilicate glass flask into the freezer after taking the thermometer out temporarily, scratching with a glass rod (NOT the thermometer, thats bad lab practice and they are too delicate which is why its bad practice, a solid or hollow glass rod works just fine, followed by one final burst of irradiation from freezer cold temperatures to 60-70 degrees 'C.)

I've been meaning to experiment further with starting from sub-zero temperatures, to see if it can be irradiated longer and the last traces of precursor reacted. But put this way, 6-7 hours down to 20 minutes, near quantitative yield in the microwave, compares with, on the steam bath or hotplate to lots of byproducts, and an entire cup full of dirty looking red mother liquor from which multiple crops of crystals have to be freeze precipitated out and recrystallized in addition to the conventional cleaning workup, catalyst removal etc. The cleaning out of catalyst must be done with the microwave reaction too, but rather than a cup full (at the scale the rxn was done at in this particular case) of mother liquor, unreacted chemicals and byproducts, there, in the flask, upon freezing, was one solid block of product, with less than a teaspoonful of solid adduct formed from one of the precursors, and maybe 10ml to 15-20ml if that, after sucking dry over the vacuum line in the buchner funnel.

And most of that could be recycled too.
And rather than dirty, dark red product, it was the pure, sparkly yellow crystals expected from a high-quality product. Even before recrystallization. And no vacuum distillation of the intermediate required!

In short, microwave chemistry can seriously kick the fuck out of a megaton of arses:autism:

In fact, that reaction has NEVER ONCE been re-done using conventional heating methods. Never. And it won't, not when a microwave is available.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6175 on: September 12, 2017, 07:26:06 AM »
I only just realised yesterday evening that the dealership never handed back my service logbook with my keys on friday, so I called and emailed them today to ask them to post it to me (assuming they misplaced it at the counter or something, or worse, lost it completely). Turns out they put it neatly in the faux leather folio in my glovebox...y'know, where it belongs. My expectations of them were so low that I got pleasantly surprised :laugh:

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #6176 on: September 12, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
Didn't die.  :asthing:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6177 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »
^

Throwing a party because S_B is alive and kicking.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6178 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
One of the big hurdles of September has been taken.

Two more to go.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6179 on: September 12, 2017, 01:45:53 PM »
Had lots of fun at the Frankfurt Motor Show.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein