Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120108 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6120 on: August 08, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
Grey area, try TORbrowser. Its firefox based, with TOR integrated, as well as NoScript, for security (can be disabled when needed, certain sites, such as academic sites don't like TOR though, due to its supporting of anonymity so firefox and inprivate browsing can be used for them when needed. TORbrowser works fine with youtube though, if you get a country-based IP block all you need do is change TOR circuit, and it'll have you round the block in seconds, by routing your connection through multiple proxy nodes, and an exit node in another country. You can effectively appear to be from wherever you want. Country blocks are just fucking stupid, and ineffective at that, so TOR will both improve your privacy, and let you step round IP blocks with just two mouse clicks. One to open the menu and then one click to change TOR circuit, and done, no more block.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6121 on: August 08, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
Thanks for the congrats, everyone.

Do we have to call you Boss now?
Goodness, no. Jack isn't a leader, and being held responsible/accountable for others wouldn't be a good thing.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6122 on: August 10, 2017, 03:16:33 AM »
Good on you, Jack.  :) Does it mean more hours?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6123 on: August 10, 2017, 05:11:29 AM »
Good on you, Jack.  :) Does it mean more hours?
It's hard to say; maybe not. Work extra when it's needed anyway during times of heavy workload, which currently is those times. It does mean more responsibility, but had already recently taken on the added responsibility. The new project is a bit of a learning curve at the moment, so it's difficult to know how time consuming it will really be once settled into a process and doing it becomes second nature.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6124 on: August 10, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
The three big packs of pre-cut filter papers for the smaller of my Buchner funnels arrived, as did  the two new vacuum adapters I bought (this kind is different from a still-head with a vacuum takeoff, or a big filtration flask w/ vac barb etc. in that its just a ground glass joint, leading to a vacuum hose fitting, with a teflon stopcock in between for regulating the vacuum.

And the papers fit just about right. Just opened the first pack and put the first one into the funnel in question so I can filter the crystals of something I'm cleaning up, after first dissolving in a minimal quantity of boiling dry isopropyl alcohol, and then crashing the product out (its insoluble in H2O) by filtration of the product to get rid of any insolubles, addition of just-above freezing temperature water, diluting the tiny volume of hot solvent used and dropping the temperature, to crash out the desired product plus other soluble impurities remaining (the main ones, one is water soluble, unlike the product, whilst the other can be gotten rid of by crashing it into saturated sodium bisulfite solution to form an adduct that can be filtered off, and then the product recovered from the bisulfite solution by extracting into a hot portion of a suitable solvent which won't dissolve the adduct.

The isopropanol is just beginning to boil in an erlenmeyer flask, placed in a hot water bath on the hotplate. Time to get the goggles on and get to work:)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:12:25 PM by Lestat »

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #6125 on: August 10, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
Grey area, try TORbrowser. Its firefox based, with TOR integrated, as well as NoScript, for security (can be disabled when needed, certain sites, such as academic sites don't like TOR though, due to its supporting of anonymity so firefox and inprivate browsing can be used for them when needed. TORbrowser works fine with youtube though, if you get a country-based IP block all you need do is change TOR circuit, and it'll have you round the block in seconds, by routing your connection through multiple proxy nodes, and an exit node in another country. You can effectively appear to be from wherever you want. Country blocks are just fucking stupid, and ineffective at that, so TOR will both improve your privacy, and let you step round IP blocks with just two mouse clicks. One to open the menu and then one click to change TOR circuit, and done, no more block.

If the TOR network is still as slow as it was a couple of years ago when I last tried it, the videos would probably still be buffering by the time the DVD set is released. Is it faster now?
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6126 on: August 10, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
In my experience yes, and its certainly quick enough (using TORbrowser at least, with the latest few versions its been fine at least) to watch youtube videos (Only issue is occasionally youtube detects 'large volumes of traffic coming from your IP' and wants the user to try some crappy and badly working captcha. If that happens then just change TOR circuit and that issue will be bypassed. The TOR network is always growing, when people decide to start running a new node)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6127 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »
Rainbow after a dust and wind storm, catching the light of a setting sun and glowing about 70% orange.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6128 on: August 12, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
Productive day. Feeling thankful for my SO.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6129 on: August 27, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Silent morning. Sparrows chirping in the backyard. Cats checking out front of the house, magpie in the distance.

No drilling, no mechanical sanding, no tearing down of illegal side buildings, not even the barking ot howling of a dog.

Even the highway in the distance is not bringing its usual buzz.

Far far away a church bell tells that it is 9 am, but it's hardly audible.

Nice start of the day.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6130 on: August 27, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »
My mother bought me a lawnmower for my birthday and I mowed a lawn for the first time ever.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6131 on: August 27, 2017, 06:24:35 PM »
My mother bought me a lawnmower for my birthday and I mowed a lawn for the first time ever.

Great gift.  Piece of advice?  Until you get used to mowing take an aspirirn or similar and some water before you start mowing.  They'll be in your system working while you're making aches and pains.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #6132 on: August 27, 2017, 07:19:59 PM »
I'm and only child so I had to do the mowing. I hate mowers and weedeaters because the vibrations make my fingers swell and itch something awful.  >:(
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6133 on: August 27, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »
Good call, QV.

My mother is nuts and actually likes mowing. Something about the smell of freshly cut grass. She says it's relaxing. The result was she never made my brother or I do it when we were teenagers.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6134 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »
My dad loved mowing too. He mowed way more than his own bit of turf. Lawns of his sons in the same village got done by him aswell. He would go mowing to my youngest brother, and come back mowing. Thus maintaing a public path. After that he'd do a fair bit of another path.

He did get himself a machine that was not too brutal vibration wise.

My 82 year old mum can do her lawn without a problem with that machine.

Hope the joy of the scent of freshly cut gras may grow on you Pk.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!