Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120105 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #6015 on: July 05, 2017, 04:06:28 AM »
Finally, my two new magnetic stirrer/hotplates arrived :)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6016 on: July 05, 2017, 06:12:13 AM »
Ever made rhubarb crumble? It's something my mother made a lot when I was growing up, because we had a big monster plant that had overtaken one corner of her garden. Rhubarb and berries of some kind underneath, lots of sugar and goop, and a crumbly pastry topping sprinkled with cinnamon, baked till it's crispy.

I've got berries, I've got rhubarb, I know how to make a crumble dough. Think I'll be finding out about sugar and goop later today. Guess the goop will happen because of the sugar and the rhubarb.

Thank you. I'm going to have a great desert today.

Here, I managed to dredge up the recipe from the depths of my computer.

Quote from: Pyraxis' mum
Fruit Crumble

3 cups rhubarb, ½ cup white sugar, 1 tbsp water OR
1 cup gooseberries or other sour fruit, 2 cups apple, ½ cup sugar OR
1 cup blueberries or other sweet fruit, 2 cups apple, 1/3 cup sugar

1 ½ cups flour (GF: ¾ cup rice flour, ¾ cup oat flour)
¼ cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
3 oz margarine

Put first set of ingredients in pan. Sprinkle flour mixture over the top. Bake at 375F for 40 min.

Thank you. Had been thinking about what to add, and had decided apples had to be part of it too. The recipe looks great.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6017 on: July 05, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
Finally, my two new magnetic stirrer/hotplates arrived :)

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble
Fire burn and stirrers bubble.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6018 on: July 05, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Hehe.

They are for the US power supply, so I'm going to need to get a transformer to step down the voltage for both since we use 230-240V supply here. The one is 25 watt which is scalable to being made, whilst the other is something like a 700 watt output, so I need to buy a big transformer for that to use them. Can't wait for my heating mantle to arrive though (with magnetic stirrer too)

My current hotplate/stirrer has a bit of a nuisance trait now, after one of the several acts of necromancy performed, and graves its been dug out of (seriously, thing has cheated the reaper of his due quite a few times now, vanishing from the very onrush of his scythe at the last millisecond), only thing is now its wired up to a frankenstein-ey external power controller but the two functions, stirring and heating are dependent on the same controller, so I can't run the stirrer alone with the heat totally off. Which means overhead stirring with a drill having a DIY-ed stirring rod clamped in the chuck for when I wish to stir things which need to be sat in a cryogen bath of some sort whilst reacting. Keeping something at dry ice temperatures or close to that sort of cold, turning a hotplate on would be rather counterproductive:P

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6019 on: July 05, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »
All of the appointments booked for this week are done.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6020 on: July 10, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
In the meantime, since I need to get a couple of transformers to step down the voltage from 240V to 120V so I can run those stirrer and hotplates, and I'll have to wait for the heating mantle I ordered to arrive, I ordered yet another hotplate/stirrer, this time that hopefully should be coming to me quickly since its coming from not too far away, germany.

It is SO frustrating not having a hotplate/stirrer available, and being forced away from the benchtop almost completely. Although I am at least managing to re-do the work that was recently destroyed along with some expensive equipment that will be difficult to replace (see elder's, and it stays there too), by using a microwave-catalyzed route to what I have been working on. and will manage the one distillation I need to do on it by either cooling it down in an ice bath first and vacuum distilling off the methanol cold, so the reactants don't carry over, or else or using a boiling water bath because the methanol is the only component of the mixture that has to come off, and its also the only part that boils under 100 degrees so a boiling water bath cannot rise any hotter than that.

Got to say though, I really like the microwave based synthesis, its really effective, and its damnable fast too. The usual route to the compound I'm making involves heating the two reagents used with the catalyst needed together in a flask on a steam bath at about 60 to 70 degrees for, quantity dependent, anything from 2 to 6 hours. But in a microwave? 10 minutes to half an hour, pulsed irradiation taking it up to 60-70 then immediately taking it out and putting it in a cold water bath, then after that total irradiation time, putting it in the freezer then after a few hours, whilst still freezing cold, one last nuke up to 60 degrees and allowed to slowly cool to room temperature, back into freezer, preferably, if available, adding a little seed crystal of the compound in question if the rxn has been done before and a flake or two is available to assist crystallization.       

The methanol addition was an experiment, to assist in regulating the boiling point of the rxn mixture as the microwave can get it very hot very quickly.  but turns out the compound is extremely soluble in even the small amount of MeOH added, although the rxn will proceed just the same. The MeOH however will need to be distilled off before I can freeze-precipitate out my replacement first step in re-doing the work twice trashed by that fucking faggot shit-eating dirt ape.                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:08:08 AM by Lestat »

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6021 on: July 10, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
Although I abhor packing, I love unpacking. It's nice finding a place for everything.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6022 on: July 10, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
^And you can take your time doing it, too.

We have our inspection today and I have to say that Kayleigh surprised me in how she knuckled down and did her share. With really bad allergies too.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6023 on: July 10, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
^ Exactly! Far less pressure.

I'm so glad that Kayleigh jumped in. I don't like when so much falls onto you alone.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6024 on: July 10, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
We both did a lot. Her room looks excellent compared to how it was before. She's crashed out on her bed now. Can't blame her with all the sneezing she was doing. Dust.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6025 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Then you can both relax.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6026 on: July 10, 2017, 06:11:36 PM »
From a fellow allergy sufferer, get some of those cheap drugstore masks.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6027 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »
Although I abhor packing, I love unpacking. It's nice finding a place for everything.
Can't stand either. Packing usually has time constraints, but unpacking also has to be done swiftly to get everything into order as soon as possible. Two weeks after moving here, some local do-gooders stopped by to invite us to church, and were amazed we were completely settled in. :laugh:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6028 on: July 10, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »
Can't stand either. Packing usually has time constraints, but unpacking also has to be done swiftly to get everything into order as soon as possible. Two weeks after moving here, some local do-gooders stopped by to invite us to church, and were amazed we were completely settled in. :laugh:
I think my hobbling is preventing me from being obsessive. :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #6029 on: July 10, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »
I think my hobbling is preventing me from being obsessive. :laugh:
Probably. :laugh: