Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120139 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #5835 on: May 08, 2017, 05:34:33 AM »
Two years in this house and our first Huntsman spider. It is very cold outside. He is warm here. Little fella he is only two inches long. I have named him Harry. it makes me smile.

Waiting for the "when Harry met Barry".

It is really funny you say that. At times in the old house I would have a couple of Huntsmen running around at the same time. One would invariably be called Harry and the other Barry or Larry. They DO occasionally "run into each other", it REALLY freaks them out. They both panic and run away in opposite directions and get jittery.

But I am actually hoping that I get a few lady and male Huntsman Spiders in so I can breed them up and send them to CouldbeCousin. I think she would love them.

I've seen Huntsmen.  I'm amused that they freak each other out!  :hide: :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5836 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37:54 AM »
Two years in this house and our first Huntsman spider. It is very cold outside. He is warm here. Little fella he is only two inches long. I have named him Harry. it makes me smile.

It is really funny you say that. At times in the old house I would have a couple of Huntsmen running around at the same time. One would invariably be called Harry and the other Barry or Larry. They DO occasionally "run into each other", it REALLY freaks them out. They both panic and run away in opposite directions and get jittery.

But I am actually hoping that I get a few lady and male Huntsman Spiders in so I can breed them up and send them to CouldbeCousin. I think she would love them.

I live in a pretty fortunate part of the country, I've never encountered a Black Widow or
  brown recluse (two of our most venomous species).  About the worst I see is a yellow sac spider,
  the kind we generically refer to as a house spider.  They generally don't bother me, never bite me.  8)

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5837 on: May 08, 2017, 05:48:18 AM »

I've seen Huntsmen.  I'm amused that they freak each other out!  :hide: :laugh:

I should clarify here ... I've seen Huntsmen on the internet and one memorable time on TV.
  The show was set in Australia, and a Huntsman crawled onto the host as he was driving.  He handled it
  fine, laughed it off.  If I'd been driving that car, it would've ended up flattened against the nearest wall.  :o

People forget.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #5838 on: May 08, 2017, 06:00:14 AM »
Huntsmen are not venomous though. They CAN bite but are not overly aggressive. I really like them. In really bad heat, they get a bit toey and I put them out. The same with when they grow too large. Generally they are kind of docile and pretty cool. They hang out on the wall and I give them a "Hey Harry" as I walk past. They don't move and don't really freak out. Low maintenance pets.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5839 on: May 08, 2017, 06:02:22 AM »
Huntsmen are not venomous though. They CAN bite but are not overly aggressive. I really like them. In really bad heat, they get a bit toey and I put them out. The same with when they grow too large. Generally they are kind of docile and pretty cool. They hang out on the wall and I give them a "Hey Harry" as I walk past. They don't move and don't really freak out. Low maintenance pets.

What does "toey" mean?  And how large is too large?  :hide:

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5840 on: May 08, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
My brother got a job offer that he accepted.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5841 on: May 08, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
Al-yes, they are venomous. ALMOST all spiders are venomous. There are a very, very few that are not. Almost without exception, all spiders are venomous, commonly enough either the venom is impotent against humans, or the fangs of the spider are too small or delicate to deliver it through human skin.

The uloboridae (which wrap their prey in silk, then secrete digestive enzymes over it whilst its still alive), a group of miniscule predatory spiders, the liphiistidae are non-venomous, these are medium to large spiders with mygalomorph type fang morphology, and are not venomous, relying on their size and physical power plus large chelicera to physically overpower their prey, quite possibly the most primitive group of all spiders, forming a sister lineage to the araneomorphs and mygalomorphs (spiders which have fangs operating in a sideways-oriented pincer-like manner, and those which have downward-pointing, stabbing fangs, such as Loxosceles, Phoneutria and Latrodectus (the recluse spiders, brazilian wandering spiders and widows) as well as common orb-weaver spiders are araneomorphs, whilst the likes of mouse spiders, funnelwebs and wishbone spiders are mygalomorphs. The sea-spiders are another matter altogether, having stabbing stylets, like a mosquito or true bug (E.g assassin bugs) whilst originally thought to be at least a member of the order Chelicerata (spiders, scorpions, harvestmen, mites, pseudoscorpions, whipscorpions, camel 'spiders' (Solifugids), they may in fact not be, and be a sister group to all other arthropods, a relic of the Ediacaran biota, having similarities to the likes of Anomalocaris, not found within any other living creature. Peculiar creatures with a much reduced body plan, so much so, that they keep parts of their digestive tracts within their legs, of all places)

The mesothelids are spiders, of a kind, but basal, very primitive creatures, with a feature found on no other spider lineage-a segmented abdomen, covered with segmented plates, suggesting that they are a sister group to the spiders and scorpions in evolutionary terms, having diverged when both spiders and scorpions were separating as distinct groups during the evolution of both.

And there is a single known species of vegetarian spider, believe it or not. Whilst occasionally it does eat animal life, in the form of ant larvae, it feeds almost exclusively on the protein-rich nutrient packages certain acacia species provide for symbiotic ant colonies, which themselves protect the acacia trees by attacking and killing invading insect species which would otherwise attack the acacias. The trees in turn, provide little orange-yellow packets of protein specifically intended as nutrients for the ant larvae as motivation, and the ants have evolved to depend upon these. The spider feeds on these packages too, being agile enough to evade the vicious ants, as its one of the jumping spiders. Thus far, it is the only known vegetarian spider.

There are one, maybe two other orders of spider similar to the Uloborids, in that they are tiny (a few mm at most) and lack venom, but otherwise all true spiders, bar these, the Uloboridae and the Mesothelids (Liphiistidae) are venomous. Being harmful to humans is another kettle of fish entirely.

As for todays good happening at chateaux de Lestat, my old man just bought me a small fridge so I can keep my volatile solvents in it, got it cheap for just £30. Strictly speaking, he wants it to keep maggots in for his fishing, but said I can use it, and told me before I even had chance to observe the fact, that most likely, I'll be the one who by far and away gets the most use out of it. Just the sort of thing I need to keep solvents that have a propensity to escape through containers, and are difficult to contain. Things like diethyl, diisopropyl ether, THF, methylene chloride, chloroform, carbon disulfide, that kind of thing. As it happened, I'd been debating whether to spend today's pay portion allocated to lab supplies on a fridge, for just that purpose (minus the maggots) or a new heating mantle w/ magnetic stirring plus some new three necked flasks. Could do with some more of those, plus now I don't need to buy a fridge (this even has a freezer, so I can run a dedicated coolant line through it circulating something like an antifreeze/alcohol mixture, or a freon-type refrigerant to run through my condenser lines plumbed through the freezer portion. Really chuffed about that. Means I can buy myself the new fritted vacuum filter funnel I wanted too. Oh boy, that'll free up quite a bit of money, for me to spend all on goodies for the lab :)

Just plotting and scheming as to exactly what I want. I've got several hundred quid to do an update for this two week period :) I can't wait to go shopping :D

First on the list I think is some potassium or sodium bromide, preferably NaBr, since the atomic weight of sodium is less than that of potassium and its a convenient storage medium (plus sometimes reagent in its own right) for the otherwise very difficult to contain bromine, which must hold one of the championship titles for most bastardly reagents of all to store, it seeps through pretty much everything and anything bar glass given the slightest of chances. So I prefer to store it as a bromide salt, needing only to pass chlorine gas through a solution of it, which replaces the bromide anion with chloride, precipitating out bromine, which is insoluble in water, bar to a very small extent (enough to color water, producing 'bromine water', which itself is useful as a titration reagent for the presence of alkenes, one can determine whether a product has an alkene double bond, to which bromine adds, forming an alkyl bromide, a dilute solution of Br2 in water decolorizes in the presence of alkenes, due to this reaction, and it can be, if the weight of the original compound is known, used to determine how many double bonds there are, or if they are present at all.

Presumably it also adds to alkynes, although I've never actually looked that up. Other than that, I'd like very much to improve my ultra-microscale setup (for working at the scale of ~5ml or less, smallest flasks I currently have are 10ml. Could do with a good quality vacuum manifold and pressure regulator rather than relying solely on pinch-clamps, plus some more clamp stands. Although for that, all I'll do is visit a scrap metal merchant and bag a few dirt cheap blocks of iron or steel, drill holes in them and tap them on the lathe, plus pare down some stainless, preferably chrome plated steel bar on one end and cut a screw thread to match. That kind of thing, being designed specifically to be weighty and secure stuff has to be heavy and as such would be murder on the shipping. And why pay for what you can likely pick up the starting materials for a fiver or less in scrap steel and cut the threads yourself in less than a half hours work.

Definitely really pleased about that fridge w/freezer. Nice, very nice (unless you happen to be a maggot. Then again, can't be as bad as having a hook stuck up your arse then a fish sucking your guts out :P)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5842 on: May 08, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
More laundry done
Printed financial stuff from the computer
cooked/at at home 3 meals

About to wash The PR's bowling ball (by hand, not in the machine)
More laundry
Put trash and garbage out
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #5843 on: May 08, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

What does "toey" mean?  And how large is too large?  :hide:

Too large?

And Toey is a bit of a coverall term and means agitated but can mean aggressive and wanting to fight or horny and pursuing sex or stressed out and wanting to bolt.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5844 on: May 08, 2017, 10:49:52 PM »
Gravity? What gravity?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5845 on: May 09, 2017, 12:08:22 AM »
QV-well putting her bowling ball in a washing machine sounds like if done it would just be a recipe for tearing the washer to bits.

Neither bowling balls, nor her royal adorableness should be put in washing machines:P

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5846 on: May 09, 2017, 12:51:10 AM »
QV-well putting her bowling ball in a washing machine sounds like if done it would just be a recipe for tearing the washer to bits.

Neither bowling balls, nor her royal adorableness should be put in washing machines:P
Years ago when I bowled regularly, they had a ball polisher which cost $1 to use. I used it when my bowling ball got grease on it from the mechanisms at the end of the lanes. I remember it doing a pretty good job.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5847 on: May 09, 2017, 03:32:28 AM »
The way you worded that...there are SO many jokes that could be made there that I don't even have to make one. They make themselves.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5848 on: May 09, 2017, 05:58:56 AM »
Al-yes, they are venomous. ALMOST all spiders are venomous. There are a very, very few that are not. Almost without exception, all spiders are venomous, commonly enough either the venom is impotent against humans, or the fangs of the spider are too small or delicate to deliver it through human skin.

The uloboridae (which wrap their prey in silk, then secrete digestive enzymes over it whilst its still alive), a group of miniscule predatory spiders, the liphiistidae are non-venomous, these are medium to large spiders with mygalomorph type fang morphology, and are not venomous, relying on their size and physical power plus large chelicera to physically overpower their prey, quite possibly the most primitive group of all spiders, forming a sister lineage to the araneomorphs and mygalomorphs (spiders which have fangs operating in a sideways-oriented pincer-like manner, and those which have downward-pointing, stabbing fangs, such as Loxosceles, Phoneutria and Latrodectus (the recluse spiders, brazilian wandering spiders and widows) as well as common orb-weaver spiders are araneomorphs, whilst the likes of mouse spiders, funnelwebs and wishbone spiders are mygalomorphs. The sea-spiders are another matter altogether, having stabbing stylets, like a mosquito or true bug (E.g assassin bugs) whilst originally thought to be at least a member of the order Chelicerata (spiders, scorpions, harvestmen, mites, pseudoscorpions, whipscorpions, camel 'spiders' (Solifugids), they may in fact not be, and be a sister group to all other arthropods, a relic of the Ediacaran biota, having similarities to the likes of Anomalocaris, not found within any other living creature. Peculiar creatures with a much reduced body plan, so much so, that they keep parts of their digestive tracts within their legs, of all places)

The mesothelids are spiders, of a kind, but basal, very primitive creatures, with a feature found on no other spider lineage-a segmented abdomen, covered with segmented plates, suggesting that they are a sister group to the spiders and scorpions in evolutionary terms, having diverged when both spiders and scorpions were separating as distinct groups during the evolution of both.

And there is a single known species of vegetarian spider, believe it or not. Whilst occasionally it does eat animal life, in the form of ant larvae, it feeds almost exclusively on the protein-rich nutrient packages certain acacia species provide for symbiotic ant colonies, which themselves protect the acacia trees by attacking and killing invading insect species which would otherwise attack the acacias. The trees in turn, provide little orange-yellow packets of protein specifically intended as nutrients for the ant larvae as motivation, and the ants have evolved to depend upon these. The spider feeds on these packages too, being agile enough to evade the vicious ants, as its one of the jumping spiders. Thus far, it is the only known vegetarian spider.

There are one, maybe two other orders of spider similar to the Uloborids, in that they are tiny (a few mm at most) and lack venom, but otherwise all true spiders, bar these, the Uloboridae and the Mesothelids (Liphiistidae) are venomous. Being harmful to humans is another kettle of fish entirely.

As for todays good happening at chateaux de Lestat, my old man just bought me a small fridge so I can keep my volatile solvents in it, got it cheap for just £30. Strictly speaking, he wants it to keep maggots in for his fishing, but said I can use it, and told me before I even had chance to observe the fact, that most likely, I'll be the one who by far and away gets the most use out of it. Just the sort of thing I need to keep solvents that have a propensity to escape through containers, and are difficult to contain. Things like diethyl, diisopropyl ether, THF, methylene chloride, chloroform, carbon disulfide, that kind of thing. As it happened, I'd been debating whether to spend today's pay portion allocated to lab supplies on a fridge, for just that purpose (minus the maggots) or a new heating mantle w/ magnetic stirring plus some new three necked flasks. Could do with some more of those, plus now I don't need to buy a fridge (this even has a freezer, so I can run a dedicated coolant line through it circulating something like an antifreeze/alcohol mixture, or a freon-type refrigerant to run through my condenser lines plumbed through the freezer portion. Really chuffed about that. Means I can buy myself the new fritted vacuum filter funnel I wanted too. Oh boy, that'll free up quite a bit of money, for me to spend all on goodies for the lab :)

Just plotting and scheming as to exactly what I want. I've got several hundred quid to do an update for this two week period :) I can't wait to go shopping :D

First on the list I think is some potassium or sodium bromide, preferably NaBr, since the atomic weight of sodium is less than that of potassium and its a convenient storage medium (plus sometimes reagent in its own right) for the otherwise very difficult to contain bromine, which must hold one of the championship titles for most bastardly reagents of all to store, it seeps through pretty much everything and anything bar glass given the slightest of chances. So I prefer to store it as a bromide salt, needing only to pass chlorine gas through a solution of it, which replaces the bromide anion with chloride, precipitating out bromine, which is insoluble in water, bar to a very small extent (enough to color water, producing 'bromine water', which itself is useful as a titration reagent for the presence of alkenes, one can determine whether a product has an alkene double bond, to which bromine adds, forming an alkyl bromide, a dilute solution of Br2 in water decolorizes in the presence of alkenes, due to this reaction, and it can be, if the weight of the original compound is known, used to determine how many double bonds there are, or if they are present at all.

Presumably it also adds to alkynes, although I've never actually looked that up. Other than that, I'd like very much to improve my ultra-microscale setup (for working at the scale of ~5ml or less, smallest flasks I currently have are 10ml. Could do with a good quality vacuum manifold and pressure regulator rather than relying solely on pinch-clamps, plus some more clamp stands. Although for that, all I'll do is visit a scrap metal merchant and bag a few dirt cheap blocks of iron or steel, drill holes in them and tap them on the lathe, plus pare down some stainless, preferably chrome plated steel bar on one end and cut a screw thread to match. That kind of thing, being designed specifically to be weighty and secure stuff has to be heavy and as such would be murder on the shipping. And why pay for what you can likely pick up the starting materials for a fiver or less in scrap steel and cut the threads yourself in less than a half hours work.

Definitely really pleased about that fridge w/freezer. Nice, very nice (unless you happen to be a maggot. Then again, can't be as bad as having a hook stuck up your arse then a fish sucking your guts out :P)

I don't know what your educational credentials are, but I think about 100 or so years ago,
  you would have been teaching at university level.  Laura Ingalls Wilder sat for exams administered by
  members of her local school board and became qualified to teach school at age 15.  I could see
  Mr. Lestat teaching in some schoolhouse, or in some eldritch castle-like structure in Victorian times.  :toporly:

People forget.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5849 on: May 09, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
Special ed, secondary level, went to two secondaries, one for LFA/kanner's and the other for AS.

An eldritch castle sounds good, as long as the electrical supply isn't correspondingly victorian. Other than that, and  mainstream (awful) primary school that is it, I'm self-taught, I don't see how I could get into uni with the grades I got. out of all academic areas I have a really bad time with math. Always have done, and whilst I;m not completely acalculic, I;m not very far off it. I j ust about scraped by getting a gastroscopy done, and a camera stuck down my throat.