Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120102 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #5745 on: April 15, 2017, 12:51:31 AM »
Coffee happened. Slowly waking up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5746 on: April 15, 2017, 03:55:47 AM »
Finally got some of the manganese oxide dried out, after decanting most of the water, having washed it with a crapload of water to get rid of the residual potassium sulfate and caustic potash. Whilst it looked like a fair quantity, theres an awful lot less when its been cleaned up and baked dry. Left it on top of the grill, with the grill tray out of the way so as not to set the residual grease in there on fire (filled the house with smoke a time or two or three forgetting to do that before. No harm done, just fire alarm needed the reset button poking and the windows opening because the place stank of bacon and sausages etc. only burnt to a crisp.

Cleaning another batch of ore refined from batteries at the moment, I think I'll end up gutting quite a few more before I'm done, digesting the manganese dioxide in sulfuric acid and precipitating with base once the carbon has settled out, then conducting a thermite reaction to liberate the metal, using something like a strip of lithium metal poked into  the top to set it off, (like a fuse, blowtorching the end to light it and have it set off the magnesium/manganese hydroxide-oxide refined product, hopefully to be left with a lump of manganese in the crucible. Don't have enough yet, to fill one with the thermite mixture. But working on that.

And my carbon rods arrived today in the mail too (for electrodes, once I get a working power supply again)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5747 on: April 15, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »
Coffee happened. Slowly waking up.

Coffee is happening here too, along with great music.  :notes: :coffee:  :notes:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5748 on: April 15, 2017, 08:37:18 AM »
Finally got some of the manganese oxide dried out, after decanting most of the water, having washed it with a crapload of water to get rid of the residual potassium sulfate and caustic potash. Whilst it looked like a fair quantity, theres an awful lot less when its been cleaned up and baked dry. Left it on top of the grill, with the grill tray out of the way so as not to set the residual grease in there on fire (filled the house with smoke a time or two or three forgetting to do that before. No harm done, just fire alarm needed the reset button poking and the windows opening because the place stank of bacon and sausages etc. only burnt to a crisp.

Cleaning another batch of ore refined from batteries at the moment, I think I'll end up gutting quite a few more before I'm done, digesting the manganese dioxide in sulfuric acid and precipitating with base once the carbon has settled out, then conducting a thermite reaction to liberate the metal, using something like a strip of lithium metal poked into  the top to set it off, (like a fuse, blowtorching the end to light it and have it set off the magnesium/manganese hydroxide-oxide refined product, hopefully to be left with a lump of manganese in the crucible. Don't have enough yet, to fill one with the thermite mixture. But working on that.

And my carbon rods arrived today in the mail too (for electrodes, once I get a working power supply again)

I've come to realize that I don't have the patience to be a chemist, or scientist, or author or.........  I guess I'll just have to be me and just do my "whatever" thing, which is READ.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5749 on: April 15, 2017, 09:37:28 AM »
Got the fixin's for "Steve's Seafood Casserole" Easter feast.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5750 on: April 15, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »

I love casseroles, I am a feast beast!  :devour:

People forget.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5751 on: April 15, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »

I love casseroles, I am a feast beast!  :devour:

I came up with the recipe for it years ago, after much experimentation and tweaking of technique.  I certainly wouldn't do very well on "Chopped".   :laugh:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5752 on: April 15, 2017, 12:36:35 PM »

Sounds fabulous! We know the general vicinity in which you live and the intrigue abounds.
Willing to share a few of the highlights?

:drool:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5753 on: April 15, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
My daughter's very first job was today.

She "attempted" to babysit a toddler. She finally gave up on trying to nap while he was sleeping in the same bed.
She found this i'meem thing that read something like ...

Sleeping with a toddler is like wrestling with a drunk octopus, searching his pockets for his car keys,

Seems about right if I remember correctly.
 :clap:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5754 on: April 15, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
Got to see the latest installment of "Samurai Jack".......it just keeps getting more and more intriguing.  Well done story line!   

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5755 on: April 16, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
Finally got my ebay order done. The cart is fucked up somehow. I had to take two days trying, and then eventually say fuck it, and buy each individual item wanted singly.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5756 on: April 16, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »
Helped WolFish make a delicious pot roast for Easter with potatoes, carrots, little whole onions and gravy. The good part was the eating of it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5757 on: April 16, 2017, 08:22:07 PM »
Two bags of trash were put outside for placing by the kerb on Monday evening.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5758 on: April 17, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »
Helped WolFish make a delicious pot roast for Easter with potatoes, carrots, little whole onions and gravy. The good part was the eating of it.

That sounds delicious.  Any left?  :puppy:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5759 on: April 17, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »

Sounds fabulous!  We had a ham with roasted potatoes, carrots and kale from last years garden efforts (I blanch and freeze. We have two twenty five cubic foot freezers in our garage for just such or the odd hunting or fishing trip that proves fruitful)