Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120119 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #5581 on: January 07, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
Amber is slowly recovering from either a bout of food poisoning or a run in with the norovirus.  Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, stomach pain.....more likely the latter.  Finally ate some solid food without problems tonight.    OY  The experiences of the offspring bring back vivid memories for me......but, she is getting better!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5582 on: January 08, 2017, 05:29:11 AM »
Amber is slowly recovering from either a bout of food poisoning or a run in with the norovirus.  Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, stomach pain.....more likely the latter.  Finally ate some solid food without problems tonight.    OY  The experiences of the offspring bring back vivid memories for me......but, she is getting better!

I hope she will sleep well.  Sleep is a healer.  :zzz:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5583 on: January 08, 2017, 07:18:47 AM »
I sent some get well karma.

Today was my niece's 25th birthday. I got her a Spotlight gift card. My family all met on the foreshore to celebrate. It was my parents that I wanted to see the most as they live far away and I don't see them often.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5584 on: January 08, 2017, 09:12:46 AM »
Amber felt well enough to go to work today.   8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5585 on: January 09, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »
Amber felt well enough to go to work today.   8)

Go Amber!  Kick ass and make bank!  :arrr:

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #5586 on: January 09, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
  My headache is gone, thanks to the ibuprofen softgels.  8)

People forget.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5587 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
There's a Tube strike but I got back to the flat without too much trouble.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5588 on: January 09, 2017, 08:56:45 PM »
I was out from work the second half of last week, and there was an important meeting they delayed twice so I could make it. I'm better now, but I lost my voice and it's not back yet. That's not the good part, the good part is that I got to conduct my part of the meeting entirely over text chat. Accidental assistive communications!  :headbang2:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5589 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:33 PM »
Isn't it weird how you can lose your voice but still feel perfectly fine otherwise?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5590 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:52 AM »
My old man (although this was yesterday) decided to start making up his own e-juice, and got a couple of bottles of flavourings that I'd appreciate, as well as the american red tobacco flavour he sticks with, which I don't like.

Basically he got a bottle each of pure nicotine (fucking dangerous to handle, IMO, since the stuff itself won't come out of the little dropper plug-cap (like you get on essential oil bottles) its too viscous to come out at any proper rate, and some each of propylene glycol and glycerine, that way the proportions can be varied and flavours customized so one hasn't to rely on off the shelf offerings, some of which are pleasant, others, such as one he keeps getting sent free, is unusable because it is absolutely vile. Stinks and tastes worse than it smells. The only way to use that stuff, is (and he just won't touch it) if I apply a few drops of the diluted, vile tasting stuff transdermally).

The nicotine bottle, you need to lever out the dropper and use a long pipette (got plenty of those) and then mix with appropriate flavour, glycerine and propylene glycol to end up with e-liquid of chosen strength and taste. Now it means I can both make my liquid stronger than the commercial ready made offerings, he only uses I think 16mg/ml, I like mine at about 36mg/ml. And it is REALLY difficult to find anything like that, typically strongest I can find off the shelf is 24mg/ml.

The really good part though, is being able to dispense altogether with the glycerine. Decided to do that and use only propylene glycol/flavour concentrate/nicotine freebase because as it happens, I did an experiment as a kid, which involved chemical dehydration of glycerine by means of destructive distillation from anhydrous sodium or potassium bisulfate. Which dehydrates it into prop-2-ene-al, or to give it its common name, acrolein. Which is most unpleasant stuff, highly toxic, and I figured, since when the e-liquids available off the shelf get used with a powerful battery or a variable voltage/wattage one and the coil inside overheads the e-liquid, you get some really awful, caustic, choking fumes instead of pleasant flavour, and doing it just once or twice by accident means dumping the contents of the tank, and I clean it out too using something like dry isopropanol or methanol (not of course undenatured EtOH, since it is too valuable to waste, and if I were to buy mine from this country rather than eastern europe, I'd get brutally taxed half to death, never mind I (for the most part) don't plan to drink it, at least not without turning it into diethyl ether by distillation from fuming sulfuric acid [yes, obviously one doesn't drink it mixed with 98-99% H2SO4. At least, thats something you'd only be capable of doing once before dying slowly and horribly:P])

So I figured the glycerine is probably undergoing thermal cracking and dehydration to the enal, in the heating element of the e-cig. I'd know that godawful teargas for its stench and choking, burning vicious nature anywhere, after encountering it once.

And I am pretty sure that having glycerine in those e-liquids is NOT a good thing, and since people turn to them often as an alternative to carcinogenic tobacco...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrolein

Read THAT and tell me you want to breathe it in. I'd be shocked if over time, in fact, the acrolein produced by overheating of glycerine in e-liquids isn't carcinogenic as hell. And if you'd encountered even one milliliter of pure acrolein, you'd never, ever want to encounter it again. Not without either a GOOD quality gas mask on and full face protection. Wouldn't want the stuff coming anywhere near my skin either. I made the mistake, after the experiment that involved it as a nipper, of pouring a surplus 0.5-1ml or so down the sink and flushing it with water. Turned the tap the wrong way, and hot, not cold water came out. The result was....painful to say the least, from the virulent cloud of..well teargas is accurate enough a description, only unlike most teargases, riot control agents aren't intended to be so damn toxic. The likes of pepper spray are mostly harmless, and military grade riot agents/tear gases/choking type chemical warfare agents are somewhat nastier, but not THAT nasty.

So I made up some e-liquid with propylene glycol as the diluent for the nicotine only, flavour, and no glycerine at all, and the resulting product is worlds better. No horrid choking fumes, even when I use the e-cig at its highest output settings. Previously I had to quickly press the on switch, on-off, on-off lather, rinse repeat to avoid overheating the glycerine content and resulting in acrolein production. Especially nasty if you don't notice the tank needs a refill  and there is only a tiny amount of liquid left, which burns and leaves you coughing and choking and tearing up.

Now all I need do, to produce a product which should be ideal for my liking, is to replicate the reinforcing effect present in tobacco smoke, due to traces of MAOI (monoamine oxidase inhibitor) beta-carboline alkaloids, such as traces of harmine and hamaline, which as it happens, are, along with tetrahydroharmine, present in yage vine, which is used for making the psychedelic drug n,n-DMT (dimethyltryptamine) active orally, where otherwise, like serotonin, due to its close similarity (serotonin lacks the methyl groups on the sidechain amino nitrogen and has a hydroxyl moiety present on the 5' carbon of the phenyl half of the indole ring) so MAO-a chews up DMT and spits it out.

Ayahuasca is a traditional brew from the amazon basin region used as a ritual hallucinogen, and whilst individual recipes are as varied as the curanderos who prepare it, every shaman having his own proprietary blend of plants and admixtures more or less, the core is a beta-carboline MAO(a)I to prevent the degradation of the DMT, again sourced from various other plants. All I need do, is obtain a little yage vine, not difficult, in fact I might even be able to obtain a living cutting from a yage plant from someone I talk to if I offer suitable inducements for a rooted, little live plant, and in the meantime, buy a section of the vine of souls, and do an extraction, then add a little of the resulting beta-carboline MAOI mixture, so that the e-liquid then becomes, pharmacologically speaking, much closer and more reinforcing, like tobacco is. And ergo much more enjoyable. Since e-liquids use synthetic nicotine, the MAOIs aren't present and compared to smoking tobacco it is..well...distinctly 'missing' something. So not quite a proper substitute for the real thing.

Just a bit of better living through chemistry, and a little botanical alchemy for a project the next time I'm thirsting for something to do in the lab and haven't the time for anything truly interesting, but which will have a most useful result :)
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5591 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Computers are curious beasts, fun, enlightening, and such.  Then again down right frustrating and weird.  This morning I couldn't sign out of my gmail.  For some weird reason, I clicked a bunch of icons that looked promising, rebooted the beast. nothing worked.   Decided to go back to bed and get some more sleep and deal with it later.  So on the off chance that it was a wireless mouse battery problem, changed the batteries and clicked on some more icons.....nothing.  So I call the computer technician who built our more recent beast update and while I am calling......you guessed it......I was able to log out from gmail.   :facepalm2:

Now it's working fine!   :apondering:  Why, I'll never know!    :P

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5592 on: January 10, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »
Isn't it obvious? it was waiting and listening in along the phone lines for the words 'hello, how may I help you' :P

Although, if there was any connection between the broadband and the (non-VOIP) actual phone line signal used to talk, and give infuriating spammers a jolly good effort at stirring a metaphorical turd into their coffee pot for their next coffee break, then I would guess that, were there in actual fact any connection between the two, that would have to be due to the filter on the line that separates the phone carrier from the broadband signal. Not suggesting that is the case mind you, it is most probably not.

Just struck me as funny, a computer going tits up, just so it can listen in on the tech support call to decide to start working again.

And then probably saying 'fuck it, lets annoy this little meatcreature some more now they are off the phone':P

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5593 on: January 10, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
My something good, is having JUST enough money left to spend upon two reagents of which I am in need for a project.  Thought I'd not enough, doing the conversions from euros, rechecked it and I did have enough, down to the last £0.87 left over in change.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5594 on: January 10, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
Got a free extra coffee this morning when another regular didn't want coffee today and they had already made his when he walked in the door
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw