Educational

Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120090 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #5115 on: August 03, 2016, 06:12:24 PM »
My paper was well received. :)
Well done to you too! Do you get nervous at all?
:plus:

I was a bit of a wreck immediately before, but once I got going I calmed down. Nerves are a good thing, though. They make you sharper.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5116 on: August 03, 2016, 06:17:46 PM »
My voice goes funny when I present which I don't like at all!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5117 on: August 03, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
You need to practise, then practise again and finally practise some more. It helps, I promise you. If you know what you are presenting, there is one less thing to worry about and you can act more confident on stage--yes, it's an act. Always remember that everyone in the audience listens to you while thinking "glad it isn't me", even the ones who are natural presenters.

And make sure you include laughs and pauses. Make sure that if your presentation is over 10 minutes, deliberately slow down, make a diversion of sorts, and pause after nine or so--this is something that experienced presenters know through experience, but I'm sure there is psychology to support it.

If you know about drama structure, apply that to your presentation--regardless of what people say, you are performing for an audience and your first goal is to entertain. Only then can you inform.

And finally, try to enjoy the experience. It's kind of cool to have the attention of 300 people for half an hour. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5118 on: August 03, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »
That's great advice, thank you. I always try to include humour in my talks because when people laugh, I relax more, if that makes sense.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5119 on: August 03, 2016, 09:21:48 PM »
No problem. :)

I like presenting and I hate it. I tend to wonder why I bother, right before, considering it's really stressful, and then I go through it and it's a great experience.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #5120 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:20 PM »
Got my doc to increase my chlormethiazole by 1x192mg capsule per day, so I am taking it 3x/d, for seizure control, and hes now considering my repeated begging for memantine.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #5121 on: August 04, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Smashed some old useless hard drives....very therapeutic! 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5122 on: August 04, 2016, 01:29:15 PM »
Got any use for the magnets? if you don't then Lestat would have, if you'd be willing to part with them.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5123 on: August 04, 2016, 01:30:31 PM »
I'll see what I find in the debris!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5124 on: August 04, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »
Got any use for the magnets? if you don't then Lestat would have, if you'd be willing to part with them.

To be honest with you, I am a bit of a magnet freak collector...however......I would be more than willing to send them to you.  But, I have to research this.  If memory serves, the United States Postal Service has a bit of a problem with sending STRONG magnets thru the mail here.  And I must admit they are VERY strong.  I'll let you know what I find out.   If anybody out there has advice or greater knowledge, I would love to hear it.  I couldn't even separate them from their metal supports.   :o

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5125 on: August 04, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »
Got some nice feedback following my talk yesterday.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5126 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:27 PM »
Well no need to separate them from their backing plate. Actually I'm after the rare earth metals that are used to make the things, because theres something I've been wanting to try, called  adiabatic nuclear demagnetization, this is where certain metal alloys that exhibit a very high magnetocaloric effect, or paramagnetic mineral salts can be introduced to a reasonably powerful magnetic field (IIRC the lower threshold is somewhere in the region of 2 Tesla, allowed to heat up, cooled down whilst in the magnetic field, and then moved to an adiabatic environment, then slowly demagnetized.

The result is a powerful cooling effect. It seems paradoxical, but it works  by taking advantage of entropy level limitations, whilst removing entropy from the system and disallowing it to increase, so when the magnetic flux ceases and the magnetocaloric alloy/paramagnetic salt is isolated from the rest of the environment, it cools down, and very strongly too. With sufficient magnetic flux strength and proper cooling, the system is capable of reaching temperatures a fraction of a degree kelvin above absolute zero. Now don't get me wrong, I'd not be at all unhappy with a simply decent cryostat, but being able to produce my own liquid nitrogen, liquid oxygen via fractional distillation of air, and liquify pre-dried chlorine gas for storage in cylinders, so as to allow me to simply turn on a tap when I want Cl2 rather than fuck about with gas generators, electrolysis etc. and have to run the result through drying tubes, as well as store anhydrous ammonia and liqufied SO2, nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide, nitrous oxide and N2O4..

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #5127 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:58 PM »
I'll ride you all the way down.  :eyebrows:

:orly:

One thing I love about gophers is that always find the "lower" ground. ;)

OF course, they also make amazing target practice. Not to waste the produce of such action, one can use them to bait coyotes, which can lead to a ransom paid in dollars for dispatching those dangerous critters.
 :lol1:

(Que the Metallica tune, "Sad But True" just to ease and/or enjoy the pain.)

Sorry, GG, but my life sucks mostly as well.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5128 on: August 06, 2016, 06:46:55 PM »
Had a nice afternoon in Washington DC.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5129 on: August 09, 2016, 04:04:58 AM »
Took a computer apart and put it back together by myself.
Tek'ma'tae