Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120113 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #4980 on: May 30, 2016, 11:49:24 AM »
iced tea
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #4981 on: May 30, 2016, 01:31:56 PM »

Had the day off and spent it recovering from the race.

Fucking amazing race in general, but a ROOKIE won the race. It was the first time since 2001 that a first timer won. Now he had help, car owner was Michael Andretti (famous name here at Indy) and the team owner was Brian Herta (famous name, old experienced driver here at Indy). That is quite a bit of help!

Great race!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4982 on: May 30, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »
I had rented a flat that is a 15-minute walk from the tube station but due to repairs they gave me one that is a 5-minute walk from it instead. My feet are thankful.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4983 on: May 30, 2016, 03:37:21 PM »
while sorting out stuff and organizing I found some things lost a long time
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4984 on: May 30, 2016, 03:40:02 PM »
while sorting out stuff and organizing I found some things lost a long time

I love it when that happens.  I wish it happened more often.  :autism:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4985 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:41 PM »

I made a really fabulous pork loin for dinner.
It was a co-operational effort with my dear wife. I started the loin on the grille outside, seared it quickly, then removed it from the direct heat and smoked it slowly using maple wood that I cut down last summer. After about and hour of smoke, I wrapped it up in foil and brought it inside to finish cooking in the oven at low heat for about another hour.

Toward the end of cooking I made some fresh grilled corn on the cob with the last of the coals, while my wife made mashed potatoes and used some of the juice from the pork to make gravy atop the stove. When I took the loin out to rest before we sliced it, she put some crescent rolls into the oven.

It was a wonderful meal.
 :2thumbsup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4986 on: May 31, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »

It was a co-operational effort with my dear wife. I started the loin on the grille outside, seared it quickly, then removed it from the direct heat and smoked it slowly using maple wood that I cut down last summer. After about and hour of smoke, I wrapped it up in foil and brought it inside to finish cooking in the oven at low heat for about another hour.

Toward the end of cooking I made some fresh grilled corn on the cob with the last of the coals, while my wife made mashed potatoes and used some of the juice from the pork to make gravy atop the stove. When I took the loin out to rest before we sliced it, she put some crescent rolls into the oven.

It was a wonderful meal.

Were there any leftovers?  :puppy:

People forget.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4987 on: June 01, 2016, 02:08:23 PM »

It was a wonderful meal.

Were there any leftovers?  :puppy:

Well, it was a nine pound loin roast. We ravaged on it quite a bit and there was little of the "fixin's' " left, but yesterday my wife and daughter  "pulled"  all the meat into slivers and put it in a pan with MUCH barbeque sauce and simmered it again for a bit, making the way for "loose meat"  sandwiches which we had for lunch. The left overs from that meal I finished for lunch today. (EDIT: Oops, I forgot to add that last meal to the total of human meals we had from that fabulous loin. I had it after I came from work and it "balanced" the total of the loin)

So, If we are counting:  A fifteen dollar pork loin fed our family a great feast (four human meals- one of whom reminds us of Chewbacca and he eats like a wookie might- my adorable son, maybe add twelve dollars for all the fixin's) and the left overs from that piece of meat fed us again (four more human meals, maybe another six bucks for those fixin's  half a bottle of BBQ sauce, a quarter thing of deli bought potato salad and some buns) and the remaining fed the two adults one more time using the other left overs as well (two more human meals).  So with thirty three bucks, rounded up to be conservative, we fed ourselves ten human meals of very high quality EATS.

I do not think there is any way to even approach that with fast food. You would have to give up quality to begin, for instance.
Of course I should probably add the cost of maintaining a working kitchen to that score, but I would keep my kitchen clean and ready and my pantry full of "bounty" anyway, even if I WAS trying to impress with cost savings of doing it all for yourself.

:cbc:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 02:15:43 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4988 on: June 01, 2016, 07:08:31 PM »
Rum raisin ice cream
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4989 on: June 02, 2016, 01:57:01 PM »
yesterday i found free wood hangers on the way home. really good because plastic coat hangers suck. today i found another four leaf clover. this was in a supermarket parking lot with a lot less clover. wanted to see if the strategy worked. found only one.

but also on the way there i found dozens of snails and maybe have a video of one eating. also got to eat lunch with py (we had indian, not escargot).
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4990 on: June 02, 2016, 10:44:17 PM »
pineapple, kiwi and raspberries

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #4991 on: June 02, 2016, 10:58:33 PM »
pineapple, kiwi and raspberries

Those colors make like a fruity version of succotash.  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4992 on: June 03, 2016, 05:41:34 AM »
I did well on my Occupational Health and Safety test. Got the results today. And I have passed all my assignments so far.

And technically it was yesterday.....but I passed my router installation and security test too.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4993 on: June 03, 2016, 05:43:31 AM »
I did well on my Occupational Health and Safety test. Got the results today. And I have passed all my assignments so far.

And technically it was yesterday.....but I passed my router installation and security test too.

You're inspiring me!  I want to take tests and get certifications too!  :viking:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4994 on: June 03, 2016, 05:56:03 AM »

You're inspiring me!  I want to take tests and get certifications too!  :viking:
It's been not too bad! I have had a lot of assignments but they have all been pretty small and so I have been able to do them without too much fuss.

Do they do night classes where you are?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae