Author Topic: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two  (Read 120124 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post something good that happened today, Parts Two
« Reply #2550 on: October 29, 2013, 11:55:10 PM »
^Sounds like a good thing indeed.

Yesterday's good thing turned out to be last night's lost sleep. I've been mulling over it all night.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2551 on: October 30, 2013, 12:12:01 AM »
^Sounds like a good thing indeed.

Yesterday's good thing turned out to be last night's lost sleep. I've been mulling over it all night.

Yesterday's good thing wasn't home-cooked sweet and sour beef for you?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2552 on: October 30, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
It was us suing the builder. Go back a few posts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2553 on: October 30, 2013, 12:20:17 AM »
You can't get sleepless for that. What would Caesar have done? He would have crucified the builder and then slept good all night!  :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr: :arrr:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2554 on: October 30, 2013, 12:31:24 AM »
And I wouldn't mind that solution, except that we still need to fix the problems that resulted from his ineptness. It all costs money.

I'd be happy to crucify him after the trial.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2555 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »
This morning, the youngest was back to full bouncy mode. After a week of no bouncing at all.
Her voice still sounds as if she has been drinking and smoking all night. That's not a problem.
She's back to school. Not by bike though. I would not let her, she lost too much weight and general fitness to do that today.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2556 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:30 AM »
This also means that I am having a few hours alone, for the first time in a fortnight.  :hyke:

Not too many hours though, appointments and obligations. :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2557 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:43 AM »
Apparently DFGL has trouble accessing the site. :zoinks:

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2558 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
My brother has a new bottle of vinum for me  8)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2559 on: November 11, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
I checked what I thought was a crappy silver plated candle holder and discovered it's sterling.  Odd as the color is off as is the feel of it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2560 on: November 11, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »
Coffee happened.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2561 on: November 12, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »
I checked what I thought was a crappy silver plated candle holder and discovered it's sterling.  Odd as the color is off as is the feel of it

When silver has that bluish tarnish on it?  Does it affect the value of the silver if the item is merely sold for the silver value? 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2562 on: November 12, 2013, 09:46:16 PM »

I got to walk out on the boss as he was praising me for being so loyal an employee and really wanted to see me step up.

One of the full timers had called off work on a VERY BIG work day and he was praising my loyalty (FFS?) and asked me to stay and cover his shift. I just shook my head and asked if was seriously expecting me to fall for that kind of weak shit.

:wanker:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2563 on: November 12, 2013, 09:52:20 PM »

When silver has that bluish tarnish on it?  Does it affect the value of the silver if the item is merely sold for the silver value?

Hell no!

Bluish silver; no problem! Seriously the actual color of the patina being a way to determine the purity of the silver, is NOT a problem to the knowing.  IN fact those who know how to buy silver know a lot about how the color and depth and stability of the patina reflects quality.

A fresh polish is always a problem when determining the purity, unless you are able to take a scraping from an unexposed area (if you are not allowed, as a buyer= red flag!!) and use chemicals to assess its purity.

My dad used to do silver plating on musical instruments and he had to have a high purity (sterling at .92 fine was common fake silver!  He had to use 0.975 fine, at least) in the bars he bought to use as anodes in his process. (impure bars such as "sterling" meant a spotty plating which always had "weak spots"  in the plating. Everything got a slight (half a micron or so) copper flashing to begin, then a nickel flashing (about the same as the copper) to make it more durable, then the actual silver coating).

He had three acids he used (sorry, but chromic, nitric and I can not remember the third) to make sure he was buying the product that would meet the needs of his plating requirements. He could look at an old piece and say that it was good or not so good, by the patina. He knew his shit.

Once the plating process was complete, he would reverse the polarity of the system, agitating the bath overnight and reclaim the silver lost in the acid bath, as it built up on a disposable copper cathode and sell it back to a recycler.

Along in the seventies (with many other techs) he began using a super fast flash of Rhodium (little more expensive, but worth it) to extend the "shininess" of his silver plate jobs. Rhodium made the silver hold its color and shine and you could not actually tell a difference in Rh plated silver and just plain silver, but the Rh plated silver lasted better in the dirty hands of kids who do not take good care of their instruments.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:31:06 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2564 on: November 13, 2013, 05:37:30 PM »
finally got the clothes dryer fixed. saved us major bucks and got a new multimeter out of it.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher