Author Topic: Irrigate spongy  (Read 14756 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Interrogate spongy
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2011, 06:03:16 AM »
Sir Les, you left me out. I'm hurt.

I dont think that it would be ethical to post it considering that some members have been banned in the past for posting pm exchanges with mods elsewhere.

Is this a practise that continues? You do know that was WRONG of those particular mods to do right? The rules and the TOS don't apply outside of WP. While you think it's unethical and a breach of that person's trust, it's NOT AGAINST THE RULES!!

Allow me to introduce you to a four letter term that I absolutely abhor; DMCA.

Technically, posting material from WP here is a violation of the DMCA and could result in a takedown notice. It would be a bullshit takedown notice, but the site could still be taken down - speaking from experience here, one of AFF's former members, Timelard, got buttdevastated when he was banned and pulled a DMCA to try and force us to remove his posts.

They're still there, by the way.

Who holds the copyright to a WP post?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2011, 06:08:48 AM »

I dont think that it would be ethical to post it considering that some members have been banned in the past for posting pm exchanges with mods elsewhere.

Is this a practise that continues? You do know that was WRONG of those particular mods to do right? The rules and the TOS don't apply outside of WP. While you think it's unethical and a breach of that person's trust, it's NOT AGAINST THE RULES!!

Technically, posting material from WP here is a violation of the DMCA and could result in a takedown notice. It would be a bullshit takedown notice, but the site could still be taken down - speaking from experience here, one of AFF's former members, Timelard, got buttdevastated when he was banned and pulled a DMCA to try and force us to remove his posts.

Fuck me...you and Jack. I am fucking useless.

Sorry guys.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

eris

« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
Oh btw spongy,  threads sometimes go off in a different direction here

it is quite common

Sometimes when i'm really bored, and have nothing to do (Like sit in a waiting room with no laptop) I like to translate things into pig latin in my head and sing little tunes to myself of the prime numbers. I once successfully turned the outcome of a drug deal into a binomial.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »

If WP's TOS is legally binding and I'm reading it correctly, Alex does:

Rights
----------------------
WrongPlanet.net reserves full rights to information and content posted anywhere within the
wrongplanet.net domain by any of its visitors, members, and staff.

By posting to the forums, or any other sections of this site, you signify agreement that you
are giving WrongPlanet permission to use, modify, and reproduce your submission, in part or
in whole, in any way, shape, form, or method in which we decide to do so, at any point in
the present or future at our discretion.

Any and all information posted on WrongPlanet.net may not be copied or used elsewhere, in
any way, shape, or form, either on the Internet or in print without express written consent
of an owner of WrongPlanet.net.

Enforcement of Copyright
----------------------
WrongPlanet will enforce its copyright. If we become aware of a user's violation of the
copyright, a note will be sent to that user requesting the user to remove the infringement
from that individual's or company's website or other place of publication. If the user or
organization does not comply with this request, access to WrongPlanet may be revoked and
WrongPlanet may send the infringing individual or organization a desist letter. If the
individual or organization does not comply with the cease and desist letter, we will
consider taking legal action.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2011, 06:16:34 AM »
That includes the forum posts? Or just the main site?

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:03 AM »

That's where it confuses me, considering this statement:

Any and all information posted on WrongPlanet.net may not be copied or used elsewhere, in
any way, shape, or form, either on the Internet or in print without express written consent

Considering the forum is on the same domain name mentioned, yeah I don't quite know if it applies to it or not, or if it needs to be specified.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:30 AM »

If WP's TOS is legally binding and I'm reading it correctly, Alex does:

Rights
----------------------
WrongPlanet.net reserves full rights to information and content posted anywhere within the
wrongplanet.net domain by any of its visitors, members, and staff.

By posting to the forums, or any other sections of this site, you signify agreement that you
are giving WrongPlanet permission to use, modify, and reproduce your submission, in part or
in whole, in any way, shape, form, or method in which we decide to do so, at any point in
the present or future at our discretion.

Enforcement of Copyright
----------------------
WrongPlanet will enforce its copyright. If we become aware of a user's violation of the
copyright, a note will be sent to that user requesting the user to remove the infringement
from that individual's or company's website or other place of publication. If the user or
organization does not comply with this request, access to WrongPlanet may be revoked and
WrongPlanet may send the infringing individual or organization a desist letter. If the
individual or organization does not comply with the cease and desist letter, we will
consider taking legal action.

Not the same thing. Claiming that you have copyright is not the same as actually having it.

My guess is that he'd only be able to enforce the main site copyright.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »
Spongy. Imagine the perfect date.
Does the end result involve you kissing her hand gently and gracefully declining her offer for "coffee"?

OR

Exhausted and spent in a tangle of arms, legs and tails as after you have dressed as furries and rutted like cats?

Do you have a special someone? Do they drink coffee? Do they have a cat suit?
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:32 AM »
Not the same thing. Claiming that you have copyright is not the same as actually having it.

That's what I figured, as I'm sure a legal defence would argue that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #144 on: October 13, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
If what he said was generally true, teh interwebs would have to be shut down. Material is quoted and requoted all the time, and besides, a casual visitor would not necessarily ever be faced with the copyright text if following a link from elsewhere. There is also the question of fair use, proving copyright, etc.

- Albert Einstein

eris

« Reply #145 on: October 13, 2011, 06:29:57 AM »
The art school I went to after high school had similar fine print, saying they owned everything you made when you were there. And they did. Lots of people got pissed and quit. That's a bit different maybe.

Offline V

• Good Twin of the WP Modfag of the Aspie Elite
  • Constant Poster
  • _________(feel free to fill the blanks)
« Reply #146 on: October 13, 2011, 06:36:48 AM »
Well Ive noticed that I missed a few comments due to the amount of activity this thread has had, its nothing personal, just that Ive been unable to keep up with all youve written.

First off thanks to those that tried to help me but it has already been pointed out to me that I dont need to answer every question and if I think someone is  offensive towards me/attacking me I can just ignore their questions. Having said that I´d like to take this as an opportunity to develop a better way of standing  up for myself so feel free to be as offensive as you wish and I´ll try my best to find a suitable answer to your questions.

I have no issue with the popcorn, provided that the member in question shares it.

English_Practicioneer Sorry I missed your question about where I was from(truly am since she is one of the few that tried to talk things instead of making assumptions on what I was saying on fb)

Jack dont worry you werent the only one that was unable to keep up with what was going on(I was sending posts and receiving notices about 3 more posts being submitted)

MidLifeAspie I have no issue not being a mod here and Im actually getting tired of members just following what I say without questioning anything(not an open invitation to start refusing to listen to what I say but I dont mind a bit of arguing about what would be best for a situation…). Not sure about the exchange rate between dollars and ego, maybe you could help me with that one☺.

Psycho-Madman: again not offended by popcorn just thought that my time was best spent trying to sort things with MLA instead of telling you I wasnt mad at you.

As stated yesterday on another thread when we were discussing giving a second chance to members that were unreasonably banned I dont agree with alex on every aspect and if he feels the need to demod me because of this he is more than free to do so.

Jack feel free to call me whatever nickname you wish

Eris glad to hear that people will eventually move on from this.

Sinnocent same way some of you have questioned my intentions/ego/whatever there are some people that believe that everyone at I^2 is mean.(Having said that I dont have an issue with you or any member that behaves properly at both sites)

Oddball feel free to approach me if you ever run into any more trouble at wp.
Al Swearengen every site can be improved and its clear that wp´s current policy is a bit flawed to say the least and suggestions are more than welcome(as long as they are constructive and something we can work on, ie not controlled by alex)
English_Privateer Ive been a member on several as sites before joining wp and a member at wp for over a year, Im used to threads being derailed.

Al Swearengen Dont have a special someone at the moment(have a thing for lost causes online and apparently on relationships as well, been trying to work on that)
On an ideal world option 2 seems more logical, dont think the drumroll(himym refference just in case)makes much sense

I know that this is a bit messy but I dont have much time to fix it right now.
"I love that DSM-V is acknowledging sensory issues by including it in the diagnostic criteria. However, I would like to propose to DSM that a new one be included called "DKSA" (aka "Dont' Know Shit about Aspergers")" Rudy Simone

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2011, 06:39:07 AM »
If what he said was generally true, teh interwebs would have to be shut down. Material is quoted and requoted all the time, and besides, a casual visitor would not necessarily ever be faced with the copyright text if following a link from elsewhere. There is also the question of fair use, proving copyright, etc.

But here's another interesting question, doesn't claiming copyright of the contents of one's post, mean you must accept the liabilities that come with that said post, like if it's libel for instance? If so, wouldn't that allow someone to sue Alex for a comment made by a user, as it copyright is owned by the site owner instead of the user.

Heh, and it seems to contradict the responsibilities section of the TOS too:

Responsibilities
----------------------
As a registered member, you are held solely and personally responsible for any libelous,
defamatory, or slanderous remarks about a person or company made in your posts.

How can one be held legally responsible for something that's no longer theirs to own? If anything the site claims responsibility the moment they declare ownership or copyright over it as far as I'm concerned. I'm no lawyer though.

So yeah, it makes no sense.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2011, 06:40:11 AM »
Spongy. Imagine the perfect date.
Does the end result involve you kissing her hand gently and gracefully declining her offer for "coffee"?

OR

Exhausted and spent in a tangle of arms, legs and tails as after you have dressed as furries and rutted like cats?

Do you have a special someone? Do they drink coffee? Do they have a cat suit?

Having known people who probably would do that , the bolded part caused me to LOL.

:rofl:  :plus:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #149 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:27 AM »

But here's another interesting question, doesn't claiming copyright of the contents of one's post, mean you must accept the liabilities that come with that said post, like if it's libel for instance? If so, wouldn't that allow someone to sue Alex for a comment made by a user, as it copyright is owned by the site owner instead of the user.

Oh yes, it follows. :laugh:

Heh, and it seems to contradict the responsibilities section of the TOS too:

Responsibilities
----------------------
As a registered member, you are held solely and personally responsible for any libelous,
defamatory, or slanderous remarks about a person or company made in your posts.

How can one be held legally responsible for something that's no longer theirs to own? If anything the site claims responsibility the moment they declare ownership or copyright over it as far as I'm concerned. I'm no lawyer though.

So yeah, it makes no sense.

Alex wants the upsides but not the downsides. Unfortunately he can't have it both was.

:plus: for the research.

- Albert Einstein