Author Topic: OMFG Steve has totally flipped  (Read 20890 times)

eris

Re: OMFG Steve has totally flipped
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:48 AM »
Well i am sure that each case is individual, but in general chemical imbalances do not correct on their own and if there is no epiphany, i dont see how a chemically proven mental illness can improve.  It can be ignored, and life situations can mask it, but it's not just going to get better on it's own.

Personality disorders are basically just a series of "bad" personality traits, and your personality gets fixed in your early 20s and it is very very hard to change that.

PD's are more about the way that you are wired, and while symptoms like depression and anxiety can be treated with medicine, the PD can only be treated with therapy and basically changing your outlooks on things.

Often, taking medicine totally takes the problem away for chemically-proven mental illnesses, medication often does nothing for PDs. 

Binty

« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:57 AM »
Not the case with my father.

Or my mother.

Often, taking medicine totally takes the problem away for chemically-proven mental illnesses, medication often does nothing for PDs. 

I disagree; I think medication helped me as it mellows me out somewhat.  Without it, I get too caught up with my emotions and they dominate me.  The meds I'm on right now help me step back a bit and evaluate my thoughts.

eris

« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2011, 06:54:30 AM »
Not the case with my father.

Or my mother.

I disagree; I think medication helped me as it mellows me out somewhat.  Without it, I get too caught up with my emotions and they dominate me.  The meds I'm on right now help me step back a bit and evaluate my thoughts.

yes, symptoms can be treated. Especially mood stabilizers help, it will mellow you out. Also there is new research that beta blockers can ease symptoms.

but those are just the symptoms of the PD, the problem itself cannot be , erm, corrected, with meds. That only happens with changing the way you think about stuff - something I have a hard time with.

Binty

« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2011, 06:55:26 AM »
That's true.

eris

« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2011, 06:57:21 AM »
I'm not a psychologist or anything btw, but I took a few classes at college and I did a ridiculous amount of research on my own about personality disorders, as me and about everyone in my life has one.

Offline PuppetSockPenguin

• Superlurker of the penguin elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • experience is memory is experience is
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »
Not blanket banned on WP yet :-\

Neither have I, five years and going strong in my case. :orly:

I've been there since 2005 and not banned.

I got spoken to once for a flame war one day with Postperson, but that wasn't even a formal warning.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »

I got spoken to once for a flame war one day with Postperson, but that wasn't even a formal warning.

I've never received any official warnings either, although Lau sort of told me off once for swearing, but that was fair enough as I was evading the wordfilter.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
I have Avoidant PD but no others, although I do score a bit highly on schizoid, not enough for a dx

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »

I have been there that long also. I also use an email that is from this site :2thumbsup:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »

I've never received any official warnings either, although Lau sort of told me off once for swearing, but that was fair enough as I was evading the wordfilter.

Wordfilters are stupid if everyone knows what you mean anyway.
I own a book that contains a conversation between a person and a chatroom moderator who is telling him to put asterisks in the middle portion of his swearwords, e.g. "f*ck", "c*nt". He asks why the presence of the extra letters pushes the words into offensiveness, and ends up illustrating his point by calling another  participant a "wily *other*ucker".

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:56 AM »
I dunno, it could be fun calling someone a s****b, they'll be wondering what the fuck is that swear word? When in reality, you just made shit up. Asterisks can be strangely empowering it seems.

Or better yet, you write y*** entire posts w*** asterisks, and make them think the w***f***** is fucking up. :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

eris

« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2011, 09:33:09 AM »
There is a sex addiction form I have lurked at, and it has only one word filter.

slut = friendly

:D

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2011, 09:34:33 AM »
Well a classic one was on ZOMG, I think hello was replaced with "Wanna Cyber?" :laugh:

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
Thanks a lot; now I'm going to postpone my bedtime even longer by searching for words that start with s, end with b and have four letters in between.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=s%3F%3F%3F%3Fb&ls=a

I quite like the academic world's way of insulting: "my esteemed colleague" = "that moron".

If you were really bored you could make up an entire asterisk/letter code that looked like it might say one thing but actually said something completely different.

I remember the ZOMG word filter; there should be more like it.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:01 AM »
I like ridiculously verbose humour when it comes to insults too:

"My kind but disgruntled sir, you seem to have a rather large extrusion of wood shaped like a pool cue, penetrating the insides of your abdominal cavity via the rectal entrance. May I suggest sir, that you hastily seek assistance to have someone assist you in remove this said item, as I'm sure the pain must explain your rather impolite sentiment."