Author Topic: “invisibility cloak.”  (Read 1225 times)

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
“invisibility cloak.”
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Have you ever driven down a long highway on a hot day and seen something disappear in the distance only as you get closer? Well, it was likely a mirage, and those tricky instances have tempted and tortured more than one lone wanderer in the desert.

Now, a team of researchers at the University of Dallas in Texas have taken advantage of the mirage to create an “invisibility cloak.” The cloak is said to have the ability to hide objects from one’s view. It is also claimed to work best underwater and has an instant “on” and “off” function.

How did they use the mirage? Well, first you must have a basic understanding of how a mirage works. A mirage takes place when there is a big difference in temperature over a small distance which bends light rays. These rays are seen by the eye rather than bouncing off the surface. For example, if you are in a desert and you see a pool of blue water, you are only seeing the blue sky being redirected from the warm ground into your eyes.

The researchers wanted to find a material that can conduct heat and transfer it very fast to its surrounding areas to imitate the mirage effect. They discovered that carbon nanotubes were excellent materials. The nanotubes quickly heat to high temperatures through electrical stimulation and transfer heat to their surroundings, bending the light rays away from the object hidden behind the device. Thus, the object is able to “disappear.” Sounds a bit like how Polar bear fur works.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/10/06/real...ge-effect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Military getting infrared invisibility cloak:

This is positively astounding technology if it really does work. For centuries, mankind has been dreaming of the day when they can have an invisibility cloak and, well, this is pretty darn close. It’s called Adaptiv and it’s a technology developed by BAE.

Basically, your tanks and other vehicles are wrapped up in these hexagon-shaped panels. The vehicle also has 360-degree cameras that capture the surroundings in real time. The panels then act as a skin, mimicing not only the visual, but also the temperature information of the surrounding area. In effect, it blends into the background… but only at night and only when someone is looking at you with infrared.

Infrared is used pretty much universally for night missions in the military, so this could be a very viable solution for a true stealth attack (or patrol or whatever else). What’s cool is that Adaptiv can be used to cloak, sure, but it can also be used to disguise one vehicle as something else. That scary tank could turn into a civilian Jeep in the eyes of the infrared-viewing enemy.

The individual panels can be replaced as they are damaged too, making this solution much more cost-effective than one where the whole body has to be replaced. Nifty stuff.

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/09/07/mili...ity-cloak/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: “invisibility cloak.”
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:23 PM »
I've always wanted to be invisible. :thumbup:

Osensitive1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »
Jack usually doesn't mind being invisible.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
Yup I think I could handle being invisible
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:55 AM »
Same here. I definitely don't want Medusa to turn me into stone.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:42:04 AM »
There are days when I am completely invisible. Sucks when you want to be helped in a store. Otherwise, it is very convenient.   :cbc:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 07:46:28 AM »
Start putting stuff in your pockets and they will notice you really quickly
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

midlifeaspie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:51:13 AM »
Works best underwater?  How useful.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 12:53:26 PM »

A significant amount of warfare and covert operations are conducted underwater.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
That sounds amazing technology.  I know you said 'best underwater'
but does it work well anywhere else?
blah blah blah

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 01:23:34 PM »

i could tolerate throwing eggs at the back of peoples heads and not being seen when they turn around

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

midlifeaspie

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 01:38:43 PM »

A significant amount of warfare and covert operations are conducted underwater.

True, but this thing sounds like it obscures visible light, not active sonar.  How much use is visible light in an underwater setting?

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
When they figure out a way to make fat invisible, then you've got an invention/discovery.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »
When they figure out a way to make fat invisible, then you've got an invention/discovery.

they have three inventions for said problem. girdles, corsets and exercise

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 07:45:01 PM »

they have three inventions for said problem. girdles, corsets and exercise

Let me know how you feel when you've worn a girdle for 20 hours.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: