Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157588 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #1560 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »
Worked. Sort of. That is, I was there. Some days should just be skipped.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1561 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »
 :agreed:

Store stuff. Volunteer drama. Just lost two of my regulars and one was a trainer.  :GA:
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1562 on: May 30, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
As little as possible.  Turned the central A/C up to 77F, 25C.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #1563 on: May 30, 2012, 04:46:11 PM »
Same meeting - 7.5 hours  :zombiefuck:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1564 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:12 AM »
Together with my youngest sanded the frames of two mirrors I found in the second hand shop for €3.

Some dishes, some laundry, some phonecalls, some e-mailing. And, receiving a phonecall that makes me sad. I won't throw the towel into the boxing ring, but, right now, it is very tempting.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1565 on: May 31, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »
Spent most of the day in meetings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1566 on: May 31, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »
Pondered on the ecologically sound mass murdering of ants.

My daughter thought planning a mass murder was fitting, for a vegetarian aspie.

Tried a yeast/sugar approach. The insects did not even touch the nice concoction I made them.  ::)

I have yet to try the borax/sugar combo. Will let you know how that goes. I found another mound relatively close to the first one. The first one I refer to as Mecca. It's massive and all the ants flock to it. The second one is the suburbs. It's a little ways out, and more grass because it's not overpopulated yet :P

I spent today introducing kids to a blue tongued skink. :)

A solution popular in the South is to put grits on the ant pile before a rain.  They eat the grits and when they take in water, the grits explode in their stomachs.  I just usually draw a line with chalk on the threshhold and a little ways up the door jamb.  They've never crossed it yet.
This is a massive nest in my front yard. It's 3 ft across. They're bringing sand up to the surface and it's smothering out the grass. I found a second colony not far from the first so they're slowly overtaking my yard and the kids play out there all the time.

Can you rent an anteater from the zoo?

Update:

When the ants did not even touch my brown sugar / dried yeast treat, I dissolved it in water, and poured it into the nest, through various holes.

Now, the ants of that nest all are gone. Brushed away the pile they had made, filled a bit of the holes yesterday. No activity at all for a week now. Guess they all got a massive yeast infection.  :laugh:

Today I treated another nest on this sweet alcoholforming fluid in the corridors of their nest. Hoping for great results again.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1567 on: May 31, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »

Tried a yeast/sugar approach. The insects did not even touch the nice concoction I made them.  ::)

I have yet to try the borax/sugar combo. Will let you know how that goes. I found another mound relatively close to the first one. The first one I refer to as Mecca. It's massive and all the ants flock to it. The second one is the suburbs. It's a little ways out, and more grass because it's not overpopulated yet :P

A solution popular in the South is to put grits on the ant pile before a rain.  They eat the grits and when they take in water, the grits explode in their stomachs.  I just usually draw a line with chalk on the threshhold and a little ways up the door jamb.  They've never crossed it yet.
This is a massive nest in my front yard. It's 3 ft across. They're bringing sand up to the surface and it's smothering out the grass. I found a second colony not far from the first so they're slowly overtaking my yard and the kids play out there all the time.

Update:

When the ants did not even touch my brown sugar / dried yeast treat, I dissolved it in water, and poured it into the nest, through various holes.

Now, the ants of that nest all are gone. Brushed away the pile they had made, filled a bit of the holes yesterday. No activity at all for a week now. Guess they all got a massive yeast infection.  :laugh:

Today I treated another nest on this sweet alcoholforming fluid in the corridors of their nest. Hoping for great results again.

Queen Victoria your dealing with fire ants?  If so I will tell my sister to give it a try
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1568 on: May 31, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »

Update:

Queen Victoria your dealing with fire ants?  If so I will tell my sister to give it a try

That was Hyke and I don't think they have fire ants there.

I weeded the Canadian thistles out of my garden today and called the guy who mows my lawn to get him to come and mow.  I also paid some bills.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1569 on: May 31, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
Callaway is right, it isn't I who had the ant problem.  AFAIK they haven't made their way to Holland yet.  I make it a practice to avoid ants in general since when I'm bitten by fire ants they leave a red mark that literally takes 2 or 3 years to disappear on me. 

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1570 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
Callaway is right, it isn't I who had the ant problem.  AFAIK they haven't made their way to Holland yet.  I make it a practice to avoid ants in general since when I'm bitten by fire ants they leave a red mark that literally takes 2 or 3 years to disappear on me.

Opps

I hate ants, fire ants above all others I got 15-20 stings at once when I lived in Florida as a kid they left what looked like pimples on my leg that stayed there weeks
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1571 on: May 31, 2012, 07:33:05 PM »

Opps

I hate ants, fire ants above all others I got 15-20 stings at once when I lived in Florida as a kid they left what looked like pimples on my leg that stayed there weeks
'Tis me with the ant issue. the mound is massive. 3 ft across and it's killing my grass. Haven't treated it yet as I need hot dry weather and they kept saying it was going to storm so I held off but the rain never came. Now that I'm ready to go, it's 90% chance of a downpour for the entire weekend. Figures. :P
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1572 on: May 31, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
I remember the time our dachshund, Flippy, was rolling around in the grass as dogs do.  Unfortunately she rolled into an ant bed.  She was so miserable.  I don't remember what Mom did for it, maybe some ointment or another applied to the bumps.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1573 on: June 01, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »

Opps

'Tis me with the ant issue. the mound is massive. 3 ft across and it's killing my grass. Haven't treated it yet as I need hot dry weather and they kept saying it was going to storm so I held off but the rain never came. Now that I'm ready to go, it's 90% chance of a downpour for the entire weekend. Figures. :P

Ants in my front yard are a returning problem for years and years now. The nests in my back garden are no problem, small, and the ants know their place. The ones in the front of my house are different. Two or three very big nests, all below surface, but, too invasive critters. One of the nests is now gone.  :viking: Flooding it with a yeast and sugar solution, on a warm day.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1574 on: June 01, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
My parents had tree ants nesting in their house a couple of years ago. Using insulating open spaces in the walls and such. Was a heck of a job to get rid of them. Where they were nesting, the house had a kind of fir tree orange smell.