Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157486 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #630 on: December 21, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
 :2thumbsup:

I have a proud Royal Naval Heritage :o    My Dad  (R.I.P Dad) served on board a Naval Destroyer called H.M.Petard.  He was part of the crew that sank a German Submarine and rescued documents before it went down that assisted the code breakers at Bletchley Park.   He was not allowed to to speak of it for 50 years,  which he honoured and did not even tell my Mom!  Then,  suddenly he was whisked off to Malta to be presented with a medal.

Glory Days?   He died in a filthy nhs hospital full of C.Diff he caught in there when he went for some routine tests.  It was nine days before their golden wedding anniversary.  grrrrrr
blah blah blah

P7PSP

« Reply #631 on: December 21, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
Your dad sounds cool.  :viking: My grandpa served in the USN pacific theater WWII and was combat decorated. I didn't know about the decorations until his funeral in the mid 1990s.

Did your dad serving in WWII have any influence on you joining the Army?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #632 on: December 22, 2011, 01:25:30 AM »
I have a lot of respect for anyone who served in the navy.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #633 on: December 22, 2011, 06:46:29 AM »
Today I finished weeding the back garden
Went and got petrol
Bought 2 shirts and a hoodie from a sports shop
Waited at the doctor's for an eternity to be seen to get my Centrelink form filled out
Went and saw my parents but only spent 5 minutes there as they were watching a loud movie
Came home and got stuff ready to mail tomorrow
Got up to date with the photo threads on here
Had dinner and meds.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:49:08 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #634 on: December 22, 2011, 06:56:04 AM »
I have a small live tree too,  in a pot.  It's about 60 cm.  Cute.
You cook trees in Wales?  ???

Eh?   I have a small potted xmas tree,  even i would not be silly enough to cook it?   

Are you thinking of good old King George III ?  he used to do stuff like that you know,  planted a side of beef once, in a pot and waited for it to grow.

He was mad as a hatter.  We aren't all like that, us limey's.   He had a lot of German blood in him.  I can assure you,  my sausagemeat is a bit mixed up but there is no Frankfurter :zoinks:

'Wales'    I got enough hang up's as it is without implying i am Welsh too!  I must have missed something in this conversation :LOL:

So, that bit in Blackadder is based on King George III for real?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #635 on: December 22, 2011, 07:05:50 AM »
My Dad

No my Dad didn't influence my short army career.

That was my crazy idea.  I think the words 'private' and 'benjamin' were used a lot in my family home back then.

He didn't really want me to have any military career.  Certainly not army.  He always supported  whatever i did,  however crazy it was.   He was the greatest man in my life ever.  He was a very intelligent, patient and loving Father.  He was 52 when i was born :o
blah blah blah

Offline DORKY CHOU

• Frequent Poster
  • Cynicism at Work
« Reply #636 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:25 AM »
- Paid bills
- Shopped around for new Internet providers
- Met family friends
- Found out that one of my family friends is on the lower end of the autistic spectrum
- Had a chat with his sister as we sit with him
- Had a lot to eat

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #637 on: December 22, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »
Worked on some really cool changes for the content management system we develop. This is going to be extremely useful and clever.

OK, since you asked so nicely I feel I have to tell you. :zoinks:

I've come up with a way to group documents and their associated stylesheets, scripts, etc, stored in the system into "processes". These processes can be handled exactly in the same way as the documents they describe, they can be version handled and traced and manipulated, which allows us to reproduce not only old versions of the documents (which we already do, btw, and do well), but also anything done with them.

I know, you must be as thrilled as I am.

:headbang2:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #638 on: December 22, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Worked on some really cool changes for the content management system we develop. This is going to be extremely useful and clever.

I've come up with a way to group documents and their associated stylesheets, scripts, etc, stored in the system into "processes". These processes can be handled exactly in the same way as the documents they describe, they can be version handled and traced and manipulated, which allows us to reproduce not only old versions of the documents (which we already do, btw, and do well), but also anything done with them.

:indeed: I am. I actually had the same thing in mind last year. Other than my lack of IT skills I think I could have done it.  :zoinks:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #639 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

What does this mean for the financial auditors?  A better "paper" trail or does it make it easier to juggle the books?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #640 on: December 22, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »

Bit Ajax web like?

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #641 on: December 22, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
Motivating kids out of their bed and to school.
Some cleaning, clearing, too many phonecalls about stupid financial stuff.
Help youngest to dress up like Mary.
Start making the house somewhat festive, with a holly garland, lights, shiny X-mas balls and such.
Pick up youngest from evening celebration at school, and hang around there a bit.
Some more decorating, cuddling cats and kids.
And, now I am here.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #642 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »

What does this mean for the financial auditors?  A better "paper" trail or does it make it easier to juggle the books?

A paper trail we already have, in other words document versioning, that is, locating and handling an old version. What this adds is a process trail.

The "documents" actually consist of reusable modules of various sizes and versions. The system is designed for technical information, say, service information for cars or planes or drilling platforms, where you need to reuse as much as possible of previous material, instead of rewriting or copying and pasting text.

They say printed documentation for a Boeing 747 would weigh more than the plane itself, so there is no way to write (or copy and paste) all that information from scratch. You want to reuse as much as possible from the older planes and only write new stuff when needed.

So... The documents we handle in our system can be automatically converted to almost any media or format, from paper to web to smartphones, etc. They are converted to those formats using various scripts and stylesheets, but given a published document in, say, PDF, you haven't been able to determine exactly how it came to be a PDF with that specific layout because there was no way to know what processes were used to arrive there.

Until now.

I know, it doesn't necessarily make sense when described like this. But trust me, it's very cool.

- Albert Einstein

P7PSP

« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2011, 02:13:44 AM »
@ approximately 4:00 pm I received my latest order from Top Gun Supply. A Ritchie Leather Belt Speed Scabbard holster and two sets of light trigger rebound springs and firing pin block springs for my HK P2000SK 40 caliber. I bought the extra trigger return springs and firing pin block spring because I may either get a spare P2000SK or slightly larger P2000 V2 in the future. By changing out these springs I changed the DAO ~ 8.5 pound trigger pull to ~ 5.25 pound pull.

I thought that fucking with the roll pin on the slide would be the problematic one but it only took 20 minutes to change out. The trigger return spring was a motherfucker and took me 4 hours  :o to get set right! I am pretty sure that aside from being highly trained gunsmiths the HK guys probably have purpose built grossengewehrfursmackendiepanzernmultifunktion* tools to put it in place but I made do with drift punches, needle nose and elbow grease. Anyway it is satisfying to have accomplished this even though I did utter a few uncharacteristic swear words  :-[ in the process. 

What I did has no effect on the appearance of my P2000SK but here it is in the new holster.

Again.

And an old pic with my excellent 1999 Glock 26.

*I stole, and corrupted, an old kraut compound word for Anti Tank Rifle. I know that is not proper German.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:23:12 AM by PPK »

P7PSP

« Reply #644 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:44 AM »
And yes I did do the pencil test, with a cheap plastic ball point pen, to test the firing pin. It had enough energy to launch the pen up to nail my ceiling from sitting position on the couch.  :thumbup: