Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157666 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #12030 on: January 28, 2023, 06:47:11 PM »
I did my Saturday chores and cleaned the floor grout. :hadron: I've been up since 1am, so I also took a nap. Waking up at 1 was actually nice, because it happened to be the boy's night off, so we sat and chatted in the kitchen for a couple of hours. :heart:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12031 on: January 28, 2023, 07:23:27 PM »
I did my Saturday chores and cleaned the floor grout. :hadron: I've been up since 1am, so I also took a nap. Waking up at 1 was actually nice, because it happened to be the boy's night off, so we sat and chatted in the kitchen for a couple of hours. :heart:

OOOH, my wife and I did the floor grout today. Usually just a quick mopping is all it takes to bring the kitchen tile back to Yay!

But the grout darkens and you just have to scrub it.
We did that today, too!
I was the one wearing knee pads and using Softscrub and a brush while my sweetheart kept things rinsed with a mop as I slowly progressed across the entire floor.
:hadron:

We sat down after and she had wine while I enjoyed a grapefruit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 08:06:53 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12032 on: January 28, 2023, 08:20:05 PM »
I wiped out the fridge and made a shopping list. :hadron: Sugarbutt and I also went to home depot to get something he needed. We got sidetracked forever daydreaming in the appliance section so it turned out sort of like a nice date.  :lol1:

Wiping out the fridge can have more than one meaning.

That is what my son does every other day or so, but he is not doing a cleaning job. However, we have gotten both of them to keep a grocery list up to date.

Baby steps.

I think your Home Depot date sounds wonderful!
 :nerdy:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12033 on: January 28, 2023, 09:10:08 PM »
I wiped out the fridge and made a shopping list. :hadron: Sugarbutt and I also went to home depot to get something he needed. We got sidetracked forever daydreaming in the appliance section so it turned out sort of like a nice date.  :lol1:

Wiping out the fridge can have more than one meaning.

That is what my son does every other day or so, but he is not doing a cleaning job. However, we have gotten both of them to keep a grocery list up to date.

Baby steps.

I think your Home Depot date sounds wonderful!
 :nerdy:

I only grocery shop twice per month, so the fridge is pretty empty by the time grocery day rolls around. I like it that way because it's a good sign we're not wasting food, plus it's easy to give the fridge a quick clean before refilling it when there's not much in the way. Although during the pandemic I shopped every week, because I didn't want to look like a greedy gut hoarder filling up the cart.  :lol1:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12034 on: January 29, 2023, 12:15:28 AM »
Kind of rough here still finding so many empty spots on shelves and often our lists can not be fulfilled. Not everything we are used to buying is available every trip. I have never seen it this way in my lifetime.

My wife goes grocery shopping every week and keeps herself stocked with the things she has to have for a twelve hour day at work, five days a week.
However, I have begun to order many things online and much of what the stores run out of, Amazon has in massive local warehouses and the delivery is often same day and no charge.

All that shit is still new to me, but this is where we find ourselves.

I only buy paper goods and canned goods (maybe noodles) that way. Any fresh anything, I take the time to go to the stores and pick them out for myself. We have several decent stores nearby.

I've gone a little nutty with wanting fresh fruits and vegetables more than ever lately. I presume I am adding to the problem with my recent changes.

We've always kept stuff for the kids and I still ate mostly Mexican food, but in the past two years I've gone into an antioxidant nutcase psycho queer mode or something. Probably eating better than in my entire life.
Since I started getting better after being sick for so long, I have eaten three or four lemons every day. Finding good ones is a challenge, but they HELP me.
Good greens seem to be available still and we use lots of those.
I need my fresh!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:17:26 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12035 on: January 29, 2023, 10:08:30 AM »
Yeah, I agree fresh leafy greens are avoided on a two week shopping schedule, unless I plan to use them right away. I tend to buy iceberg rather than fancy lettuce because it's the only one which will last until the next shopping day. Sugarbutt usually reaches for the frozen vegetables, unless he's adding onions and peppers to a dish. The boy stopped eating vegetables years ago, so I buy tons of fruit for him because he'll eat plenty of that. He just eats them in the order of most perishable. I eat a little of the fruit, but prefer raw vegetables, so the veggies in the fridge are pretty much all for me. I like the idea of pickup or delivery but I also prefer to pick my own produce and meats. Plus, for some reason the idea of pickup or delivery really bothers Sugarbutt, so I just let that idea go.  :dunno:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #12036 on: January 29, 2023, 01:42:52 PM »
Shopped for books to replenish my "to be read" pile.  Groceries, some Brandy, and did the laundry.  Now for some vacuuming of the house after lunch. 8)
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12037 on: January 31, 2023, 08:42:16 PM »
Worked on an urban pioneer's house who is trying to gentrify  a not so good neighborhood next to Yale
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12038 on: February 03, 2023, 02:57:27 AM »
Today I had my endocrinologist appointment. The doctor said to really find out if some of my medications are causing a high metadrenaline level (the fight/flight hormone) I would have to come off Vyvanse (long-acting ADHD med) and moclobemide (antidepressant) for at least a couple of weeks. I said I don't want to. Reasons being I've been stable for 10 years and I can't imagine what would happen if I were to discontinue these medications, especially moclobemide. I really don't want to end up back in the psych ward.

So instead I'm to have another metadrenaline test along with a few other blood tests (which I can't read because of his doctor writing) which are going to cost me $70. I also have to do a 24 hour urine collection this Sunday/Monday. That's going to be fun as I've never done this before. /sarcasm. I can't eat bananas, nuts, pineapple or tomatoes for 48 hours because they're acidic.

I was wondering. Fight or flight. Isn't this what a lot of autistics are in a permanent state of?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #12039 on: February 03, 2023, 04:12:05 AM »
I was wondering. Fight or flight. Isn't this what a lot of autistics are in a permanent state of?

Can confirm. I'm hyper aware and hyper vigilant 24/7. I'm even tense in my sleep.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12040 on: February 03, 2023, 05:11:58 PM »
Worked in an unheated house all day in the cold
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12041 on: February 03, 2023, 11:42:13 PM »
Can confirm. I'm hyper aware and hyper vigilant 24/7. I'm even tense in my sleep.
I can understand that. I hold a lot of tension in my shoulders but otherwise my hyper vigilance has eased a bit in recent years.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #12042 on: February 04, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
I did my usual Saturday chores. :hadron:  There's still a load of cleaning rags in the dryer, but otherwise I'm done and I'm eating my Saturday soup. I don't have any spring cleaning chores this weekend, so I'm testing a cleaning tip I saw on YouTube.  :orly:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12043 on: February 04, 2023, 02:52:15 PM »
I rendered a pound of "cheap" bacon. Kept most of the runoff grease separately for other uses at a later date. 
I am adding two large onions, caramelized in the bacon grease, three small hot peppers, roasted, skinned with the placentas removed (so they aren't hot anymore), two large tomatoes treated similarly and half a pot of leftover pinto beans to make a batch of refried beans.

I usually do this, but with the price of bacon, this might be the most expensive pan of refried beans I have ever made.
Refried beans with tortillas are supposed to be a poverty food for those who can not afford "real" food.

To me, this dish is a delicacy from my youth that I still crave upon occasion.

"Damn the torpedoes ... full speed ahead!"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 02:56:58 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12044 on: February 04, 2023, 03:01:59 PM »
I did my usual Saturday chores. :hadron:  There's still a load of cleaning rags in the dryer, but otherwise I'm done and I'm eating my Saturday soup. I don't have any spring cleaning chores this weekend, so I'm testing a cleaning tip I saw on YouTube.  :orly:

Cleaning tips??

... aside from getting the kids to pitch in some?
Our kids are doing great lately, by the way. I can not applaud them enough as to how they have both stepped up to help keep our new home clean.

Let us in on your cleaning tips!