Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157624 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11760 on: October 08, 2022, 05:42:05 AM »
Two loads of washing. I even folded a fitted sheet. Or rather I folded it twice and then rolled it up. :zoinks:
The best way I found to deal with fitted sheets is to fold them in quarters without even trying to be neat. Next fold the flat sheet in half and lay the fitted sheet and pillow cases on top of it, and fold it all up neatly inside the flat sheet. Then all the matching pieces are together in one tidy bundle.  :thumbup:
I don't use the flat sheet. When I change the bed, the quilt cover is changed as well because I don't sleep with a flat sheet.

Once I bought a quilt cover set from Ikea. When I got home I was pleased to find the set included four pillowcases. Usually, any set has just two.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11761 on: October 08, 2022, 05:47:40 AM »
Two loads of washing. I even folded a fitted sheet. Or rather I folded it twice and then rolled it up. :zoinks:
The best way I found to deal with fitted sheets is to fold them in quarters without even trying to be neat. Next fold the flat sheet in half and lay the fitted sheet and pillow cases on top of it, and fold it all up neatly inside the flat sheet. Then all the matching pieces are together in one tidy bundle.  :thumbup:
I don't use the flat sheet. When I change the bed, the quilt cover is changed as well because I don't sleep with a flat sheet.

Once I bought a quilt cover set from Ikea. When I got home I was pleased to find the set included four pillowcases. Usually, any set has just two.

Oh yeah, I forgot top sheets are an American thing.  :lol1: Some people tuck them inside a pillowcase, but I've never tried that. :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11762 on: October 08, 2022, 05:57:07 AM »
Top sheets are a my mum thing too. ;) She's always done it.

I've tried putting everything into a pillowcase but it ends up lumpy and doesn't stack well. Maybe I did it wrong.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11763 on: October 08, 2022, 02:02:07 PM »
Played golf today, and pretty decently at that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11764 on: October 08, 2022, 02:20:30 PM »
Top sheets are a my mum thing too. ;) She's always done it.

I've tried putting everything into a pillowcase but it ends up lumpy and doesn't stack well. Maybe I did it wrong.

I got rid of all the extra sheets during my great declutter of the pandemic.  :lol1: They serve no purpose because we have a dryer so the sheets go straight out of the laundry back onto the beds. There's still quite a bit of stuff in the linen closet though and that's a space that always got on my nerves because it gets messy so easy. I bought some of those collapsible cube storage things at the dollar tree, they're not nearly as sturdy as the ones found in other stores but they were much cheaper and they do serve their purpose. I put all the stuff in those cubes so we can easily pull things out and put them back without messing up the whole shelf, and if something does happen to get messy then it still doesn't look like a mess. Although it does look sort of weird to open that closet and see a bunch of squares. Still, I'd rather it look weird than a mess.  :dunno:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11765 on: October 08, 2022, 02:26:13 PM »
I did my regular Saturday cleaning chores and paid the bills. :hadron: I also did a big dust. I didn't do the boy's room because I forgot to give him advanced notice. He likes to know the plan and I totally forgot to tell him I'm dismantling the house today. Now he's been notified and we're all set for the morning.  :thumbup:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11766 on: October 09, 2022, 09:55:00 AM »
Did my usual shopping on Sunday and survived the post church shoppers who flood the stores on late Sunday mornings.   :GA:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11767 on: October 09, 2022, 02:34:19 PM »
I did a big bunch of nothing.  :zoinks:

Online Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11768 on: October 10, 2022, 03:45:59 PM »
My package came in today... trying the different wires that are compatible with my headphones, as well as finding styluses that go well with my 3DS. Another book but this one is a different book by the same author I'm reading now.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11769 on: October 11, 2022, 12:51:18 PM »
Spent most of the day coding, for a change.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11770 on: October 11, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
I waxed and polished two of the dining room chairs. Doing them all is going to take longer than I expected and I'm not convinced it's worth the time and effort, as compared to only giving them a good wipe down with regular furniture polish. They may not need so much attention. I'll wait until tomorrow to decide, when I can see them in the daylight.  :dunno:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11771 on: October 12, 2022, 02:24:46 AM »
Watched the second half of Dune with Kayleigh, then she realised she had an appointment in ten minutes so we both had to rush to get ready. Then she had another appointment so we went to that. Came home and did the dishes. Now I have to get ready for work.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11772 on: October 12, 2022, 06:46:28 AM »
I waxed and polished two of the dining room chairs. Doing them all is going to take longer than I expected and I'm not convinced it's worth the time and effort, as compared to only giving them a good wipe down with regular furniture polish. They may not need so much attention. I'll wait until tomorrow to decide, when I can see them in the daylight.  :dunno:

It's probably worth your time!

Our dining table and chairs are solid walnut, made locally in Indiana. Walnut is a cheap wood here, second cheapest only to oak of various sorts.
I/we have been doing the perfunctory wipe down thing with oils for years and I would like to take the time to give them a good "strip" with alcohol to remove buildups in the corners and restore them properly.
This is the highest quality furniture we own.

Our master bedroom suite is cherry on the outside, but poplar drawers and backings, made around the turn of this century with not that great of joinery if you look closely. It is strong and it looks nice, but not heirloom quality like our dining room.
Mostly flat surfaces do not build up anything, so the oils have kept all of it looking good.

We also have a really nice maple rocker that was handmade by my wife's great, great grandfather (not sure how many greats it takes to get to the 1850s), who was an accomplished woodwright in his day.
That is a piece that has been refinished a number of times that I would love to re-do again, but do it right this time.

I forgot, we also have a very ornate, curved top cedar chest that he made, before the family migrated from the Pennsylvania Dutch communities to Indiana. Being a large heavy item, it needs some repair to the fancy inlay work he did, when that gets a restore.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 07:00:56 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11773 on: October 12, 2022, 03:07:29 PM »
The workday was spent in meetings. Then walked the dog and was in a far better place afterwards.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11774 on: October 12, 2022, 04:54:48 PM »

It's probably worth your time!

Our dining table and chairs are solid walnut, made locally in Indiana. Walnut is a cheap wood here, second cheapest only to oak of various sorts.
I/we have been doing the perfunctory wipe down thing with oils for years and I would like to take the time to give them a good "strip" with alcohol to remove buildups in the corners and restore them properly.
This is the highest quality furniture we own.

Our master bedroom suite is cherry on the outside, but poplar drawers and backings, made around the turn of this century with not that great of joinery if you look closely. It is strong and it looks nice, but not heirloom quality like our dining room.
Mostly flat surfaces do not build up anything, so the oils have kept all of it looking good.

We also have a really nice maple rocker that was handmade by my wife's great, great grandfather (not sure how many greats it takes to get to the 1850s), who was an accomplished woodwright in his day.
That is a piece that has been refinished a number of times that I would love to re-do again, but do it right this time.

I forgot, we also have a very ornate, curved top cedar chest that he made, before the family migrated from the Pennsylvania Dutch communities to Indiana. Being a large heavy item, it needs some repair to the fancy inlay work he did, when that gets a restore.

It's possible I'll finish it because I've already started. I didn't decide today because it was overcast all day and there was too much life happening anyway. It's been gently used and well cared, so I just have doubts if all that work is making any improvement. Right now, I don't see it is. Better lighting might change my mind.  :dunno: