Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 158514 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11520 on: May 25, 2022, 05:17:14 AM »
I had to get up early to go to my lung test appointment. It was kind of interesting and I'm glad I didn't stuff anything up and have to do it over. Most of it involved having to breathe into a handheld tube linked up to a computer. They gave me Ventolin, thankfully.

Then I took Kayleigh to her laser face blasting. We hung around the shops afterwards and I looked for some hair ties in some shops and didn't find anything I wanted. Kayleigh bought a dress and I bought a drink.

We went to Officeworks where Kayleigh bought some yellow toner for the printer and a computer cable.

At home I cleaned out the laundry.

Then worked. Now I'm waiting for the Coles truck to bring our fortnightly food.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11521 on: May 25, 2022, 05:59:47 AM »
Last night I finished putting all the new parts in my dad's old radio.
It works like a champ and sounds wonderful! Clear as a bell FM and about as good as it gets AM reception.

I was most impressed with how much Short Wave air traffic there is these days. I kind of thought that had gone away with everyone having a cellphone. Not so, I was picking up several foreign language broadcasts (that means possibly Europe or South America) just with my crappy TV antenna. No telling what I could pick up if I bought a proper Short Wave antenna and mounted it up high.

There is no better feeling than actually having a complicated project FINISHED!!!
That has always been something I have to fight. I wil start almost anything, but finishing it to my satisfaction is rough.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:01:20 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11522 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »
Spent most of the day writing technical specs for a product we're hoping to build.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11523 on: May 25, 2022, 07:13:13 PM »
Sorting out and getting stuff from the clean out I did over the weekend ready for sale
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11524 on: May 26, 2022, 07:25:41 AM »
I always do the "well, not today, but ..."  thing.

This week I have been helping a "friend" with his home theater set up. It seems like I have been busy doing a lot of things.
About ten years ago, I built an Infinite Baffle subwoofer system into his attic. Worked great.
Recently, he has dropped major coin on an update to his theater system.
Eight current Dayton IB drivers for up top, new Atmos receiver, all new mains and surround speakers and a new screen. Basically, everything new.

He had the screen and the all the speakers installed and set up (he's using all Yamaha this time). He wanted help and guidance replacing his old cheapie Citation subwoofer drivers with the new hotrod Daytons he bought. He called me, since I was the original architect of his awesome sub system. I hemmed and hawed, but showed up the next day to see the NEW and gather info. All told, on and off, four visits now, I've been by.
There wasn't really much to talk about until last night.

I had built a truncated pyramid which would support eight 15'' drivers that fires downward into his room from the attic.  Kind of an ideal way to do something like this. He had the space and dollars and cents and sense, but sort of cheaped out with those Citation drivers. He bought good solid power way back then, at my insistence, so no need to change any of that.
These new Daytons are awesome!

Still a little gimpy with my left arm, but with his help, we installed the eight new drivers, braced up and re-sealed the original pyramid and connected the additional bracing to the structure of his attic this time.
This turned the whole "vibratey parts" stuff into an almost immovable object that just pumps massive amounts of air, without any voice of its own. Just low frequency air pumps!

Everything is solid and can't move even under the kind of pressure these Daytons can create. It was a good install!
He fought me on this some. "Why do we have to cut another board? It's already got one!" I know and we will need another. You need three points of structure to make something solid! Fight, argue, act wimpy, huff and puff, THEN go saw some more boards, is how half the night went.

Third night, we were listening to some music. We had "previewed" several movies (probably a couple of dozen favorites, favorite parts), during all this once things were finished. He doesn't have a stereo. He uses his HT system for music, but I was not liking what I was hearing. Movies can be more forgiving to most folks. If you can understand the dialog and the action excites, it's good enough. Music is more critical and shows more shortcomings, almost instantly. I was not happy with what his big dollar system was doing and having a degree of trust for most Yamaha equipment, I wanted more.

He was happy. His subwoofer system would blow out a candle five feet from the output panel into his room. Lots of deep lows! But I was not happy with the way music sounded at all. I had asked several times how they set up his receiver and surrounds. His response was something like, "I don't know they were here all day."  I asked over and over how they did it. Did they run the onboard DSP set up?
"It took all day!"

I asked if we could just turn everything off for a while and let me get into this Yamaha receiver a little more and see how to set it up right. I spent some time reading and learned how to do the set up. We ran the whole process again.  Took some time to do it right.

His wife is out of town assisting an ailing loved one and he wanted to get all this messy stuff done while she was gone. So, last night I went back over at 3AM (he's a nightowl, too) and we did the DSP set up MY way! Still using the info I gained from reading all I could get from the manual. It takes more than one sampling to get it right. You're not just sending some sound over to a chair. You are charging a three dimensional space with acoustical energy, FFS. It takes more than one or two samplings to get it right.

Over an hour, but my buddy is almost freaking out. "The neighbors! It's the middle of the night!" I tried to assure him, no one will know what is happening. They'll think the birds are up early after the storms. Don't worry, we need to do this. "But you already did this!"
And I did it again, moving the set up mic again and again.
Anyway, enough about his discomfort.

This new Yamaha system is amazing and music is so clear and full of "air" and richness. NOW, he is happy. He just thought he was before all that noise I made. Now when playing the cannon blasts in "Master And Commander" his subwoofer system will blow out a candle from eight feet away from the outlet. Trust me, we did it fifty times and he laughed every time and wanted to move it a little farther away. It will blow out a candle from a distance. It also moves my beard around if I am too close.

God Damn Right!

But the fucking Atmos system sounds so amazing, now!! You are not just watching a movie, YOU ARE LIVING INSIDE IT! You are part of it!

I felt a little put upon at first, but actually getting to "do my favorite job, I love so much and make a difference" has turned out to be almost like a vacation from all the healing I have been having to do for myself.

I want one! But I have a family that is not even comfortable with standard THX, let alone what this guy has put together, with my help.

He gave me those old drivers, but I really have no use for them. I have so many, much better drivers to call upon if I need. Not sure what to do with them.

So there was my week. I got to hear what a modern, high dollar Dolby Atmos system, dialed in pretty close to right, can actually sound like.
We had these systems at BBY when I worked there, but I did not notice much of anything spectacular.
This sytem sounds amazing!!

Sorry, I keep forgetting I have to push a button to get spellcheck. I got used to old way and depended upon realtime correection. Still can not type, but I'm using both hands again, sort of.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 12:45:35 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11525 on: May 28, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »
I finished my Saturday chores around noon and I've been wasting time sine then. This is car cleaning weekend but it's already hot, so I'll think about that later.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11526 on: May 28, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »
I built a couple of bird feeders, simple thirty minute job, using some left over wood after making a table top for outside.

While I was installing them, one of the nosy neighbors in the neighborhood, addressing me as "the new kid on the block"  said, "You know, you're waisting your time. Only thing your doing is just feeding the squirrels."

I asked, "Don't you like squirrels? They get hungry, too."

She: "Yeah, fine, but they make a mess."  She seems to take a different stance, ready to show me how it goes around here.

Me: "And the birds clean it up, right? It all works out."

She: "Yeah but they just scatter everything everywhere."    I am aware now that I am dealing with a simple, one sided mind by this point.

Me: "Don't you know how to keep the squirrels out of your bird feeder?" She changes the angle of her hips and gets ready to help the poor innocent, new to the place.

She: "You can't. That's the thing. They're too smart!" 

Me: "All you have to do is use what makes them so smart against them. They are mammals and have salavary glands. You want to keep the squirrels at bay, just sprinkle some cayenne pepper on you bird feed. Birds won't even notice and the squirrels, being so smart, will develope a distate for your area."

Now she was getting mad at me : "AHH! That's terrible! How could you do such a thing? They're just animals. That is so cruel!"

Me: "Birds don't even know it's there miss. Squirrels leave your feeders alone after a while. They're smart like you say."

Shifting her hips for the fourth time: "Is that what you're going to do? I don't think it's right!"

Me: "No miss, I like sgirrels, too and I feed them both. I thought you were looking for help."

She: "I was helping you!  Nice to meet you."

Me: "We haven't met yet miss, I'm (DD) and you are?"

She: "Well, I'm (Mrs Busy Body) and if I see you killing squirrels no one's going to like that."

Me: Thank you and nice to meet you. I won't be killing any squirrels or birds. I feed them both.

I'm leaning back, trying to keep from laughing until she could move on.

She was quite older even than I am, so I just had a small chuckle. She was the one telling me that squirrels are such a problem and I said they weren't. I feed both and the mess they make goes away with the birds. I offered her the most common, logical answer to her distaste for squirrels and she kind of went nuts.

It's a simple thing, if you don't like squirrels in your bird feeder, add some pepper. Birds do not even know it's there and the squirrels will learn. Problem solved. I grew up in Texas and we know these things about peppers.
Doesn't work on coyotes, though. Works on wasps, too.

Whatever, Lady! Fuck off away from me.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:19:32 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11527 on: May 28, 2022, 06:13:37 PM »
They actually sell peppered bird seed in the stores.  :lol1:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11528 on: May 28, 2022, 06:18:06 PM »
I cleaned the cars and they are all shiny and sparkle. :hadron: Now all that's left to clean is me.  :zoinks: The cars will probably get rained on soon. I think hurricane season officially starts next week, so the rainy season in nigh and I should think about restocking the bottled water.  :orly:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11529 on: May 28, 2022, 06:33:54 PM »
They actually sell peppered bird seed in the stores.  :lol1:

I know, but some don't.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11530 on: May 28, 2022, 09:01:26 PM »
I was just approached by another neighbor a few minutes ago. I have to post this.
It was a younger, much less oddball person in her forties. Sharp, I would say, except ...

SO I have been trying to get my garage usable for a shop. Things are cluttered like hell still, but I have been stacking some of my BIG sound gear in a corner. On a whim, earlier today I hooked some of it up and had a bluray player going with The Beatles. Rubber Soul.

Now I was not playing it loud at all, maybe a couple of watts or less. She walked up and said it sounded "wonderful" and had only heard that many years ago (HER FAULT!!!!) and wondered what it was. Really?  ...  a forty something with no recognition of the Beatles?  Truly the end of times is here.

Anyway, we talked some and she welcomed us, etc. She was gracious in every way. Not so pretty or such like that, an average looking person, but I look forward to seeing her again. Nice person!

But the encounter got me thinking that of all the times I have had people get in my face for music too loud, call the cops or throw shit at my house for playing music they could hear, it was almost always the Beatles. It got me to really looking back at all the times this has happened.

Now this lady was here to compliment me, not say to turn it down.  But again, it was the Beatles playing that attracted a stranger.

Now, understand, I love the Beatles and I play them a lot, so hard to make averages seem scientific, but what is it about the Beatles that moves people so much. I know they can still make me cry (George's return to Krishna rips my heart out, for instance) or almost dance, but it was wild a person asking who was playing. Again, a stranger comes up and I'm playing the Beatles. Fifty year old music.

I've been yelled at, threatened, had things thrown at me and my house, called the cops on me a hundred times when I played music too loud. I kind of get that a bit. What the fuck is it with some of these psychos who don't like the Beatles??!!!??

This nice woman loved what she was hearing, so maybe not a psycho, but again, it is the Beatles playing. And a stranger came by.
 :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 09:06:48 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11531 on: May 30, 2022, 08:13:07 AM »
Getting caught up on my internet/FB/gmail stuff.  We just got back yesterday from our Northern Kentucky trip to see Carla's family.  Unfortunately they all tested positive for COVID.  So we had to keep our visits brief and contactless.  So we would up improvising and got out despite some stormy rainy weather.  Visited the Big Bone Lick state park that has many Ice Age mega fauna bones found there.  It was also a major salt Lick area used by the animals as well as by the Indigenous peoples for thousands of years.  As well as their major hunting grounds of the creatures that came to get the salt as well.  Then we visited the Cincinnati Museum, a HUGE Art Deco building that used to be a major train/trolley transportation center in its day.  https://www.cincymuseum.org/sciencemuseum/  A fascinating place combining the Natural history of the area as well as the history of Cincinnati.  Did a lot of walking at the local Burlington Kentucky parks and Arboretum.  We stayed at a B&B near the Boone county fairgrounds.  Also a nice walk.  We all needed a definite vacation to just chill at this time.  We've been going to Burlington KY for years to visit my inlaws.  Due to COVID, we haven't been down there in 3 long years. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11532 on: May 30, 2022, 08:14:40 AM »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11533 on: June 02, 2022, 01:46:39 PM »
DD, sounds like an awesome Atmos system.

I've been underwhelmed by Atmos. The concept - the object-oriented sound - is great but the mixes do not impress. Yes, speakers above your head will add a dimension, but honestly, with a proper DTS or SRD mix presented in an auditorium properly set up, did anyone complain about that missing dimension? Did anyone miss some of the rain drops?

I know I didn't. I've been waiting for the big reveal but all I'm getting is more of the same. Don't get me wrong, there are some great mixes out there, and with the proper gear - I remain partial to Denon myself, for the home market - some great sound. But better than before the advent of Atmos?

Nope.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11534 on: June 02, 2022, 01:59:20 PM »
I tend to agree.

I suppose what I was most impressed with about this high dollar system is that, once it was working close to right, it was missing nothing, either.

I do think that better use of the format is in order, as you mention.

I use a Denon system, myself. It is capable of more, but have mine set to 5.1 and for me and my use, it works.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 02:01:25 PM by DirtDawg »