Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157670 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11460 on: April 24, 2022, 06:41:14 PM »
Why oh whyyyy did humans decide that as much grass as possible, as thick and green as possible, is the appropriate covering for around every single house in the country? It is so stupidly arbitrary.

Zen gardens for the win.  :autism:

I agree on the zen garden. The paved walkway creates a permanent fixture of a flower bed in front of the house. Everything we've tried to grow in there over the years either doesn't grow well, or it grows too well and starts encroaching on the walkway. I'm not sure about the plants in there right now. I thought they were going to die but they seem to be making a comeback. I told Sugarbutt, if we ever have to re-do that bed again then it's only getting some fancy rocks.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11461 on: April 24, 2022, 07:46:47 PM »

I totally agree!  We had a "wild" lawn when we lived in Maine.  A lot of wild strawberries and wild flowers.  Of course I had to mow occasionally to keep the ticks at bay, but, otherwise low maintenance.  And when I built our vegetable gardens, I dug up the area to below grass root level and did a raised bed with timbers and to also build fencing around the beds to keep the deer and woodchucks at bay!

Were there timbers under the soil too?

I have fencing around the outside of the yard, but it doesn't keep out the cats and hares.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11462 on: April 24, 2022, 07:56:47 PM »
Went out at 5:55am to the end of the driveway with a lit candle for the ANZAC Day dawn service. No one else was about. Very quiet. So I played the Last Post on my phone (not loudly) and went back inside to bed.

Rowan insisted that I feed him. I waited for half an hour with no sleep. Then fed the cats. Then I went back to bed.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11463 on: April 24, 2022, 08:24:07 PM »

I totally agree!  We had a "wild" lawn when we lived in Maine.  A lot of wild strawberries and wild flowers.  Of course I had to mow occasionally to keep the ticks at bay, but, otherwise low maintenance.  And when I built our vegetable gardens, I dug up the area to below grass root level and did a raised bed with timbers and to also build fencing around the beds to keep the deer and woodchucks at bay!

Were there timbers under the soil too?

I have fencing around the outside of the yard, but it doesn't keep out the cats and hares.

I sank the timbers into the ground to a 3 inch or so depth to discourage the diggers from going underneath.  I also invested in a product that is taken from predator urine to discourage them.  As for cats, never did have a problem with them.  My neighbor had a cat, but, he rarely showed his face here.  I also had a large popular birdfeeder system that I squirrel proofed (yes, it is possible) but that is another story.  Which attracted foxes and coyotes that kept the hares and woodchucks on their toes. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11464 on: April 25, 2022, 01:59:17 PM »
Spent the afternoon and evening in a meeting with a US client. Completely knackered now, me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11465 on: April 25, 2022, 02:18:48 PM »
Took several walks, picked up the mail, watched a fascinating volcano documentary, vacuumed the staircases and the downstairs entrance, paid a bill for renters  insurance, bought a nice bouquet of flowers for our 31st Anniversary coming up very soon. 
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11466 on: April 28, 2022, 12:41:34 AM »
Went and worked in Armadale. Talked quite a bit to my client, he was in a very easygoing mood. Did his filing then left. Got a chicken schnitzel sandwich on the way home, the chicken was nice, the bread was awful.

Driving for 2 hours really takes it out of me.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11467 on: April 29, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »
Not quite yet, but I am driving my son to another job interview in about an hour.
At least he is trying, again. Spent a few weeks hiding in his room, but now he is trying to find work. I have to applaud.

So far today, couple hours of coffee and "editing" in our garden. A lot of the bigger plantings have gone a little past their spaces.

I have potted up some plants, where I cut about a quarter of the "expansion" growth, roots and all. I am going to take them over to my old neighbor at the old house. She loves daisies and black eyed susans. I have six pots of beauty to give to someone and I thought of her first.

She's the wife of our fireman neighbor who was so helpful when he and I were spending our nights on the Neighborhood Watch. She is The Cookie Lady who usually had fresh snacks ready for our 4AM breaks.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11468 on: April 29, 2022, 02:48:11 PM »
Went to a flea market then estate sales
Loaded the last of the stuff in the van for the show this weekend
While loading I tripped on an extension cord while carrying a bin full of tools,  stumbled my foot landed on a dolly, scooted about three feet long the driveway before I caught myself.   Didn't drop a thing or twist or strain anything.  I wish I had a rear dashcam it would have been fun to see
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11469 on: April 29, 2022, 05:44:00 PM »
Went to a flea market then estate sales
Loaded the last of the stuff in the van for the show this weekend
While loading I tripped on an extension cord while carrying a bin full of tools,  stumbled my foot landed on a dolly, scooted about three feet long the driveway before I caught myself.   Didn't drop a thing or twist or strain anything.  I wish I had a rear dashcam it would have been fun to see

Sounds almost like an Abbott and Costello routine for one. Might have gotten millions of hits on tictok.
 :indeed:

Thankfully, you did not get hurt!!

I can attest, you can't always bumble and not spend months trying to heal.
 :cbc:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11470 on: April 30, 2022, 12:11:08 PM »
Hit a few golf balls with a friend and hurt my back. Again. Fuck this shit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11471 on: April 30, 2022, 12:37:40 PM »
I woke early and it's not big shopping week, so my Saturday chores were done early. Since then I've been wasting time. Cleaning inside cabinets and drawers is next on schedule so I'll probably do some of that later.  :dunno:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11472 on: April 30, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »
Wasting time doesn't always have to be a bad thing. Just saying.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11473 on: April 30, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
I spent half the day patching up some trenches the movers left in a neighbor's easeway, outside the sidewalks, still their responsibility to maintain.

I am cursed! For the fourth time in my life (I might have forgotten one or two) I have had to move my residence in fucking January. FFS!

This time it was above freezing by a degree or so, raining and almost freezing, but the big icy thing did not happen untill the early morning after. We got our furniture moved, FINALLY.  Two weeks in wait.

What I did not know was that the bigass truck bringing all of our shit to safety had damaged our neighbor's easeway.
My wife had mentioned it more than once, but she was talking about some dirt across the street. I had priorities. Dirt was not one of them.
When I actually looked at what had happened to that yard across the street, I bucked up some and decided to go meet them for the first time.

It was OK. They are nice people. But when he told me that his mower had stalled after falling into one of the ruts, I was beyond embarrassed.

I told him I would fix it. I spent almost two hundred bucks on topsoil and seeding mixture to fill all the damage. He came out while we were working and was impressed that I had started immediately to correct the issue. He asked if I had contacted the movers and asked for them to pony up some. He's a lawyer.

I tried to graciously admit to all neglegence.  I am the one ultimately responsible for the correction and any future relationship with them as neighbors depends upon this.

I exposed my politics by saying that this was my doing.  It is up to me to take care of it all.  He seemed to be stunned.

I don't think he had ever encountered a true conservative who did what was right with no question of trying to point fingers at another.

Anyway, rough day and I am beat!
But his easement is good as new, as soon as the seeds I put out begin to grow.

I would rather have used all our effort to fix some stuff in our own yard, with some ankle breaking holes and trenches from mowing with huge machines while the ground was soft as a sponge in our own yard, but this shit was my fault. We fixed it.

And I am beat!!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11474 on: April 30, 2022, 06:42:58 PM »
Wasting time doesn't always have to be a bad thing. Just saying.

I should be paid to waste time because I'm so good at it.  :zoinks: