Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157030 times)

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11130 on: October 21, 2021, 02:00:56 AM »
Sold my old Ford Focus to a vehicle breaker.  It gave me 16 years and 126,000 miles of service.  It still drove OK but the seals had gone and it was too damp inside to live with through another winter.  It gets to something when you have to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield.

I got £280 for it's weight in scrap.

Probably should have traded for a quantity of pot, but £s can be useful, too.

That actually seems like a decent price for one of those going to a crusher.  :headbang2:

Ice inside? Had a Dodge Intrepid a bit back and left the windows open during a fairly ugly storm. Soaked the interior!  FUCK ME!!  Then, left the windows open in the sun as often as possible to dry out, but still had ice inside to scrape during the winter.
 :hahaha:
I know this feeling.

By the end I had about 6 lbs of rice sewn into bags made from old T shirts in all the door pockets and along the windscreen.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11131 on: October 21, 2021, 06:07:47 AM »
Sold my old Ford Focus to a vehicle breaker.  It gave me 16 years and 126,000 miles of service.  It still drove OK but the seals had gone and it was too damp inside to live with through another winter.  It gets to something when you have to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield.

I got £280 for it's weight in scrap.

Probably should have traded for a quantity of pot, but £s can be useful, too.

That actually seems like a decent price for one of those going to a crusher.  :headbang2:

Ice inside? Had a Dodge Intrepid a bit back and left the windows open during a fairly ugly storm. Soaked the interior!  FUCK ME!!  Then, left the windows open in the sun as often as possible to dry out, but still had ice inside to scrape during the winter.
 :hahaha:
I know this feeling.

By the end I had about 6 lbs of rice sewn into bags made from old T shirts in all the door pockets and along the windscreen.

I'll certainly remember that for the "next time" things ghet wet. Good thinking.
 :thumbup:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11132 on: October 21, 2021, 06:16:11 AM »
Not In My Back Yard?

My sister may be facing the same problem. She has a property out in the country and they're wanting to build a main road through her back yard. But the council have been umming and ahhing for so long that she no longer listens to them.

We are WAY past all the "umming and ahhing" in these parts. I am uncomfortably, forced to either sign and date the city's proposal or end up committing to all that comes with preliminary court proceedings.
I have thirty days.

I've already decided whether to sign or not, so the hard part is done. :lol1:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11133 on: October 21, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »

I did something earlier that I am going to try again. I went to a temporary Halloween store and found this set of spooky, Halloweeny stencils to make small signs. They had a set of "drippy" letters to add a name to the Cat, Jack, etc. They were a buck. I bought ten.

So my artistic, done before, idea was to do a bleached T-shirt thingy. I took one of my blue ones, since blue dye is most sensitive to bleach damage and laid out the letters:

ENTERING THE GNARL

... taped it all together and used it to stencil a thinned down spritz of chlorine bleach onto the shirt until it seemed to work. Then into the vinegar.

It looks cool and it seemed to work.

The message may not make sense to some, but we entering should warn others.
 >:D

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #11134 on: October 22, 2021, 01:39:43 PM »
Went to an eye doctor appointment, got a new prescription as well as New Glasses on order.... afterwards I've been home the whole time taking care of Dad.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11135 on: October 23, 2021, 04:46:02 AM »
Got my courtyard and front garden cleaned and empty. Then had to do some DIY plumbing and made a mess of the laundry. I hope the new owners like tap spouts pointing diagonally  :P

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11136 on: October 23, 2021, 05:54:20 AM »
Got my courtyard and front garden cleaned and empty. Then had to do some DIY plumbing and made a mess of the laundry. I hope the new owners like tap spouts pointing diagonally  :P
Kayleigh did that with the bath spout. I didn't mind because I don't use the bath. :D
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11137 on: October 23, 2021, 06:47:47 AM »
Kayleigh did that with the bath spout. I didn't mind because I don't use the bath. :D

I mean the back tap kinda works because it's better for the hose, but when you turn the tap on without the hose the water splashes over the main water shut-off (possible future corrosion). The hot water inlet for the washing machine is also wonky but that doesn't affect the function a single bit.

Same here, my bath spout is very loosely screwed. The copper outlet pipe has threading on it deeper than the threading on the spout, so I had to get a cover plate, but then the cover plate is also too deep so the spout is only able to be screwed half on.

I can't fix too much, they bought it as is, but that back tap was leaking litres per day unknown to me

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11138 on: October 23, 2021, 09:57:08 PM »
I remember a long time ago when I was living in a rental by myself, I got a $200 power bill and I thought what the hell? Because that was very, very expensive back then and it was just me. How could I be using that much power?

I found the culprit - the electric hot water system outside was constantly dripping. I was straight onto the real estate agent managing rentals and they said they would get someone to have a look at it. They never did. I must have rung them at least 5 times to get it sorted but in the end I moved out because they were taking too long. I felt sorry for the next tenants.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11139 on: October 25, 2021, 07:37:16 PM »
Traveled thru the several stages.........car, train, plane, bus and automobile to get home.   
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11140 on: October 25, 2021, 10:00:35 PM »
Cleaned, disassembled the motor and oiled the bearings on a big upright fan I curb picked the other day.

It's working nicely now.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11141 on: October 26, 2021, 07:10:00 AM »
Got up early (for me), went to physio class. Got saturated on the way back out to the car because it was raining heavily. Stopped off at Macca's for an orange juice. Went to City Farmers to buy treats for the cats. Last stop was an auto accessories shop to get Kayleigh a cup holder for in the car because I ran over the previous one (I knocked it onto the ground behind the front wheel when I was putting bags in the car on the passenger side and didn't see or hear it. Then when I backed out I heard a crunch. Whoops!). The new one fits onto the vents so less chance of breaking it.

Talked for over an hour to mum who's still waiting for her hip replacement surgery.

Went to work and then had homemade burgers for dinner.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11142 on: October 26, 2021, 11:22:39 AM »
Went and measured a condo
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11143 on: October 26, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »
Shopped, paid bills.....yadda yadda yadda
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11144 on: October 27, 2021, 06:29:13 AM »
Went and measured a condo

Length?  Weight?  Style?  Social Relevance?  What unit of measurement are we talking about?
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?