Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157500 times)

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #11100 on: October 01, 2021, 11:46:41 AM »
Errands, housecleaning.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11101 on: October 01, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »
Damn near nothing.

I started laundry, made some chicken salad.
So I guess that's something.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11102 on: October 03, 2021, 08:46:51 PM »
Lost power in the middle of the evening. I ended up giving the cub a spooky Halloween bath by flashlight.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11103 on: October 04, 2021, 10:50:20 PM »

Not today, but all week. We are actually looking at houses now. Still no firm offer for our property from the city, yet, but we have MONSTER credit, with my wife's killer job, projected full wage pension and my investment returns, it looks good. Only just figured some of this out. We can have TWO houses, mortgaged. Seems insane, but the guy we hired to help us is fairly well respected and looking at our situation, he says just find a house, move and let the city take their sweet time settling with us for the OLD property.
Scares me. I feel we could lose everything.

One house we found that would work nicely, about our price range, INQUIRED with electronics. Seems to be the way it's done theses days.

All day and no response, until the realty agent emailed back at about 7PM to inform us that that particular house had eighteen bids in the morning and sold at 5PM.

This is a scary house market, indeed
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11104 on: October 04, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
I am actually more scared than before. Dipping my toe into the waters has burned my entire leg!

:hahaha:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11105 on: October 04, 2021, 11:35:35 PM »

Today, I lit up my first hand made Gandalf-Style Lord Of The Rings looking smoking pipe.
My idle hands find work, I can not stop. A few years ago I was taking steps toward making long stem pipes out of found wood and tree trimmings, firewood piles. Never really finished even one of them, but started seventeen of them.

I am smoking my first long stem pipe, just finished.

All my tools are packed and ready to move, except for a few hand tools and sanding equipment. I have finished one of them. It is oaken and first few bowls, not bad. I made a two inch long tenon for connecting the stem to the bowl, sealed it with windings of cotton thread and beeswax. It works!!

I'll post a pic when I can. Mine is almost exactly like Gandalf's pipe from the scene where he and Bilbo played smoke ring games, except mine has a larger, thicker, more substantial bowl.  Plus mine is made of oak instead of whatever his is. Mirkwood? Can not remember just now. I read it all in my teens and again in my twenties. Long faded have the memories of the details.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11106 on: October 05, 2021, 07:39:28 AM »
 :green: That sounds awesome.

... Eighteen bids, though, in a day?

:hide:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11107 on: October 06, 2021, 04:21:46 AM »
:green: That sounds awesome.

... Eighteen bids, though, in a day?

:hide:

This is the local market where we are trying to relocate our household necessities.

My contention is that The City HAS TO recognize that our house would generate the same interest to anyone looking to relocate here AND should just pay us well for screwing us over and finish what THEY started on a decent note.
No reason we can't strike a balance, even considering the volatility of the local market.

I do not want to benefit from this inconvenience. I just expect to be allowed a "lateral" or parallel move to a new home, similar to ours. I used the term re-dwelled, as if we are animals being sold and forgotten, but I still have a lot of neighing and snorting and a bit balking and biting left to do.

:viking:

The whole thing suxxors! :bigcry:

FUCK!! I mean we raised our kids in this house! I have a closet facia with growth progression markings, dated on both sides of the damn thing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 04:29:13 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11108 on: October 07, 2021, 03:02:25 PM »
Spent half of the day in meetings. Not easy trying to get things done.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11109 on: October 07, 2021, 06:06:16 PM »
Walked the dogs
Cleaned up around the house
Paperwork
Sorted out some  stuff in my messy office
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11110 on: October 07, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
Went to the dentist and had a crown removed to fix two cavities and get the crown redone.  Am now sitting with a temporary crown and having to alter my eating habits for the next month.  Mostly chewing on the side of my mouth away from the new crown.  OY!
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11111 on: October 08, 2021, 07:49:11 AM »
Weather has cleared, rain is done for a while, it seems. Very much needed. We got way behind in the spring and the reservoirs and streams were low most of the summer. Of course to balance all that out we have floods in vulnerable areas and a few bridges have been closed due to over run of the creeks. We needed the rain.

Our normal peak time for fall color usually happens in mid October, along with our first killing freeze of the season (and my birthday, BTW). Heavy rains this time of year usually means a delay in some of that and an extended "luxurious" fall time. I see one of the best fall times in years coming for this year. We need it. Fall is awesome here, mostly. But of late, just doesn't happen.
With the climate changes, we seem to have lost our spring and fall. We go quickly from winter to summer and summer to winter in October or November.

If things hold as it looks, we may have an Old Fashioned fall season. That would be great!

Today, I began a process which will eventually lead to my digging up a treasured shrub I want to relocate along with my pillows when we move.

This one is a carlesii variety of very fragrant flowering Virburnum. (https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/68490-product.html) I don't want to leave this baby behind.

It doesn't often get good reviews, but it requires a more acidic soil. I have to treat my "toxic" alkaline Indiana soil with sulphur and vinegar to keep mine flowering well.

Surprisingly, I am ready for this, A couple of years ago I had intended to split up some things and move some others to prepared locations in my garden. So, I trimmed them severely, root pruned and withheld nutriments in summer to allow them to be ready to dig up when winter dormancy approaches.
I feel my chances of success are good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:58:08 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11112 on: October 13, 2021, 02:02:45 AM »
Kids and I had a firepit evening.

Actually began with my son and I working his new tools. He has become enamored with blades lately, kind of like his dad. I can not get him to stop buying and start learning how to use what he already has.
He bought a throwing "tomahawk" and we began our evening throwing it over and over for about an hour. Then we tried to split the log we were throwing at. He began to see how ...

I got out my maul set and "finally" he sees some of why I have such a diverse set of tools for any job that might lead to "survival" in a world that is hateful to screen stuff.

This has been a journey and it seems that his "filling chests" with his idea of treasures has brought us to an educational moment. I just hope I have not wasted that moment. I saw it as fleeting and tried to monopolize continuing. Ended anyway.

He'll get there.

I am talking about the fact that my son never has wanted to touch anything and getting him to swing an ax is a very large step forward in this struggle!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 02:04:36 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11113 on: October 13, 2021, 05:45:21 PM »

I waited by the phone for call backs most of the day, so there is the on topic reference.

At one point I was awaiting twelve calls and thinking of beginning a betting board to play with my wife while she was still here before work.

(of course I wanted to bet oral sex, but my daughter was in the room. Waddayagonnado?)

I am really "feeling it" all today with the BOMB of having to contact so many people about SO many things. Any distraction, even betting on sex with someone you have already had fun with betting on sex in the past, might allow this day to NOT lead to a worse headache than I'm already enduring.

Addendum to the OT comment:  :thumbdn:

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #11114 on: October 14, 2021, 06:09:06 AM »
Sold my old Ford Focus to a vehicle breaker.  It gave me 16 years and 126,000 miles of service.  It still drove OK but the seals had gone and it was too damp inside to live with through another winter.  It gets to something when you have to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield.

I got £280 for it's weight in scrap.   

Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?