Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157594 times)

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #10635 on: September 29, 2020, 01:04:06 PM »
System is a bit different here when it comes to jobs sadly, so not sure how much of that advice is applicable - especially considering the difference between CVs and resumes, as CVs are a bit more involved. Thank you for the consideration though. :)

A lot of companies here use filtering software depending on factors like specific keywords (I presume to help sift out the large number of applicants), but the problem is that no one but the company knows what they are. This means writing a CV can be very hit or miss as you could not have specific keywords they're looking for. I learned this the hard way when I applied for the job I recently left prior to moving to the UK.

I give it to Emma to take a look, along with several companies that provide "CV advice" (which wildly ranges from my CV being terrible to wild sex on paper, with an urge to pay them to take a "personal" look). I've even got involved in selecting applicants to interview at one point. I still don't have a clue.  :tard:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10636 on: September 29, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
Helped the youngest with her homework. Battled a migraine.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10637 on: September 29, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »
Even by the time the CVs are filtered, the hiring manager often only takes about 20 seconds before deciding if you are worth further effort.

When I've been out of work previously I am usually lucky to average 1 interview per month, the job market is that bad for what I do. And employers still scream about a skills shortage and the need to bring people in on various short term visas at about 30% less than the market rate for 70 hour weeks. I'm not sure why the government actually believes this shite about skills shortages... but they do.

I am old enough to remember when there were REAL skills shortages in IT. When the company I worked for would put an ad in the paper for really good jobs, looking to hire around 20 people, only 12 months experience anywhere near a computer required, and they'd get ZERO applications. Literally.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10638 on: September 30, 2020, 12:55:32 AM »
There is a shortage of skills in my field but also a distinct lack of understanding of what those skills need to be. Moving to a new job almost always requires me to define them first, so the first few months tend to be about convincing the client.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10639 on: September 30, 2020, 02:24:39 AM »
There is a shortage of skills in my field but also a distinct lack of understanding of what those skills need to be. Moving to a new job almost always requires me to define them first, so the first few months tend to be about convincing the client.

What tends to happen is that employers will make out a ridiculous wishlist of skills and experience for their ideal employee for a role. And almost nobody can actually meet the criteria. It's not that there is a sills shortage, it's more that employers are looking for "purple unicorns".

I've been back in Sydney for almost ten years and I'm on my 3rd job in that time. I was completely unqualified for all 3 jobs, these were really niche areas where the employer had been looking for someone for ages and been rejecting multiple applicants and then they had to hire SOMEONE. So I'd get a 1 or 2 month initial contract and hit the ground running, and get my head into it as quick as I could. And ended up staying for years.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #10640 on: September 30, 2020, 02:37:30 AM »
I've seen this many times. For example companies wanting digital designers, but the requirements are more akin... to a full stack or software developer. I remember one company even asking for 5 years of experience in React.js, which at the time (2016)... was impossible since it only came out in 2013.

There are also jobs companies put up, but have no intention of hiring anyone. You know which is which, judging by the lack of response to your application (or say you're unsuitable despite meeting their criteria in every way, in one rare case). I don't understand why they even bother.  :wanker:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10641 on: September 30, 2020, 07:18:04 AM »
Cause they want to promote an internal applicant but they have to go through the motions?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #10642 on: September 30, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
Sometimes, especially if it's to hide the likes of nepotism or favoritism. Usually it's just to appear they're "positive employers", or a way to gain publicity for the company in general. In reality it just pisses people off.

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #10643 on: September 30, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
Woke up, helped put food away, made pizza for Dad and me... now I'm just hiding in my room

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10644 on: September 30, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
Got to run errands all by myself this morning (felt glorious). The fact that I dressed up in a nicely put together outfit just to go to the craft store and grocery store is rather comical. Picked up pastel de nata (Portuguese tarts) for tonight after dinner. Love those things. Had a shower. Read more of my book. Made a meal plan, grocery list and then ordered groceries for pick up this weekend. Didn't get to half of the things I wanted to get done today but it was productive overall.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10645 on: October 09, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »
Sometimes, especially if it's to hide the likes of nepotism or favoritism. Usually it's just to appear they're "positive employers", or a way to gain publicity for the company in general. In reality it just pisses people off.

Mostly the latter. It's a way of saying "look how well we're doing". They probably already have contracts with recruiters and it's cheaper than marketing.

But there are also jobs that never get filled. There's been a dev/architect job in my field for years now, originally on-site in Switzerland but now remote and whatever you want it to be, basically. Nobody wants it, and yet the recruiters never tire of calling those of us who match the keywords on LinkedIn. I don't know how many times a recruiter has called me about that one, and a friend of mine was called almost daily for a while.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10646 on: October 09, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »
What's the catch?  :laugh:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10647 on: October 09, 2020, 10:50:01 AM »
Money. A company well known to suck the life-force out of their employees. The job itself, defined from the top down and impossible to do successfully. The fact that it's been on for years. It's now a self-fulfilling prophecy.

And did I mention money? :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10648 on: October 09, 2020, 04:35:18 PM »
It's bizarre how "Maybe we need to set a higher target salary" never seems to quite make it to the surface of all the various layers of corporate think.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10649 on: October 09, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
Today all I have done is wake up, encourage Kayleigh to take her meds, take my meds which included a pill for reflux (I've only just realised that the instructions say to take it in the morning, not at night which I was doing) and visit here.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae