Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157611 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #9240 on: September 24, 2018, 10:36:20 PM »
What made you decide to plasti-dip all the trim on your car?

*shrugs* a change. It's easy to remove if I change my mind.

Anyway the grille surround is now done. Looks decent except for the uneven coats and little bits of patching I had to do with a small brush after some edges came off with the masking tape. Just don't look at it too closely and everything's fine :laugh:

Good thing you can remove if you want. Cars are always worth more when stock.   ;)

Generally true. Talking about "plastic stuff,"  the new trend around here is to use Rhino Shield to cover your entire truck, instead of just the inside of the bed.
Not so easy to remove, that one.

They look cool as hell! I have seen many just completely blacked out all one color and not just black, either. Did you know that shit came in bright yellow? Saw one a while back all yellow with what resembled waves (instead of fire?) along the bottom in black.
I like it, but I have a feeling that it would be difficult to change your mind and go a different direction.

I'm guessing it started as a California thing and you know all about it.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 10:38:50 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #9241 on: September 24, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »
Bugger the bible Bastet,  only thing thats good for, is an almost inexhaustible supply of emergency skins for people caught out short in a hotel room without a bowl :P

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9242 on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
Two trash bags of stuffed animals and 2 bags of paperback books to one thrift store (I don't particularly like this store, but they are the only ones who will take stuffed animals)
Two trash bags of plastic grocery bags and one grocery bag of "good" items to a second thrift store
Grocery shopped
Home
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9243 on: September 28, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Worked. Took care of stuff, including renewing my driver's license.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9244 on: September 28, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
Worked on the first floor bathroom. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9245 on: September 28, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »

I'll see you and raise you one floor.

BIL came up and helped him replace the leaky tub faucet and plumbing for the shower in the second floor bathroom yesterday, I'm still cleaning up the mess today.

Had to cut out half the damn wall in the closet of the adjoining room but finally figured out why we've had shitty water pressure from the shower head for the last 35+ years.

When you're teaching your sons how to build houses and leave them alone, w/beer... and they run out of elbows.

How that didn't bust in all those years is beyond me.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9246 on: September 29, 2018, 06:08:52 AM »

Damn, that's ugly. Never drink and plumb.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9247 on: September 29, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »

I'll see you and raise you one floor.

BIL came up and helped him replace the leaky tub faucet and plumbing for the shower in the second floor bathroom yesterday, I'm still cleaning up the mess today.

Had to cut out half the damn wall in the closet of the adjoining room but finally figured out why we've had shitty water pressure from the shower head for the last 35+ years.

When you're teaching your sons how to build houses and leave them alone, w/beer... and they run out of elbows.

How that didn't bust in all those years is beyond me.

:zombiefuck:
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9248 on: September 30, 2018, 10:47:56 PM »
Got up early for a train to Copenhagen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9249 on: October 01, 2018, 07:40:33 AM »
Thats one ugly fucking kludge with the piping. Jesus christ.

Note to self-do NOT let the bugger responsible for that ABORTION of a piece of work anywhere remotely near the vicinity of the lab, the volatiles and corrosives fridge where I keep particularly volatile solvents, ether, THF and the likes, as well as things that need to be kept cool, such as the easily oxidized benzaldehyde, along with generic 'nasties' that want nothing better than to eat your face off, such as my  bottles of bromine, iodine monochloride, and perishables such as acid anhydrides, carboxylic acid chlorides and similar acylating and halogenating reagents, or anywhere near the chemical cupboard in the kitchen, the chromic acid wastes tank sat just outside said cupboard (hexavalent chromium is pretty noxious stuff, carcinogenic and toxic, and both the chromic acid itself, and the wastes, are Cr in its (VI) oxidation state. Can't just go down the drain, it'd poison the environment, and potentially people too.

so I just let it all build up in demijohns, until there is enough to warrant evaporating or vacuum distilling, once I replace my rotary vane pump, off all the water, to the extent that the hexavalent chromium wastes are reduced to a thick, pasty consistency (after pouring out of the demijohns of course otherwise it'd be a bugger to get back out again and bollocks if I'm going to be farting about trying to poke out a crap ton of hexavalent chromium slops from a big jar with a too-narrow mouth to get sludge out), I've every intention of recycling it all, not taking it to the recycle depo, I mean, but recycling it for the chromium salts, with the intention of oxidizing it back to sodium dichromate, so I can re-use it for making more chromic acid ('chromic acid' in this context, isn't intended to mean H2Cr2O4, specifically, but a mixed bag of oxidizing species created when a dichromate salt is added to concentrated sulfuric acid. It's not something you want to be exposed to, and it damn well isn't something that can be allowed to escape into nature, toxic, carcinogenic, but its very good at doing what it does; namely burning the living shit out of tars, stains, polymerized byproducts of this, that and t'other, for when you've gotten flasks, test tubes, beakers, condensers etc. all grimy and in need of being slapped about mercilessly until it screams and runs away.

But it does create nasty heavy metal wastes, Cr in its trivalent state is a lot less toxic, but hexavalent (Cr (VI) ) chromium is really toxic ugly stuff, I prefer to use it over piranha acid though for when the big guns need to be pulled out for cleaning house, so to speak; because piranha acid is fucking dangerous shit, and base piranha damages glass, and is unsuitable especially for what I use piranha mixtures for, cleaning buchner funnel frits, because base piranha actually removes a very thin layer of glass from the item being cleaned. Not something the likes of a thick walled flask or the like can't handle if it really needs to be used, but completely unsuitable for use cleaning frits, because the porosity of them is critical, and they are graded according to the size of the pores. My finest one for example, for small scale work, microscale to a few grams, is so damn fine, in terms of the porosity of the frit, that it'll stop a good many bacteria, if not most of them, maximal pore size is just 5 microns, lower end is about 3.5-4 microns in diameter, so corroding the glass with the likes of base piranha would be unthinkable, and severely compromize the glassware.

So why not recycle, turn it back into dichromate, reclaim the sulfuric acid too possibly, by distillation under hard vacuum, granted thats being a real cheapskate, since sulfuric is cheap as chips, but I do go through quite a lot of H2SO4, that, along with hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) along with perhaps, ammonia, are probably the 4 chemicals I use most of, and in bulk. Sulfuric especially as it has so many uses, when concentrated, useful for synthesizing ethers out of alcohols, including diethyl ether for solvent use, or if the synthesis temperature is tweaked up, diethyl sulfate, an alkylating agent (extremely toxic too, but good at ethylating things. Unfortunately DNA is one of them, so it needs to be used with extreme caution), or higher still, ethylene gas. Good for dehydrating gases that won't react with it, for making chromic acid etch for glass cleaning, for preparing sulfate salts, or the last resort glassware cleaners piranha acid (mixture of concentrated sulfuric acid/hydrogen peroxide 3:1) or base piranha (strong peroxide, mixed with concentrated aqueous ammonia, or the more vicious 'base bath' variation on base piranha, leaves out the NH3 and substitutes caustic potash. Damages glass though so it can only be used as a last resort and on certain types of glassware, because it strips a thin surface layer of glass right out from under the nasty ass baked-on grime), as well as making bisulfate, for dehydrating things, scrubbing various noxious gaseous fumes, such as neutralizing ammonia gas effluent when bubbled through first a suck-back arrestor and then into a trap containing some sulfuric acid, which neutralizes the ammonia as ammonium sulfate, from which the ammonia can be recycled by just adding sodium hydroxide, displacing NH3 gas and forming sodium sulfate as a byproduct, which itself won't be wasted because when roasted to it's anhydrous state, it can be used as a gentle dessicant for drying the nonpolar phase of acid-base extractions whilst the solute is still in there, so things crystallize well, as an alternative to anhydrous magnesium sulfate)

(I'm all for efficiency and recycling in my lab doings, and try to arrange things so even the waste products of waste products of byproducts end up finding a new life as something else of use. The local fire dept. wanted to look over the lab at one point, after being made aware of it by the filth, after the latter pack of shiteating rat bastards had illegally entered and searched the place. Not that there is a damn point, given they aren't chemists, and unless something was labelled 'nitroglycerin' or stuffed into capped steel pipes full of shrapnel with a fuse pointing out of one end, then there isn't anything they could find even if it was there. They are far too stupid, too much of a blunt instrument. Which have no place anywhere NEAR a lab. Assuming they wished to minimize dang,er to the public, they would do a lot fucking better by clearing the fuck off and going nowhere near the place. THEY are a damn danger to the public, let near chemicals they have no idea of the reactivity, toxicity, flammability, corrosive capabilities or potential pyrophoricity. Open the wrong jar or bottle in my reagent stores, and there are things that would gas the person doing so, if they were not set up to open the thing in the correct way with ventilation, possibly specific atmospheric requirements, aversity to moisture etc., or even burst into flames on contact with air.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9250 on: October 01, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
This morning I went for a job interview for Coles (supermarket). The lady was really nice but sprung a test on me that was about the money side of things. Also identifying one product out of a group of four similar products. That was the easiest part.

I was also asked about my autism. This was hard to answer (but why should it be, I've known for 13 years) but I just said some stuff like social interactions were sometimes difficult and I couldn't process several verbal instructions at once, preferred to have them written down. That could be an ADHD thing though.

I hope I passed that computer test. It was interesting.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #9251 on: October 01, 2018, 10:11:18 PM »
Good Luck.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9252 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:51 PM »
Good luck Ren with the Coles job. I think you will be great at it if they give you a chance.

I briefly worked for a supermarket (part time) when I was 15. It was great. I did so well on the aptitude test (which was maths and logic based) that they put me in the deli. I was so bad at that, they put me in the car park collecting trolleys. I was really good at that. No tractors in those days, I'd just stack 'em up and push 'em up the hill.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9253 on: October 02, 2018, 01:45:36 AM »
Good look  Ren.

And if all else fails, whip out that autie death-glare and  flay their souls from the marrow of their bones and Devour.Their.Hearts. :autism:

(guessing it'd be scary to them weird ass NT types, who probably aren't bright enough as  a rule to realize it is in fact, downright foxy :) )

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9254 on: October 02, 2018, 06:06:22 AM »
Well, in a few moments after the early attendance rush calms down at my daughter's school.
I need to go over to the school and deliver some immunization records. We brought her up to date last week but she has forgotten to take the records to the school's nursing staff ALL week, even when I placed then on top of her book bag.

She will be suspended today if those records are not on file.

NOPE!! Those idiotic parents who "Never Immunize" are NOT free to have their infectious offsping attend our public schools here in Indiana!
I am not one of those idiots - just with all my retirement stuff, house stuff and my wife's car stuff, we DID let her shots be set aside for a bit, but no more. It was done last week. Now I just have to go prove it. Guilty until proven innocent in this case.