Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157470 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #8175 on: April 22, 2017, 05:57:12 PM »

Went to Goodwill two days ago with my daughter and spent about ninety bucks. We bought four pants and six shirts for my daughter, four shirts for my son, a cookbook for my son called (Now get this!!),  " A Man, A Can And A Plan." 

How cool is that!??! The idea is that it has the same hardbound pages like the books for tiny toddlers (easy to clean off and hard to start on fire) and every recipe is about things that can be found in almost any pantry. So you cook some noodles open various cans of things and bake or microwave or skillet for a bit and you have a meal that takes NO effort or pre-planning. Perfect for someone with barely any skills but just needs to get a few successes under his/her belt to gain some confidence.

My daughter took over three hours trying on things and eliminating and working through her favorites until we had it all narrowed down. Very  worth the time spent, since she feels great in her "new"  clothes.

I also found her a mechanical teaball, spring-loaded. I found a decent high quality stainless steel small skillet, that was so ugly and black that no one would buy it. Well no one who does not own a bad ass table mounted buffer to just rip all the old burned on grease away in about five minutes, leaving a super shiny, brand new looking stainless steel surface.

I found two large ugly Hawaiian shirts and some cool record albums for myself.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8176 on: April 22, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »

Today (probably should put this in the Bitchin thread.) I had to work security at the BBY store. We have upgraded our monitor system; now there are two monitors, with quad split screens all panning and zooming at various rates.

I came home a bit over stimulated and slightly sick from a type of visual vertigo I get every time I have to do this.

I am going to assume some group hugs here, please!
 :grouphug:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8177 on: April 22, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »
On another note, one of the ways I get over some of that shit happens in my garden.

Some pics:

One of my Clematis plants, just getting going.
Then a continuation of the emergence of the Evil knotweed we have nearly discussed to death. This one is benign AND beautiful.

Third pic; funny thing about redbud is that they tend to bloom right along the trunk. Fun!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8178 on: April 22, 2017, 07:06:54 PM »
More:

First might be my favorite Hosta. This guy will grow to over three feet tall and even wider before late fall freezing sets it into winter dormancy.

A close shot of one of the Clematis blooms. I grow five of these. Interestingly, this one has seeded nearby and I now have a new plant embedded into one of my Hydrangea plants. I may have to do some late season surgery to dig it out and separate it from the compacted roots it has managed to grow in.

This is a point to refer back to reality of a previous post. My eight foot by three foot bed of "Variegated Solomon's Seal" (fragrant) looks as it is just over a foot tall. It will grow to over four feet tall before the season ends.
Oh, all that dark green in the background is an unused step on our side yard that I have allowed to be monopolized by plain old ivy (Hedera helix).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:22:49 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8179 on: April 22, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
More:

Next is a variegated Dogwood (more of an amazing shrub, than a dogwood tree) just beginning to retake its territory. Some more Hedera and Salix in the background. (yep, I grow aspirin plants)
Then a close up of a Parrot Tulip (hard to explain. Understand that these have been deliberately infected with a particular virus that causes variations in color of individual petals and some scalloping of the outer edges of the petals, quite unlike normal tulips. Some are quite fetching!) about to open. More of these to come, soon.

Some bluebells. I have just thrown randomly placed bluebells by just holding a bucketful and throwing them across the yard, then digging them into the proper depth where they fell. Great way to attempt for a a random planting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:31:36 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8180 on: April 22, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »
Sad story this time:

A robin nest that was not tethered well enough to stand up to the storms we had on Thursday night. I found five broken eggs below it all with partially mature chicks inside.  All five dead and abandoned.
 :'(

I do not want to run out of robins!!
It had fallen into my sage (decorative variety) as some may tell from the background leaves.

I really wish there was a way to post these images at full resolution, instead of about one one hundredth of the original size.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 07:33:52 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8181 on: April 22, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »

Went to Goodwill two days ago with my daughter and spent about ninety bucks. We bought four pants and six shirts for my daughter, four shirts for my son, a cookbook for my son called (Now get this!!),  " A Man, A Can And A Plan." 

How cool is that!??! The idea is that it has the same hardbound pages like the books for tiny toddlers (easy to clean off and hard to start on fire) and every recipe is about things that can be found in almost any pantry. So you cook some noodles open various cans of things and bake or microwave or skillet for a bit and you have a meal that takes NO effort or pre-planning. Perfect for someone with barely any skills but just needs to get a few successes under his/her belt to gain some confidence.

My daughter took over three hours trying on things and eliminating and working through her favorites until we had it all narrowed down. Very  worth the time spent, since she feels great in her "new"  clothes.

I also found her a mechanical teaball, spring-loaded. I found a decent high quality stainless steel small skillet, that was so ugly and black that no one would buy it. Well no one who does not own a bad ass table mounted buffer to just rip all the old burned on grease away in about five minutes, leaving a super shiny, brand new looking stainless steel surface.

Our Goodwills have been offering a 15% discount to shoppers 55+.  They've now added a color tag of the week with a 50% discount.  When they realized they weren't moving many (read almost no) books they dropped the paperbacks from 99 to 50 cents and hard backs from 1.99 to 99 cents.  I have 4 "chain" thrift stores and a salvage grocery store within a 10 minute drive.  I like my location.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8182 on: April 22, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »

Our Goodwills have been offering a 15% discount to shoppers 55+.  They've now added a color tag of the week with a 50% discount.  When they realized they weren't moving many (read almost no) books they dropped the paperbacks from 99 to 50 cents and hard backs from 1.99 to 99 cents.  I have 4 "chain" thrift stores and a salvage grocery store within a 10 minute drive.  I like my location.

Ten Minutes!??!
You are blessed. We have the same sales, but only one Goodwill store and one Salvation Army store and that is IT!
My son will not allow us to patronize the Salvation Army store due to an upset a few years ago with the LBGTQ community on the basis of their Christian foundation.

Seems they would not allow a gay Santa bell ringer to do his work during their biggest push for donations a few years back. This offends my son to the point that he will never ever go there; nor will he ever, ever go to a Chic-fil-a (spelling?)  restaurant, ever, for the same Christian stance.

Remember the "kiss in" protests where gays would stand in line blocking service while lip-locked in a nasty display of public affection. It got the Christians going against gay shit in their stores.  Started over the big boss making a statement against same sex marriage. So WE All Go There, Disrupt the Flow of service and Kiss. LoL

My son has decided that he is atheist and maybe a few more things too. He is eighteen and never had a job of any kind. Going to graduate high school next month.

I feel I have failed him in many ways as a parent. He should at least be looking for a fucking job.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 08:08:15 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8183 on: April 22, 2017, 11:06:19 PM »
^The same thing happened here with the local Salvation Army store. But because it is so close (5 minute walk away) we have gone there anyway.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8184 on: April 23, 2017, 01:54:45 AM »
Woke up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8185 on: April 23, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »
  Fuck if I know.  Lots of procrastination and avoidance.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8186 on: April 23, 2017, 08:49:45 AM »
Went out to breakfast
Fixed a hand truck
Built a fire ring around a stump with cinder blocks
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8187 on: April 23, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »
Drove people from A to B.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8188 on: April 23, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »
Fucking annoying as hell merury-aluminium amalgam reduction..bleh...don't much like mercury reactions, and Al/Hg least of all.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8189 on: April 23, 2017, 06:42:34 PM »
Took The PR bowling.  SHE SCORED A TURKEY (3 strikes in a row.)
Pretty much it.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: