Educational

Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157292 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #8145 on: February 05, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
I hoarded some toilet paper and water.  :orly:

Not all together, I hope.  :hahaha: :trollface:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #8146 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »

I'm actually a little curious how much water I can amass before anyone says something about it.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8147 on: February 05, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

I'm actually a little curious how much water I can amass before anyone says something about it.  :zoinks:

We're not fat, we're just amassing water.  :gopher: :sumo:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8148 on: February 07, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
Shut the car window before the rain started.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #8149 on: February 07, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
Called out of work for both Amber and myself.  The roads are slick and slushy with the promise of an ice storm coming this evening.  I'd rather be a live coward than a dead good worker!   :trollskull:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8150 on: February 07, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »
Called out of work for both Amber and myself.  The roads are slick and slushy with the promise of an ice storm coming this evening.  I'd rather be a live coward than a dead good worker!   :trollskull:

Ice is coming tonight?  Yikes.  Glad I'm already home.  :nicegear:

People forget.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8151 on: February 07, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »

Keeping an eye on the weather for Carla as she gets out of work at 9pm.  So far it is sleet and snow, freezing rain is not supposed to start until closer to midnight.  I've been texting her to keep her updated.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8152 on: February 07, 2017, 06:04:29 PM »

Keeping an eye on the weather for Carla as she gets out of work at 9pm.  So far it is sleet and snow, freezing rain is not supposed to start until closer to midnight.  I've been texting her to keep her updated.

Wishing her a safe commute home.  :crossed:

People forget.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8153 on: February 07, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »

Wishing her a safe commute home.  :crossed:

You and me both!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8154 on: February 07, 2017, 11:30:39 PM »
Went up at stupid o'clock to catch a flight.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #8155 on: February 08, 2017, 08:53:03 AM »
Went into H&M, tried to find this bag in sale and couldn't anywhere. Then I saw it on the display model, and carefully took the last bag off. I got a couple of looks, but they weren't judgemental, just curious.

Well, it was reduced from £25 to £7.  :green:

Though I fully realise a lot of shops make their prices high and then have lots of "sales", I think this was genuinely good value.

I have these fur lined boots from there too, my right boot squeaks. All other shoes I've bought from there though have lasted.

I think H&M are one of the few shops that do nice looking clothes and for decent prices. Their sizing varies quite a bit sometimes, though.

I don't get why so many womens' clothes are incredibly DULL. I mean, childrens' clothes are way nicer. That, and I don't get this bin bag type fashion where tops are loose and baggy. I mean what the Hell?
:dog:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8156 on: February 08, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
Spent the day at T3, Heathrow, wishing it would end.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8157 on: April 11, 2017, 02:34:31 AM »
Took my friend all over the place after we had lunch which was pancakes. She still has pleurisy and so still can't drive.

After lunch we went to a shopping centre where she bought a teddy bear for her doctor (I really don't understand this but go along with it anyway) then to her doctor appointment (where apparently her doctor loved the bear) and then to the chemist where she bought her meds, and then to the tattoo shop where she booked her next appointment there. Then I drove her home. It was all local so I didn't mind. Besides, lunch was free. Will be doing it all again on Thursday, except in different order.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:36:05 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #8158 on: April 11, 2017, 03:35:03 AM »
A free lunch is always good, even if there isn't meant to be any such thing.

Me...I..err...vented the kitchen out, and scraped off some parts of a spray of burn marks now firmly part of one of the kitchen cabinets after a long-necked ampoule broke open under heat-sealing, and resulted in a jet of molten white phosphorus. Left the windows open and the extractor fan on for the night to clear out the smoke. Was only a few grams of willy pete, but damn, the stuff doesn't half make one hell of a lot of acidic smoke (P2O5, phosphorus pentoxide, is the smoke, actually a dimer, P4O10, its the anhydride of (ortho)phosphoric acid, H3PO4 and about the most extremely powerful dessicant available, the strongest I know of anyway, available or otherwise, bar things that don't hydrate, but chemically react to form a second compound, preferably gaseous, which escapes, taking the water with it after chemically abstracting same, such as for example, using calcium carbide, CaC2, to produce acetylene gas for final end-stage drying of alcohols, distillation over calcium carbide is one of the best ways, after pretreating with other drying agents, to rid an alcohol of every last single tiny trace of H2O)

That phosphorus mishap was messy, to say the least, but no harm done. I'm more displeased about the loss of the amp, as I had to butcher a pipette to make it, and of the elemental phosphorus itself. Since for most hobbyist chemists its extremely hard to come by, it kinda feels wasteful, even though I haven't any problem getting it, and I used a mere few thousandths of what I have. Its just the principle of it really, and I'd rather have been able to salvage it at least.

No harm done to me, coat took any fine particulates of burning WP coming my way below head height, and my face shield kept it from hitting me in the face. Only marks on me were some singed sections of hair that got frazzled to a crisp, because whilst the protective shield is a full face, top of head and right down to just below shoulder blades model and even blast-rated my hair is longer than the shield is. Or at least, as of now, most of it is :P

Decided to go switch from preparing a better sample of WP, temporarily, until I can get some better, thicker amps,  to another project. Going back to my boron experiments. Currently I'm evaporating the results of a mixture of borax (sodium borate) mixed with concentrated hydrochloric acid to give boric acid and table salt. That has had the excess HCl acid brought to neutral PH with saturated sodium carbonate solution and the resulting solution and pasty white foamy slurry is having the water evaporated off first, or most of it, and finally, I'll roast it to give me boron trioxide, B2O3, either before or after this stage removing the sodium chloride, perhaps by treatment with sulfuric acid to give sodium sulfate and boric acid, driving off HCl gas, because sodium sulfate is less soluble, and can be treated with a calcium salt, to perform a salt metathesis reaction giving calcium sulfate, gypsum, or plaster of paris when roasted, which is insoluble, careful leaching with dilute acid should then give me boric acid and the calcium sulfate, form either a solution of boric acid, or form an ester of it, like triethyl borate, which will be volatile and distillable, but decompose to boron oxides or boric acid, I forget which on burning it, thus purifying it for the last stage prior to liberating the elemental boron.

Namely, mixing it with magnesium powder, in the correct molar ratio to reduce whatever is the quantity of boron trioxide I'll eventually end up with, purified and freed of the salt, in a mold, with a hole in the bottom such as a tin can, something disposable, with a hole punched through the bottom, just a small one to provide a weakest point for the intense heat produced during the metallothermic reduction by magnesium to give boron in the elemental state, along with some magnesium oxide, and probably some magnesium boride, although I hope to minimize the latter due to the fact that I intend on removing the magnesium traces by treatment with dilute hydrochloric acid. With magnesium boride, this will produce the extremely poisonous, and upon contact with air or water, pyrophoric diborane and possibly pentaborane, both of which are toxic as hell. But the exit gases will be decomposed by leading them out directly onto a red-hot surface made from a piece of aluminium metal, which will pyrolyze the di/penta/decaborane gases and form a film of very pure elemental boron indeed, and dissolve away the aluminium using dilute sodium or potassium hydroxide perhaps. The decomposition of diborane and other boranes is IIRC a process used in the semiconductor industry to produce epitaxial films of boron, and to refine boron to extreme degrees of purity. I might play about with growing such films on foils of other metals that can be similarly decomposed, or even of graphene, graphene oxide, quartz, glass, or ultra-thin layers of graphite which might give some interesting electrical properties to play about with. Especially in the case of the 1-dimensional compound graphene.

First, time to check on the evaporation of water from my boric acid. At the very poorest, I can expect to produce some elemental boron, additional effort would of course, and safety precautions, need to go into refining it to semiconductor-grade for use in growing ultra-thin epitaxial layers.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8159 on: April 11, 2017, 05:58:23 AM »
  I brought my bag of trash and bag of recyclable cardboard and paper to the curb.  :M :angel:

People forget.