Author Topic: What have you done today? (Pt 2)  (Read 157643 times)

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: What have you done today? (Pt 2)
« Reply #7605 on: September 14, 2016, 03:48:21 PM »
Gym...again. 6th day in a row and a 7th tomorrow since I am having a 1 to 1 session with my old trainer.
Put some money into a different bank account.
Tea in Costa...usual boring crap. Now watching Cops, as I still have a major interest in crime and well, the series is just so uber dramatic.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7606 on: September 14, 2016, 03:55:02 PM »
My Mom was a 3rd generation Capricorn and she lived with her widowed mother and widowed grandmother during the Depression and WW2.  Capricorn's motto is Eat it up, Wear it out.  Make it do or do without.  We ate mostly home cooked meals, stretched meals, etc.  Except for shoes, socks and boys swim trunks (they were cheaper than girls suits, and nobody cared if we wore them), all our clothes were homemade. 

I got my first store bought skirt in 1963. Just the skirt because the matching top was 59 cents which Mom thought was too much to pay.  76 cents for the skirt was okay because it was a poodle skirt with a lot of material.
Supermarket shelved goods generally have a storage life of 1-3 years, so expired foods in a household are clearly indicative of wasteful behaviors, buying too much, failure to rotate, or simply buying things with no real desire to eat it. My husband's reflex to cling to expired foods probably has nothing to do with how debatable are expiration dates, but it's rather an emotional response attempting to deny the reality of wasteful behavior. A waste-not/want-not philosophy doesn't reconcile with food that's been sitting around for over a year.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7607 on: September 14, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
Met with a friend for a pint. Nice. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #7608 on: September 14, 2016, 04:47:42 PM »
My Mom was a 3rd generation Capricorn and she lived with her widowed mother and widowed grandmother during the Depression and WW2.  Capricorn's motto is Eat it up, Wear it out.  Make it do or do without.  We ate mostly home cooked meals, stretched meals, etc.  Except for shoes, socks and boys swim trunks (they were cheaper than girls suits, and nobody cared if we wore them), all our clothes were homemade. 

I got my first store bought skirt in 1963. Just the skirt because the matching top was 59 cents which Mom thought was too much to pay.  76 cents for the skirt was okay because it was a poodle skirt with a lot of material.
Supermarket shelved goods generally have a storage life of 1-3 years, so expired foods in a household are clearly indicative of wasteful behaviors, buying too much, failure to rotate, or simply buying things with no real desire to eat it. My husband's reflex to cling to expired foods probably has nothing to do with how debatable are expiration dates, but it's rather an emotional response attempting to deny the reality of wasteful behavior. A waste-not/want-not philosophy doesn't reconcile with food that's been sitting around for over a year.

SO used to view it as throwing money away.
His family never had much and what they did buy was usually the cheapest of everything.

He would go shopping with his mother after the boy was born and I would end up with 3 cases of generic instant oatmeal, 5 jars of cheap watery spaghetti sauce, 3 boxes of noodles, 2 lbs of 1.99 chipped ham, 1 lb of greasy bologna, a jar of generic peanut butter, a tub of some mystery I'm definitely not butter WTF spread, and 2 loaves of white bread.

"But mom said....this was cheaper". The woman almost had a fucking breakdown when she came down one day and I put "real" butter on "fresh" green beans.

"Why are you using real butter?!!!"
"No one should use "real" butter....NO ONE!!!."

It's the 23rd sin down on the list right after having sex before marriage and not hanging thermal drapes on every window to block out the sun.

I really should write a book, Duck Dynasty has nothing.

Not even close.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7609 on: September 14, 2016, 05:57:06 PM »
Outside family interference does make it worse. Have a tiny deep freezer in the garage because when mom visits her family each year, they send her back loaded with coolers and boxes of food. Have uncles who hunt and fish and make their own sausages, and aunts who preserve fruits and jams, so it's appreciated, but they send entirely too much and foods aren't really treats when they're running out the ears. Just roll with it because it's impossible to say anything. Absolutely love my one aunt's candied figs as she uses my grandmother's recipe so it's like a sweet taste of childhood. How to ever tell her that two jars would be fine, and is she trying to give me diabetes by sending an entire case? :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7610 on: September 14, 2016, 06:08:03 PM »
Hey, you have Christmas gifts for every single one of your friends and coworkers.  :lol1:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #7611 on: September 14, 2016, 06:09:34 PM »
:laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7612 on: September 15, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
Worked got done early
Took a shower then napped a bit
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7613 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
Almost died doing 1 to 1 with my old trainer again.
Good news is, I have somehow gotten back to near my old fitness by myself over the course of a few months, in spite of having sat on my butt for well over a year.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7614 on: September 15, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
The PR to the ARC, doctor appointment and lab work, thrift store to buy slow cooker, laundry, pick up The PR, library, grocery, whew.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #7615 on: September 16, 2016, 01:58:04 AM »
I still think 'ARC' or rather what it stands for is a disgusting name.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7616 on: September 16, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »
Submitted ID for voluntary work with the elderly and did hour and half at the gym.
Stocked up on chicken and vegetabls, fruit and nuts.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7617 on: September 16, 2016, 04:45:23 PM »
Got a notification that my debit card had been hacked.  Wondered why it was declined twice yesterday.  No money taken, old card cancelled and new card issued.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #7618 on: September 16, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
In a meeting I can't discuss, but DAMN Dubya fucked up more than any of you will ever know in invading Iraq and opened the door for where things are now in the region.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7619 on: September 17, 2016, 12:48:27 AM »
Got a notification that my debit card had been hacked.  Wondered why it was declined twice yesterday.  No money taken, old card cancelled and new card issued.

And the bank discovered it? Lucky you.

I had a call from my bank a couple of years ago. They wondered if I had bought something in Turkey the day before. I hadn't. My card had been hacked.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein